Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
cjslater1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
measuring ahead?

At my apt last week my doctor told me I was measuring 3-4 weeks ahead. I have a growth scan next week to see what is going on I have been consistently measuring larger my last few appointments. I am wondering if it is just because this is my third and so I am more stretched? I measured a week or so smaller with my first two on average.

Have you been right in line with your measurements, bigger, smaller?

Advertisement

Old 08-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
MamanMoore
Registered Users

My Mood:
I always measure ahead. I think I was 3 ahead at my last appointment. With DS2 I went in for an ultrasound at about 35 weeks because I was measuring 5 ahead. Turns out I had a lot of amniotic fluid. I had no complications and he came out naturally and just fine. Both my boys were big though (11 lbs 1 oz and 11 lbs 7 oz respectively), so that might also factor in.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: measuring ahead?

DDC, some doctors don't care a hoot about measuring ahead and some do. I always measure ahead, but my doctor doesn't say anything about it. The u/s tech always comments on it, but nothing is done differently. My last son was 9.10 and this guy is measuring to be a little bigger than that. It could also mean you have a lot of amniotic fluid. Also, means nothing.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Measured about right with 1 and 2 I think, measuring small with #3 and trying not to worry about it.
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
betsybikes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I measured right with dS. And I went into labor with him on my due date. Consistently measured two weeks ahead with my DD. she was born a week early. Have been measuring a little behind with this guy, but not consistently.

My mixed lot listed here:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...1#post17149541
betsybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
cjslater1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had my appointment yesterday and baby was right on schedule, I am still measuring bigger but I it is nothing to be concerned about.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
bazil323
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started out measuring almost 2 weeks behind and then gradually started measuring closer and closer to "spot on."

However, I don't give a whole lot of credit to ultrasound measurements. There was a study that showed that estimated due dates could vary widely from actual measurements, and it was broken down by accuracy for each trimester. In the first trimester, the due date could be off by 1-2 weeks, in the second by 2-3 weeks, but by the third trimester it was often wrong by over 3-4 weeks! That's huge, a month difference!?!

Ultrasound measurements can vary a LOT by who is doing the measuring, how much amniotic fluid you have at the time, how the baby is positioned at that moment, etc. Physically palpating the baby through your abdomen garners a better estimate of size, especially if your provider is very experienced, but it still is not a guarantee. As long as the baby is moving well and shows growth progressively and you are doing as much as you can to be healthy, then I would not stress about where the baby falls on the range. Genetics play a huge factor too.
bazil323 is offline   Reply With Quote