Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #21
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: DS just diagnosed with ADHD and ODD

A 504 is for a problem that does not require specialized instruction. Typically it is used for medical problems. Kids on 504s can also be expelled, whereas IEP kids cannot.

Here is a comparison of the differences.

http://www.spedwatch.org/files/IEP_v_504.pdf

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 09-29-2013 at 08:32 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #22
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:

He will probably slowly catch up now that he is on meds and can concentrate. I would avoid doing too much school work at home if it frustrates him. Kids don't learn if they are frustrated. That is the rule at our house with homework, as soon as the frustration sets in we take a break or quit for the night. There is no point doing otherwise.

Can I ask where he is behind? There may be alternative ways to help him that don't involve sit down/work sheet type tasks. My kids are really visual, hands on learners (most kids with ADHD are) and I have come up with some creative ways to help them that are more in line with with the way they learn best.
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #23
eracheld
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver)O(Moon
He will probably slowly catch up now that he is on meds and can concentrate. I would avoid doing too much school work at home if it frustrates him. Kids don't learn if they are frustrated. That is the rule at our house with homework, as soon as the frustration sets in we take a break or quit for the night. There is no point doing otherwise. Can I ask where he is behind? There may be alternative ways to help him that don't involve sit down/work sheet type tasks. My kids are really visual, hands on learners (most kids with ADHD are) and I have come up with some creative ways to help them that are more in line with with the way they learn best.
Honestly he's behind in everything. He is furthest behind in reading and writing. I strongly suspect there is some other type of learning disability going on, possibly dyslexia. And the ADHD. We are going to be trying some new things at home to build his confidence. He has such low self esteem and doesn't like to try things because he has not been successful in the past . My heart just breaks for him.

Scentsy team!
eracheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #24
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

There is a lot of great information to read here My son is also ADHD, he was diagnosed about a year ago. We tried a few things...initially enrolling him in Taekwondo (in first grade, before he was diagnosed), but when he was diagnosed a year later we tried Adderall XR, Concerta (THAT was awful, he was very angry). He's been on Strattera and it helped him a lot. He's inattentive/impulsive, but mostly impulsive.

He still goes to taekwondo, Monday - Thursday, and even though it takes up his time I think it has helped him a lot. We tried team sports (soccer) but it didn't go well for him. The taekwondo is a good fit and I'm grateful that we can send him.

What we've been doing is the positive rewards/encouragement, but the BIGGEST improvement, overall, was when we switched to the Accountable Kids system. It totally clicks for him now. I applied the concepts from the AK book I bought and designed my own tracking system:

We started AK over the summer and I was flabbergasted how much it helped him. He LOVES to earn tickets.

Another issue is that he won't drink his water at school, and not drinking water affects his self-control. I labeled all his water bottles with points. Drinking half = 2 points, drinking all of it = 5 points. He tabulates his points on a sheet of paper and if he earns 8 points in a week he gets a juice box in his lunch, if he earns 20 points he earns a ticket.

As far as school, his teacher in 2nd grade -- who is the one who has had the most trouble with him -- was not a good fit for his personality. He has never had issues academically, but she was often citing him for behavior and meeting with me every six weeks. This year he has a great teacher who just loves his enthusiasm and his energy, and she is wonderful. Now that I know just how much trouble a personality clash can cause, I will be more alert to this from now on. I'm not one to rock the boat, and I think we all need to learn to be tolerant even if getting along is a challenge, but a year of having to meet every six weeks taught me that sometimes you just can't ignore the signs.

Through this, the other thing I've learned that has been beneficial is that I deal with ADHD myself. I always thought that I was just a flighty, distract-able, person who loves to start new things or try new ideas Like my son, I always did well academically, but never tried very hard. Sometimes I wonder what I could have accomplished had I actually worked hard! I was a big procrastinator, as is he

But, with being home to raise kids instead of in a structured work environment, and learning everything I learned after going through it w/my 8 yo, my OWN behavior has made dealing with him even more challenging...I guess it was hard enough for me to handle ME and I never realized it until I had to handle him as well. So I've been taking steps to deal with my own things as well, which has also been very beneficial to our family overall.

and good luck!

Last edited by boysniris; 09-30-2013 at 10:31 AM.
boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #25
aphlbrck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS1 was dx'd w/ADHD the summer after Kindergarten. We have a strong family history and my DH (at 39) still takes meds. DS1 was very behind on his handwriting, reading etc until he started taking Concerta. He was pulled out for extra reading help each day and this caught him up by the end of 2nd grade. He doesn't have an IEP, etc. but we do talk to his teachers periodically and make sure things are going well.

The come down from the Concerta each day was brutal and he wasn't sleeping (until we started giving him melatonin at bedtime) which made everything bad. For some reason our ped loves Concerta and after talking about the side effects etc w/her she recommended that he continue it. Our insurance changed and since it was super expensive I basically demanded something else and she gave him Ritalin XR w/a 5mg dose when he gets home to help him w/homework. He's a different child since taking the Ritalin. Much nicer, less emotional, no nasty crash and no problems sleeping.

He's in 4th grade now and is a B student. He has problems w/timed math tests but performs well enough where his teachers haven't felt any additional accomodations are necessary.

Good luck to you!
Old 10-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #26
eracheld
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Got a note home that DS did great work at school today!!

