Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #151
MyLovely
Registered Users

Re: Is it ever ok to prostelyize to other peoples children.

No. But then, I'm one who thinks it is indecent to proselytize to anybody, ever, and that includes handing out religious materials. The appropriate time and place to discuss religious beliefs and distribute books is with an adult (or older teen) who specifically asks for details, and in that case, I feel that it is perfectly acceptable to discuss, explain, answer questions, etc. I never find it appropriate to approach the subject in a combative way though (i.e. typical hell and brimstone, I'm right and you're wrong type discussions).

Advertisement

Last edited by MyLovely; 10-06-2013 at 08:42 PM.
MyLovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #152
PajammaGramma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No, it's a personal decision between parents and their children.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #153
Newton
Registered Users

No, never. We do say grace at our home and do regardless of whomever is there, nopressure to paeticipate, but I would expect that they would respect it. Similarily, when I am in someone else's home I respec their beliefs.
If my DD was at someone else's ome and asked a question about religion, I would be very upaet if their answer was anything other than talk to your mom and dad about that.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #154
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

I have to thank the person who posted the link to the tract. Before DS I had never heard of a tract and until today still only had a vague idea of what one is.

I definitely agree that they shouldn't be handed out on Halloween because of the candy per minute factor. That cracked me up.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #155
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

I can't believe so many have never scene those tracts. My kids got them one year in their bags, we just threw them out when we went thru their candy. If I got them now, I think I would share them w/my 10 year old to see how silly some people can get about religion. At her age, I don't think they would scare her. I wouldn't share them w/ my smaller kdis and I do not think they are appropriate. We don't evangelize (Atheists here), and I don't think it's okay to try to talk religion w/ other people kids. That said, we are in the Bible Belt, so of course my kids have been evangelized to!
Old 10-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #156
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickshep19 View Post
It was a Southern Baptist type church in Ohio. I am in my mid 30's & I was a 5/6 yo when I saw them.

ETA: they were like these (I read a whole bunch)

https://www.chick.com/m/reading/trac...t.asp?stk=0052
Chick tracts are relatively popular here as well. Though we also get the mild ones that are just a line of scripture on a little slip of paper that sort of look like fortunes out of fortune cookies. Those ones are far less offensive at least but I still prefer that none of them are shoved on my kids.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #157
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Don't think I have ever seen one. I live in NC and grew up in NY.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #158
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

Never. Ever. Ever. Absolutely not acceptable.

But hopefully the parent on the receiving side could deal with the matter gracefully.

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #159
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
No. Absolutely not. I'm pagan and I would not start discussing my religion with a young child and would expect others to have the same courtesy. My favorite analogy is that religion is like a penis. It's fine to have one. It's fine to be proud of it. It ceases being fine when you pull it out and stroke it in public or attempt to shove it down someone else's throat, particularly that of a child.
I absolutely love this analogy! Well said.

I have my own set of beliefs, however a big part of my belief system is that no one path is the "right" way. I respect and value all religions and spiritual paths and I am fine with my children being exposed to a wide variety of religions and belief systems, however Mama Bear is going to come out if someone starts telling my child that their is only one "true religion".

I am raising my children Unitarian Universalist.. I want my children to come to their own understanding of spirituality and find the path that is right for them.

I don't push my beliefs on my own children, nor anyone elses and I would appreciate the same respect from others.. That said, I have issues with relatives trying to cram Christianity into my kids.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #160
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Bumping this because we did a ToT night in my community in NE Ohio & sure enough, my oldest came home with a Chick tract. "The Devil's Night". I yanked that sucker so fast. This was a Baptist church that put them in a baggie with 2 small pieces of candy. Not thrilled BUT I caught it fast enough .

Jodie ~ Wife & Mama
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote