Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-29-2013, 12:19 AM   #61
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMommy6111 View Post

I try not to let politics get me down. The government's not going anywhere anytime soon, no matter who tries to make it seems that way. The news is full of so much bad/wrong information.

Maybe you can start committing to less stuff financially. Having to pay for the reunion deposit and planning birthday parties is so stressful, maybe someone else can pick up the slack. You did just have a baby. I'm sorry that your DH can't be more understanding. Has he read the Total Money Makeover? Would an FPU course be worth it to your family's budget?
Dadgum I thought I respnded to this. Anyway, that was the last of the hosting til dd1's bday in April. I may got to my moms over Christmas but thats it. And dh hasnt read it yet. He works 12s 5-6 days a week. And not a book person. I bought it on cd and his work truck has no cd player....radio only. :-/ But Im sticking my copy of tmmo with him. He always pulls the Im too busy with work excuse. Ive just been doing it how I want but in the last month his spending is out of control. Im not innocent either (but nowhere near as bad)....I get resentful because even after I tell him to reign it in he doesnt and by golly why should I be the only one to tighten up, you know. I think he thinks Oh Im fixing to get that deployment money so I'll just make up for it later. >:-(

Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 06:22 AM   #62
HMinshall
Registered Users
seller

Re: Dave Ramsey Support Thread ~ Sep 23 - Sep 29

I have a question for all of you knowledgeable Dave Ramsey followers...I read this post religiously every week, but never post

My dh just started full-time college, after he decided he really wants to have a degree before he retires from the Army (in two years). The only school that offers his major, is expensive. He has gotten some financial aid (tuition assistance through the army) and is still looking for other scholarships/grants. But, as it stands right now, we will need to pay about 200/month for him to go to school. We just don't have it....we can budget about 100/month right now. My question is: we put 15% each month in retirement ($700)....I was thinking about reducing that to $600 for the next two years while he is in school to cover the rest of college. Or should I just keep trying to find new ways to penny-pinch to try to come up with the other $100 (which I'm not sure we can do, we are frugal people with no debt).....I don't think taking out a student loan is our best idea, but maybe we should do that? Thanks!

Last edited by HMinshall; 09-29-2013 at 06:31 AM.
HMinshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #63
bluecandi
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMinshall View Post
I have a question for all of you knowledgeable Dave Ramsey followers...I read this post religiously every week, but never post

My dh just started full-time college, after he decided he really wants to have a degree before he retires from the Army (in two years). The only school that offers his major, is expensive. He has gotten some financial aid (tuition assistance through the army) and is still looking for other scholarships/grants. But, as it stands right now, we will need to pay about 200/month for him to go to school. We just don't have it....we can budget about 100/month right now. My question is: we put 15% each month in retirement ($700)....I was thinking about reducing that to $600 for the next two years while he is in school to cover the rest of college. Or should I just keep trying to find new ways to penny-pinch to try to come up with the other $100 (which I'm not sure we can do, we are frugal people with no debt).....I don't think taking out a student loan is our best idea, but maybe we should do that? Thanks!
I think you should definitely reduce retirement contributions right now. Theoretically he will be getting a better paying job at the end and yall can make up for it. In the long run, 2 years is not that long to decrease contributions, especially if theres a payoff at the end. Start thinking long term.
Does he have Chapter 30 or 33 GI Bill?
Good luck!
Old 09-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #64
HMinshall
Registered Users
seller

Re: Dave Ramsey Support Thread ~ Sep 23 - Sep 29

He transferred his GI bill to our children already, so he can't use it (or, well, is choosing to leave it in their names.)
HMinshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #65
hsleonard
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMinshall

How old are you guys? If it were me I would lower my retirement for the short time, over taking out a loan
Thirty-one gifts
Come swag with me!!! I have earned over $100 in amazon gift cards so far
Zycon Foods -"saving money on high-quality food products."
hsleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #66
hsleonard
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMinshall
He transferred his GI bill to our children already, so he can't use it (or, well, is choosing to leave it in their names.)
I agree lessen the retirement for the short term
Thirty-one gifts
Come swag with me!!! I have earned over $100 in amazon gift cards so far
Zycon Foods -"saving money on high-quality food products."
hsleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #67
bluecandi
seller

My Mood:
Also the amount you would save for retirement wont be near as much as the amount you would finance.