Scentsy team!
Old 10-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #27
HeatherM0529
Registered Users
seller
seller

My daughter just got this same diagnosis (combination and ODD), but I'm 90% sure it's wrong.
She was on adderall and then focalin, both are stimulants and both made her SO MUCH WORSE. She's now on Intuniv 1mg (wanting to up it to 2mg need to call doc tomorrow) which is a non stimulant and she seems a bit calmer, but that would calm anybody down to be honest.

I think she has more of a mental disorder like Bipolar.

I do think she's ODD though.

I can't really give you any advice as we're still working through it. She is also 6 and in 1st grade.
HeatherM0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #28
eracheld
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherM0529
My daughter just got this same diagnosis (combination and ODD), but I'm 90% sure it's wrong. She was on adderall and then focalin, both are stimulants and both made her SO MUCH WORSE. She's now on Intuniv 1mg (wanting to up it to 2mg need to call doc tomorrow) which is a non stimulant and she seems a bit calmer, but that would calm anybody down to be honest. I think she has more of a mental disorder like Bipolar. I do think she's ODD though. I can't really give you any advice as we're still working through it. She is also 6 and in 1st grade.
Is she having issues in school? Honestly that is my biggest stressor right now. His behavior really isn't that bad, and he only has behavior issues at home anyway. I'm just freaking out about him being behind at school.

Scentsy team!
Old 10-08-2013, 11:49 PM   #29
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eracheld View Post
Honestly he's behind in everything. He is furthest behind in reading and writing. I strongly suspect there is some other type of learning disability going on, possibly dyslexia. And the ADHD. We are going to be trying some new things at home to build his confidence. He has such low self esteem and doesn't like to try things because he has not been successful in the past . My heart just breaks for him.
Get him tested for the dyslexia ASAP. My DH has ADHD and dyslexia and school was a nightmare for him. He grew up thinking he was stupid. As an adult, he tests in the top 3% for intelligence. He's one of the smartest people I know! School was really hard on his self esteem and I wish I could go back in time and smack a few people who just had no clue. Anyway, dyslexia can be treated, but the younger a person starts, the faster they can improve.

I think you have the right idea to focus on things he is good at and create small successes for him. Hands on activities like museums, the zoo, sports or art classes would probably be enjoyable for him. Nature walks and hikes are really soothing for people with ADHD and there are studies that the more "green" time a child has outdoors (running on grass, climbing trees, exploring the woods etc), the less ADHD symptoms they tend to have indoors. People with ADHD tend to be very visual. Have you tried educational DVD's or computer games? I have heard great things about the Leap Frog DVDs for kids who need help with letter sounds. Super Why as well. Magic School Bus is amazing for science and building vocabulary! There are some great PC games like Reader Rabbit that are interactive and build literacy skills. Building with blocks and legos helps with spacial awareness and math concepts, as do puzzles. Let him write letters in a sand tray (or a cookie sheet with a layer of salt on it) or roll them out with playdough. Honestly just playing with the playdough will strengthen his fine motor skills and help him with writing. Paint letters on the side walk with a clean paint brush and a bucket of water. Get him a chalkboard and colored chalk and hang it in his room to encourage him to write and draw. A white board can be used too (though if he has fine motor issues chalk will help him get stronger). Read to him every day and then get books on tape to listen to in the car or that he can read along with. If there is something he is really interested in, like cars or dinosaurs or space, check out books from the library on those topics. Interesting topics are more motivating to them to try to read about. Ask your librarian to help you and keep it really simple so that he can have as much success as possible.
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:29 AM   #30
eracheld
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver)O(Moon
Get him tested for the dyslexia ASAP. My DH has ADHD and dyslexia and school was a nightmare for him. He grew up thinking he was stupid. As an adult, he tests in the top 3% for intelligence. He's one of the smartest people I know! School was really hard on his self esteem and I wish I could go back in time and smack a few people who just had no clue. Anyway, dyslexia can be treated, but the younger a person starts, the faster they can improve. I think you have the right idea to focus on things he is good at and create small successes for him. Hands on activities like museums, the zoo, sports or art classes would probably be enjoyable for him. Nature walks and hikes are really soothing for people with ADHD and there are studies that the more "green" time a child has outdoors (running on grass, climbing trees, exploring the woods etc), the less ADHD symptoms they tend to have indoors. People with ADHD tend to be very visual. Have you tried educational DVD's or computer games? I have heard great things about the Leap Frog DVDs for kids who need help with letter sounds. Super Why as well. Magic School Bus is amazing for science and building vocabulary! There are some great PC games like Reader Rabbit that are interactive and build literacy skills. Building with blocks and legos helps with spacial awareness and math concepts, as do puzzles. Let him write letters in a sand tray (or a cookie sheet with a layer of salt on it) or roll them out with playdough. Honestly just playing with the playdough will strengthen his fine motor skills and help him with writing. Paint letters on the side walk with a clean paint brush and a bucket of water. Get him a chalkboard and colored chalk and hang it in his room to encourage him to write and draw. A white board can be used too (though if he has fine motor issues chalk will help him get stronger). Read to him every day and then get books on tape to listen to in the car or that he can read along with. If there is something he is really interested in, like cars or dinosaurs or space, check out books from the library on those topics. Interesting topics are more motivating to them to try to read about. Ask your librarian to help you and keep it really simple so that he can have as much success as possible.
Thank you! I will definitely try some of these things. I have been trying to come up with fun ways to get done what we need, so that it doesn't seem like we're always just working or studying. Any advice on how to get him tested for dyslexia? Everyone keeps telling me to wait

Scentsy team!