Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #1
expaik
Registered Users
seller

UPDATE: now everyone can rate threads!!

Hello,

Hopefully Juan will see this question or some Admin will poke him to take a look...

Why is it that some members see the option to "Rate This Thread" while others don't? This question has been asked in the past, and it apparently has nothing to do with browser versions, being on computer vs mobile device, and I've tried toying with various Control Panel settings and nothing seems to make a difference.

I do have the option to rate threads BTW... it shows up in the thread toolbar at the top of any page of a thread I'm viewing.. but many others don't see it in their bar. They only have the other options ("Thread Tools", "Display", "Search This Thread". etc.)

Advertisement

Last edited by expaik; 10-10-2013 at 05:20 PM.
expaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thread rating option

I did some looking around, and it looks like the ability to rate threads can be set by forum (it's turned on in Off Topic) as well as by usergroup (it's turned on for Swap Participants). The only thing I can see at initial glance that thread ratings could be used for is a way to sort the forum by the rating (so all the top-rated threads would show up first), but I don't know why some usergroups/forums allow ratings and others do not. All I did was look, but they're Juan's settings. Could be that the default was one or the other, and over time when more groups/forums were added, the default wasn't changed to what he wanted it to be, so now there's some with and some without.

Hope that helps answer your question.
I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
I did some looking around, and it looks like the ability to rate threads can be set by forum (it's turned on in Off Topic) as well as by usergroup (it's turned on for Swap Participants). The only thing I can see at initial glance that thread ratings could be used for is a way to sort the forum by the rating (so all the top-rated threads would show up first), but I don't know why some usergroups/forums allow ratings and others do not. All I did was look, but they're Juan's settings. Could be that the default was one or the other, and over time when more groups/forums were added, the default wasn't changed to what he wanted it to be, so now there's some with and some without.

Hope that helps answer your question.
Thank you for looking into it, but the problem isn't that certain subforums have it on while others don't.

Case in point: in the Thrifty Families forum, for "The EBAY Thread" which I wrote and has been getting lots of posts, certain people say they CAN rate it, while others say they don't have that option in their thread toolbar.

So it's definitely not a per-forum setting. It has to do with some user-specific browser issue, or else some other user control panel setting that is preventing them from seeing the Rate option.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm telling you that there are two settings. There is one that is forum based, to allow threads in that forum to be rated. There's another that is user based, to allow a user to rate threads. I don't know if both options have to be a "yes" for someone to be able to rate threads or not, but Thrifty Families is set to allow ratings. The TTC forum is currently set to not allow ratings, so if you can do me a favor and visit that forum to see if the option to rate threads is visible for you there, and also send a user here who is not able to rate threads in the Thrifty Forum, I can dig deeper to see if the user setting overrides the forum setting or if both are necessary to be able to rate.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Yes, you are right. I cannot rate threads in TTC.

Two users who can't rate threads in Thrifty (and were trying to!) are daddyn4wisechix and cassmartinez.

Thanks for your help with this, Andrea.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Okay, yep. I didn't check cassmartinez because my personal to-do list is looming, but daddn4wisechix isn't part of a group that allows ratings. I'll send this info to Juan and see if he'd like to allow ratings for all users.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
I'll send this info to Juan and see if he'd like to allow ratings for all users.
He made this change this afternoon, so it should be working now for all registered users in forums that are set to allow ratings. Let me know if it's not.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
expaik
Registered Users
seller

You guys truly rock.