Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Dairy free lasagna?

I'm lactose intolerant. My husband brought home left over lasagna from work tonight for the kids for dinner. It really made me want some. He had a regular meat one and a veggie one. The veggie one was YUMMY! But, I could only have a bit.

Anyone have a veggie lasagna recipe with no dairy they could share?

I'm skeptical, but definitely willing to try it. Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 09-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
breefawn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Try your favorite recipe and use Daiya! It's still yummy and totally dairy free
Old 09-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs
I'm lactose intolerant. My husband brought home left over lasagna from work tonight for the kids for dinner. It really made me want some. He had a regular meat one and a veggie one. The veggie one was YUMMY! But, I could only have a bit.

Anyone have a veggie lasagna recipe with no dairy they could share?

I'm skeptical, but definitely willing to try it. Thanks!
There are many recipes for cashew ricotta if you google. Here's the first one that popped up for me, but I have not tried it. http://thesimpleveganista.blogspot.i...ta-cheese.html

I have made cashew sour cream, that was really yummy. I've also made Mac n "cheese" with nutritional yeast. I personally did not care for it. But DH and the kids liked it. I don't like daiya either though, and they like that too. So if you like daiya, then nutritional east might be good for subbing as cheesy sauces for you (i know you didn't ask lol).
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dairy free lasagna?

For dd we just do regular without cheese- she doesn't like the fake cheeses. But like pp suggested you can use a sub cheese. I prefer my lasagna without ricotta cheese so any shredded sub cheese works for me.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
Nandis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Dairy free lasagna?

These are recipes from my favorite vegan chef and friend, Bryanna Clark Grogan. All I do to make lasagna is to substitute out almond ricotta (but I always leave out the maple syrup), sprinkle some of the layers with almond parmesan and use the bechamel on top instead of more cheese, but I agree with PP, Dayia is also good. You can make ricotta di soya or just flavor mashed tofu instead of making the almond ricotta, if, unlike me, you're not also allergic to soy. Also, for other casserole type dishes, the bechamel is a good base to create a substitute for cream-of- whatever soup... HTH!

Bryanna's ALMOND "RICOTTA"

Makes about 2½ cups
Soy-Free.

This is a tasty vegan "ricotta"– the almond milk has a clean, mild taste.

1 cup hot water

½ cup whole blanched almonds

1 cup cold water

4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

4 tablespoons cornstarch (if you're allergic to corn, you can use wheat starch, or use 6 tablespoons white rice flour)

1 tablespoons oil

1 teaspoon maple syrup

½ teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS:

Place the hot water and almonds in the blender and blend until a very smooth "cream" results– be patient! It cannot be grainy. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend again well.

Pour the mixture into a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan and stir constantly over medium-high heat until it thickens and comes to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium and cokk 1 minute more, stirring.

MICROWAVE OPTION: Pour the mixture into a large microwave-safe bowl or beaker. Microwave 2 minutes on HIGH. Whisk. Microwave 1 to 2 minutes more, or until thickened.

Scrape the mixture into a container and let it come to room temperature. Beat it with a whisk or electric mixer. Cover and chill. When it is chilled and firm, mash and stir it with a fork, until it has some texture. Refrigerate.

Bryanna's DAIRY-FREE BECHAMEL OR WHITE SAUCE

makes 2 cups

This sauce can be made soy-free– see the end of the recipe.

This rich-tasting sauce is actually quite low in fat. It can be used as an all-purpose white sauce in all of your cooking, and as a topping for Greek dishes, such as vegetarian moussaka, and even as a substitute for melted cheese in many casseroles. In Italy, this type of sauce is used on lasagna rather than the heavy melted cheeses in American-style lasagne.

I think this formula is a great improvement upon vegan white sauces made completely with soymilk, which I find too sweet. The tofu (or cashews) and broth cube add richness without much fat.

INGREDIENTS:

2 tablespoons dairy-free margarine or extra-virgin olive oil

1½ to 3 tablespoons unbleached flour (depending on thickness desired)

BLENDED MIXTURE:

1 cup soy, almond, or rice milk

½ cup extra-firm SILKEN tofu or regular medium-firm tofu, crumbled

½ cup water

1 "chicken-style" vegetarian broth cube (or enough for 1 cup of liquid), crumbled

½ teaspoon salt

a large pinch EACH of freshly-grated nutmeg and white pepper

DIRECTIONS:

Place all of the Blended Mixture ingredients, EXCEPT the nutmeg and pepper, in the blender and blend until VERY smooth. Set aside.

Melt the margarine in a medium, heavy saucepan and whisk in the flour. Whisk it over medium-high heat for a few minutes, but remove from heat before it starts to change color (you want a white "roux"). Scrape this into the Blended Mixture and blend for a few seconds, then pour the mixture back into the pot. Stir over medium-high heat until it thickens and boils; turn down and simmer on low for a few minutes. Whisk in the nutmeg and pepper.

MICROWAVE OPTION: Melt the margarine in a large microwave-safe bowl or 1 qt. Pyrex measuring beaker on HiGH for 45 seconds. Whisk in the flour and microwave on HIGH 2 minutes. Scrape this into the Blended Mixture and blend briefly, then pour it back into the bowl or beaker, or pour in the Blended mixture and mix with a hand immersion blender until smooth. Microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes. Whisk. Microwave for 2 more minutes. Whisk. Microwave for 2 minutes more. Whisk in the nutmeg and pepper. IF DOUBLING THE RECIPE, use a larger bowl and increase the cooking time to 3 minutes each time.

To make this sauce very low-fat: leave out the margarine and simply cook the flour in a dry pan or microwave until it just starts to change color. You can use reduced fat tofu and soymilk, too, if you like.

To make this sauce soy-free: omit the tofu; use ¼ cup more rice or almond milk (1¼ in total) and use ¼ cup raw cashews instead of the tofu. Since the cashews have a thickening effect, use less flour. Use only 2 teaspoons soy-free and dairy-free margarine, or use olive oil.

To make this sauce wheat-free: add the melted margarine or olive oil directly to the blended mixture, along with 1 to 4 tablespoons white rice flour (or mochiko flour, also known as sweet/glutinous rice flour) in stead of the wheat flour (so you omit the first cooking step). 4 tablespoons makes a very thick sauce.

NOTE: Sauces made with mochiko flour (also called sweet or glutinous white rice flour—though it contains no gluten!) (see under Wheat-Free above) are excellent for freezing (for instance, if you freeze a prepared but not baked lasagne), because the sauce will not separate when thawed.

Bryanna's Almondzano (Parmesan Substitute)
1/2 c. chopped raw walnuts or almonds
2 T. nutritional yeast flakes
1 tsp. light soy or chickpea miso
1/4 tsp. salt

Process the ingredients until as fine as possible. Stir to get rid of any lumps. Place in a covered container or shaker and keep refrigerated.

RICOTTA DI SOYA (TOFU RICOTTA) makes 3½ cups

This mixture is very similar to the creamy full-fat ricotta used in Italy, which bears little resemblance to the watery, grainy ricotta available to most North Americans. It's so creamy that you can use it as a spread on bread, or a filling for crespelle (crepes), or even in desserts.

INGREDIENTS:

2 (12.3 oz.) boxes extra-firm SILKEN tofu, crumbled

½ cup + 2 tablespoons raw cashew pieces, ground very fine in a coffee/spice mill or mini-chopper

2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

½ teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS:

In a food processor, mix about 3 cups of the crumbled tofu, the ground cashews, the lemon juice and salt until they are VERY smooth. Then crumble in the remaining tofu and process again. The resulting mixture should be mostly smooth, but with a little graininess– it doesn't have to be like cream cheese.

Scoop the "ricotta" into a plastic container and refrigerate. It firms up when chilled.
Nandis is offline   Reply With Quote