Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #11
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is home schooling good

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
I don't really think anyone can advise you. You need to decide for yourself if it's right for your family.

You are asking a bunch of HS'ing parents. Of course we think HS'ing is good. I would like to think we don't do it just because we are lazy and don't want to get up early enough to get our kids on the bus. It isn't the only option and not necessarily best for YOUR family.

But, in answer to your question...yes, I think MY homeschool is good and far superior to PS in all ways that are important to me including academics.
Nope I totally do it because I don't like getting out of my jammies till mid-afternoon. Lets not even get started on trying to get my kids up and dressed before noon. I guess we are just a family of night owls (to be fair all of our activities are late evening).

OP I think everyone else has really already said what I am going to say, homeschool is wonderful if it works for your family. In our family it is the only thing that works. We are night owls and we enjoy our freedom. We have many activities that run late into the night and though dh may be able to get up and go to work in the morning (I really do feel bad for him) I can't make my kids get up after just a few hours of sleep. I would hate to tell my youngest he had to quit roller derby and we all had to quit Taekwondo because they were going to public school. My boys also have special needs and I feel that I can work with them better at home.

Advertisement

iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #12
MomAtWork
Registered Users

I have mixed feeling about Home Schooling. It is good for some people who are able to follow disciplined routine and curriculum. You need to follow a regular program but if you can't then its probably not for you.
MomAtWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #13
ILoveMy Kids
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namiko View Post
If your LO is 2 then you still have some time decide. In the meantime, you can try doing preschool homeschool style and see how that works for you.
I really agree with Namiko. You have plenty of time to decide, but in the meantime check out what online programs that you can use to help pre-school your toddler, and that will help your decision, I'm sure.
ILoveMy Kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #14
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomAtWork View Post
I have mixed feeling about Home Schooling. It is good for some people who are able to follow disciplined routine and curriculum. You need to follow a regular program but if you can't then its probably not for you.
This is not true. There are many families who do not follow a program. Instead they make their own. You don't have to follow a curriculum to do a good job homeschooling. Many of the curriculum choices are written by homeschooling moms and dads.

You also don't have to follow a disciplined routine. We have a basic routine, but we are not rigid at all. Sometimes we do school in the morning before lunch and sometime after. Sometimes we do school on Friday and sometimes not. Sometimes we do it on Saturday when my husband is working and sometimes not. Sometimes we do the history scheduled for the day and stop. Sometimes we do the history scheduled for the whole week and then stop. We do have a basic routine. We do the 3 R's before lunch (minus math) and then content subjects after lunch with any projects being then too because my youngers are napping. But, it changes all the time to fit the needs of the day or to fit my/our mood.

The above is a common misconception about HS'ing. You do have to be able to get it done. That's about it.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #15
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
Nope I totally do it because I don't like getting out of my jammies till mid-afternoon. Lets not even get started on trying to get my kids up and dressed before noon. I guess we are just a family of night owls (to be fair all of our activities are late evening).

OP I think everyone else has really already said what I am going to say, homeschool is wonderful if it works for your family. In our family it is the only thing that works. We are night owls and we enjoy our freedom. We have many activities that run late into the night and though dh may be able to get up and go to work in the morning (I really do feel bad for him) I can't make my kids get up after just a few hours of sleep. I would hate to tell my youngest he had to quit roller derby and we all had to quit Taekwondo because they were going to public school. My boys also have special needs and I feel that I can work with them better at home.
to the bolded. You know what I meant. You don't do it because you are too lazy to send your kids to school. You do it because it is the best thing for your whole family.

I'm a night owl too, but the rest of my family is not. It's a problem for me sometimes. Majority wins and I have had to learn to burn the candle at both ends or go to bed early.