Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #121
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickshep19

They are pamphlets that share certain views. The ones that scarred/scared me were of drug users/bad people going to hell & being taunted by the devil. They were very graphic and as a 5/6 yo they were very haunting. I hope they all aren't like that but I never want my kids to see that nor do I ever want to see them again.
I have to say that as a Southern Baptist, now Independent Baptist, I have never seen any tracts like you mention. That is very inappropriate. The ones we use are the Salvation story and Christ and how to receive Salvation.

ETA: do you know what church was passing out those kinda of tracts?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Last edited by 7 for now; 10-04-2013 at 07:20 PM.
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #122
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
Quote:

They are pamphlets that share certain views. The ones that scarred/scared me were of drug users/bad people going to hell & being taunted by the devil. They were very graphic and as a 5/6 yo they were very haunting. I hope they all aren't like that but I never want my kids to see that nor do I ever want to see them again.
Yup the tracts handed out by my nieces and nephews was titled, "how do you know you're going to heaven?" And inside was a description of what is required to enter heaven, followed by what awaits everyone else (graphic description of hell). Not all are this bad, some are just lots of bible verses about accepting Jesus and learning god's plan.

ETA: My sister was basically southern baptist, but at that time she might have been with church of the Nazarene. Not certain.

Last edited by Palooka; 10-04-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #123
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Re: Is it ever ok to prostelyize to other peoples children.

One of our friends invited us over for dinner and they are believers and we are not. We all sat down at the table to eat and the mother said, "We are going to pray now like we do before every meal but feel free to begin serving yourself if you don't want to participate." I thought that was nice giving us the opportunity to participate or not. I did have my kids bow their heads and stay quiet and still as a show of respect for their prayer but I appreciated her thinking about our feelings too. I'd be pretty upset if someone was teaching my kids about their religion without my consent. I try to expose my kids to all religions and so I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as I was warned first. My oldest attended VBS with a friend one summer. They go to a Baptist church with their dad on holidays. They have attended Temple once. As they get a little older I'd love to expose them to more but for now they have a basic understanding of a lot of the bigger organi*ed religions and their beliefs and I'll modify as they grow. But for someone else to do the teaching without my consent would feel really violating. I would LOVE for you to give my child an overview of your religion and answer any questions they have but I'd want to be there to help guide the discussion as my children's parent.
3rockstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #124
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now View Post

I have to say that as a Southern Baptist, now Independent Baptist, I have never seen any tracts like you mention. That is very inappropriate. The ones we use are the Salvation story and Christ and how to receive Salvation.

ETA: do you know what church was passing out those kinda of tracts?

It was a Southern Baptist type church in Ohio. I am in my mid 30's & I was a 5/6 yo when I saw them.

ETA: they were like these (I read a whole bunch)

https://www.chick.com/m/reading/trac...t.asp?stk=0052

Last edited by P!nkPepper; 10-04-2013 at 07:54 PM.
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #125
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
Yup the tracts handed out by my nieces and nephews was title, "how do you now you're going to heaven?" And inside was a description of what is required to enter heaven, followed by what awaits everyone else (graphic description of hell). Not all are this bad, some are just lots of bible verses about accepting Jesus and learning god's plan.

ETA: My sister was basically southern baptist, but at that time she might have been with church of the Nazarene. Not certain.
Yes, I think I've seen that one actually. It was phrased exactly like that on the front. I can't remember what church it was but it was put on my car while I was at work at the mall. It wasn't something I showed my children of course. I'm glad they didn't see it. It was a few weeks ago but I remember laughing a little about the "How do you know you're going to Heaven" statement with a friend and then chucking it in the garbage.
3rockstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:31 AM   #126
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Chick tracts are famous, I know people who collect them for their novelty. I don't think they are tied to one church, as I have seen them used by all sorts of people. You get them for free or cheap I think from some group. The "heaven" one has been around forever, I even got that one myself as a kid in the early 80's. My Mom hated when someone tried to give them to us, they scared my sister.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #127
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:

It was a Southern Baptist type church in Ohio. I am in my mid 30's & I was a 5/6 yo when I saw them.

ETA: they were like these (I read a whole bunch)

https://www.chick.com/m/reading/trac...t.asp?stk=0052
Well, Southern Baptist "type" could be a lot of different things. We have been in four different states, NC, FL, AL, and ID over the last 19 years. All but one was heavily involved in outreach missions and I have NEVER seen any tracts like that. We have been in Southern Baptist and Independent Baptist. Dh was/is also a deacon so he sees a lot. Honestly that is scare tactics and turns even me off!

While I don't doubt they are out there, I don't believe those are the norm at all and certainly not from a mainstream type church.

7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #128
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:

Well, Southern Baptist "type" could be a lot of different things. We have been in four different states, NC, FL, AL, and ID over the last 19 years. All but one was heavily involved in outreach missions and I have NEVER seen any tracts like that. We have been in Southern Baptist and Independent Baptist. Dh was/is also a deacon so he sees a lot. Honestly that is scare tactics and turns even me off!

While I don't doubt they are out there, I don't believe those are the norm at all and certainly not from a mainstream type church.

That makes me feel better. They were so scary yet I felt I "needed" to read them since they were given to me by someone at my step-mom's family's church. It was the early 80's maybe that was more ok then?
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #129
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickshep19 View Post
I think these kinds are growing less popular, but the Halloween selection in particular tended to focus on "the dark side" and Christ as the antidote to that. This was at a run of the mill Christian bookstore in a mid-atlantic state, the only Christian bookstore w/in an hour of where we lived. I don't think that bookstore carried any Chick tracts, but I do recall seeing a stash of them in our families tract stash. The Chick tracts seem to be extra off-topic as tracts go. He is obsessed with Catholicism and strange and grotesque story lines. Most of the ones we had were more focused on the gospel but often in graphic and scary terms as well.

Whether or not this focus on the dark side involved a hint at hell (with the inclusion of demons and a devil) or a lengthier discussion of it, the Halloween tracts in particular tended to be more fear-mongering tracts. Now granted, that is sort of topical for Halloween, but it did not seem like an appropriate thing to hand out to children. And most, if not all, participants in Halloween are engaging the dark side as a sort of make believe rather than the way the tracts put it. Apart from the concern about what parents and children are ready or wanting to handle, if some Christians are that much non-fans of Halloween, shouldn't we just focus on things having to do with the light rather than the darkness?

In perspective, these tracts were popular in the 80s and 90s on the heel of the "interesting" evangelism approach of the 70s in which churches that believed in the rapture tended to produce a lot of B-grade scary films about the rapture. In some ways this made the 70s the most extreme, and the 80s and 90s saw people gradually questioning and abandoning that shock approach.

On the other hand, I would say that I am even more opposed to the diet of horror flicks that kids get, gradually increasing in intensity. I think those are more damaging/shaping/traumatic than any of these tracts are apt to be, yet they are simply accepted as part of what we *should* grapple with in our culture.

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants

Last edited by debcita429; 10-05-2013 at 04:57 PM.
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #130
blackberry75
Registered Users

Quote:

I have to disagree. Most of the tracts I come across are exactly like thes ones in the link. Def. scare tactics, doesn't seem to matter what time of year. I've had one left on my car about how you'll go to hell for celebrating xmas.
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote