Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #21
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me with my fried rice!

Hmm... my husband would probably love to try your orange chicken recipe. He tried making orange chicken and he said it turned out awful (I can't remember if I tried it or not...I think I did actually but wasn't picky about it.) His fried rice on the other hand is pretty good, but I think it took him a few tries to get it better, too... He never uses a rice cooker (though that's partly because we don't have one) but it's always 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of water and always with cooled dried rice. He usually puts the rice spread out on a pan in the fridge for awhile.

Advertisement

mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:27 AM   #22
mary78
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeChickVee View Post
I'm a pretty good cook. rarely do I make something and end up thinking "wow that tasted like crap!"

The other day I made orange chicken. it was so good! I also made fried rice to accompany it... that tasted like garbage.

I used Jasmine rice, cooked it in the rice cooker on the white rice setting. I think I did 5 cups of rice and 6 cups of water and i added a little bit of salt. Then I spread it on a cookie sheet and put it in the refrigerator for several hours. I heated up my wok, and I cooked up the eggs, onions, bell peppers, peas, carrots, etc. Then I cooked the put the rice in and stir fried it, adding soy sauce as I went. when I was down I was like ummm this does not look right..

It was GROSS. It was sticky and mushy. just gross. thankfully, there was a ton of the delicious orange chicken lol.

I can NEVER make good fried rice. Lo mein? I can do that. Stir fried veggies? I got it.

But not rice! Where am I going wrong?
you have to double the amount of water, 5 cups of rice=5 cups of water
mary78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #23
Newton
Registered Users

I use leftover rice (but I have occassionally used fresh). I do the following
1) scarmble eggs with bit of oil
2) add rice
3) add veg if cooked, otherwise I cook just after the egg
4) add soy sauce or tamari
5) add bit of seasame oil (no substitute)
Old 10-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #24
alphacyg
Registered Users

Double check your ratio of water and rice (according to rice cooker directions). Then let the rice cool in the fridge, overnight if you can.
alphacyg is offline   Reply With Quote