Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2013, 01:24 AM   #31
GrazieGirl
Registered Users
seller

Re: Is it ever ok to prostelyize to other peoples children.

No.

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 04:48 AM   #32
FrenchTeacher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
No. Never. Not under any circumstances.
Cafeteria style Catholic here.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:56 AM   #33
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Athiest...

and nope, never okay. I would have serious issues if anyone did that, and I wouldn't do it to someone else...

That said, I think there is a difference between answering questions if my child asks why you do certain things, and proselytizing.

I also think there is a difference between telling a 6 year that your religion is the right way, and having a normal discussion or debate with a 16 year old. I wouldn't care about that really.

And I don't consider praying at a meal or asking me if my child can attend mass with your family proselytizing. I would expect my child to be respectful.

Last edited by JustSomeChickVee; 10-03-2013 at 05:03 AM.
JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:03 AM   #34
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
No. Absolutely not. I'm pagan and I would not start discussing my religion with a young child and would expect others to have the same courtesy. My favorite analogy is that religion is like a penis. It's fine to have one. It's fine to be proud of it. It ceases being fine when you pull it out and stroke it in public or attempt to shove it down someone else's throat, particularly that of a child.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:06 AM   #35
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids

See, I don't consider this proselytizing. We don't discuss religion with children as a general rule. But, if your child spends Saturday night with us, I am going to let you know that we attend Mass at XX:XX on Sunday and that we can drop your child off before that or that they are welcome to attend with us. We don't stop saying grace because we don't know the belief system of children eating meals with us. But, in general, Catholics aren't running around with bibles and proselytizing.
I'm an atheist and I would have no problem with a family saying grace or going to church with or without my child (if they wanted to go. I always went to Easter Sunday mass with my neighbor growing up. I thought it was beautiful).

There is a big difference between saying grace and trying to convert a child. Exposure to religion can be educational for children, just as exposure to atheists can be educational.
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:13 AM   #36
aunt_freya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacita1222 View Post
Exactly. I would be so freaked out if DS came home one day raving about the Prophet Muhammad or any religious figurehead. I also want to know ahead of time what might be discussed about Christ (we are "believers") just so I'm prepared.
Raving about any religious figures would be a concern, but I have no problem with my daughter asking questions based on what she hears at school, from friends, her grandma, whatever.

She wanted to attend VBS in a bad way because her best friend in the preschool room attended for a couple hours every day. We explained over and over why WE didn't want her to attend, and it was fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyCrazy View Post
No, parents should be present and involved in any religious discussion with their children. We are LDS and I would be very unhappy if someone of another faith (or a nonbeliever) was trying to convert my child behind my back.
I guess it depends on the context. Kids ask questions. If a child in my home asked a question, I'd answer it honestly--this is what we believe (or don't). That's not really the same as trying to convert a child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
I'm a believer. Never. Not unless I met their family in church, and know without a doubt that we have the same beliefs, and even then it'd be very casual.

I used to have a Christian Daycare in my home. I taught (loosely) Christian Beliefs. But, then, slowly I got more and more kids of other religions, and would never dream of singing "This little Light of Mine" with this current group.

Their parents tell me ABOUT their beliefs and religions and celebrations, and I love that they do. But, they don't tell me in such a way that what they believe is right for everyone. I believe in my faith, but it's MINE, not theirs.

Although, my family in Tennessee live in an area where there is Baptist, or Pentecostal, and to them THAT is diversity. So, "Are you Baptist or Pentecostal?" is a normal and acceptable question. Telling everyone's kids about Jesus is normal there.
The first two verses of "This Little Light of Mine" are fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotLad View Post
In my home, I'll answer questions honestly. Is that the same as proselytizing?

We pray before meals and would expect guests to be mindful of that.

Beyond that? I'm not going to send a Book of Mormon home without permission. If I'm having the missionaries in my home and your kid comes over, I'll let you know. If my boys want to your kids to come to church with us, I'll clear it with you.

If our kids are friends, you're going to know I'm LDS. But you're also going to know that I'm not out to get you
Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
While I don't think adults should try to convert young children I wonder why people see teaching evolution in school as okay. I consider that to be the same thing.

By that logic, we should refrain from teaching science at all. What about gravity? What about the revolution of the planets (seems to have gotten Galileo in trouble, right?)? What about biology--what happens when children learn that there is a biological, hormonal explanation for the entire process and the teacher never even mentions God? Why stop at science? How about advanced mathematics? I've often heard Christians use the complexity and perfection of the mathematics of the universe as further proof of God. I've never heard a math teacher cite God in class.By extension, I would think social studies and literature are out of the question. Kids might learn that this nation was not founded as a Christian nation and the founding fathers safe-guarded the rights of all people to worship as they wish. They might learn that people from other religions and walks of life have the same morals, values, and hopes and dreams as they do, despite praying to a different god.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:14 AM   #37
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

No. I said OMG the other day outloud and my oldest says "mommy don't say that". So I asked her "don't say what?". She says "don't say God like that". We are Atheist so sometimes that is said and we don't put much weight into it. I do however have a friend who claims to me very religious (her actions say otherwise). DDs both spend usually at least 1 day a week with her just hanging out with her and her kiddos so I can only imagine that DD1s aversion to the phrase omg is from my friend.
Hum Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:15 AM   #38
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_freya View Post
By that logic, we should refrain from teaching science at all. What about gravity? What about the revolution of the planets (seems to have gotten Galileo in trouble, right?)? What about biology--what happens when children learn that there is a biological, hormonal explanation for the entire process and the teacher never even mentions God? Why stop at science? How about advanced mathematics? I've often heard Christians use the complexity and perfection of the mathematics of the universe as further proof of God. I've never heard a math teacher cite God in class.By extension, I would think social studies and literature are out of the question. Kids might learn that this nation was not founded as a Christian nation and the founding fathers safe-guarded the rights of all people to worship as they wish. They might learn that people from other religions and walks of life have the same morals, values, and hopes and dreams as they do, despite praying to a different god.
-slow clap-

Last edited by Hum Bums; 10-03-2013 at 05:16 AM. Reason: take out an emote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:17 AM   #39
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliz7 View Post
I'm an atheist and I would have no problem with a family saying grace or going to church with or without my child (if they wanted to go. I always went to Easter Sunday mass with my neighbor growing up. I thought it was beautiful).

There is a big difference between saying grace and trying to convert a child. Exposure to religion can be educational for children, just as exposure to atheists can be educational.
I also have no problem with my children being respectful during grace. The rest of my extended family are christians and I am always respectful of their beliefs around them.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:34 AM   #40
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
I guess it really depends on what you mean by proselytizing. We live our faith every day and if your children encounter us, then they are going to see the way we live and how our faith impacts that.
This.

But I would never sit a kid down and actively try to change their beliefs. That isn't my place. I expect the same from others.

This very topic has been on my mind recently. I would say it also depends on age. My son (14 ) is working on a farm with teenagers who are trying to "save" him. I'm not worried about it. They have a formidable opponent in my son who is well versed in our Catholic faith. They seem to be enjoying the back and forth debate. But had they tried to pull this with one of my younger kids it would not fly.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote