Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #11
steely_cass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by debdebdebby13
I see you are in OKC. I have delivered at Mercy and at that point they were NOT very naturally minded. I am at OU Children's this time because they are the most likely to hold off on interventions, probably followed by Deaconess. The only big hospital I don't know much about is Baptist. You can google state c-section rates by hospital, OU is the best, Mercy is the worst, surprise, surprise.
Baptist is where my heart team is at unfortunately. It's where I intended to deliver, but the more research I do, the more I'm drawn to OU.

Are you seeing OBs at OU or the hospital midwives? I'm thinking about doing a consult with the midwives and seeing if they would even consider me as a patient. I doubt it, but if they'll take me, I'll probably try that route.

Advertisement

and Wilder (July '14)
steely_cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #12
steely_cass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver)O(Moon
The L&D nurses know. Call your hospital and ask them who they recommend for a natural birth.
This is a great idea! I'll definitely be doing this if the midwives decline me.
and Wilder (July '14)
steely_cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #13
dani_p
Registered Users

Search FB for a mom's group in your area. Most major cities have them and they are a great resource for recommendations for anything from doctors to landscapers to babysitters. I'd be lost in my new city without them!
Expecting number two (04/14)!
dani_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #14
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do I find a natural OB?

When you are talking with the midwives, tell them you understand their concern and ask them to recommend a OB that is more natural. They might know and you are already talking with them.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #15
Tida
Registered Users
seller

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth gives questions to ask a doctor. Things like "what forms of pain relief do you recommend? " what is your induction rate? What methods do you use? " is there a time limit for labor? " she had lots more. I'm sure you can find similar suggestions with a Google search. I think I remember reading to ask the doctor why they went into OBGYN. Some do it for the surgery aspect, so they certainly aren't going to be hands of.
Tida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #16
debdebdebby13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steely_cass View Post
Baptist is where my heart team is at unfortunately. It's where I intended to deliver, but the more research I do, the more I'm drawn to OU.

Are you seeing OBs at OU or the hospital midwives? I'm thinking about doing a consult with the midwives and seeing if they would even consider me as a patient. I doubt it, but if they'll take me, I'll probably try that route.
I am with an OB because I am attempting VBAC. I know OU is well known for their work with high risk mothers. That might not include heart patients, but I don't know for sure. What I've found though, is even the OBs are more naturally minded than I would expect from an OB. When I toured the hospital the nurse said their epidural rate is 50% which seems really low all things considered.

I see Dr. Gibson BTW, she has been great so far.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #17
bazil323
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Depending on your state, the hospital association may post statistics for some things. For example, in my state the Wisconsin Hospital Association has a separate website called CheckPoint where you can look up data at various hospitals. They don't report everything, and not all hospitals are members so don't have data, but the vast majority of hospitals are members and do have to report this data. I don't know if other states have comparable publicly-reported data websites, but I would assume so.

You can also go to the websites of the clinics in your area and look up the profiles of each doctor and then google their name (be sure to include the whole name & their doctorate which will be either MD or DO) to see what kind of things pop up and if they have reviews on websites like healthgrades.com.

I also like the idea of asking the area midwives if they have recommendations for natural-friendly OBs since they are the ones who are most active and may have to work with them closely and will know if they have run into obstacles with certain doctors.

You may be able to schedule a consultation appointment to see if the OB fits once you have the selections narrowed down, but I would call the clinic and ask if they charge for a get-to-know-you visit, some do and some don't.
bazil323 is offline   Reply With Quote