Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
Dayna1984
Registered Users

VBA2C?

My first was a medically necessary cesarean. I accepted it, and know in my heart that it was best. It still hurt, and for years I convinced myself that the second would be different.

I had a "supportive" OB. Truthfully, she wasn't supportive at all. She didn't diagnose me with pre-e, although I had been having high blood pressure (untreated) for well over two trimesters. She broke my water at 1cm (despite me questioning, and being told it was no big deal). I was confined to the bed (not explained), and pitocin started. I had an epidural pushed on me at 2cm, and although I argued it, I was told if I didn't get it then, that they wouldn't be able to provide one ASAP when I was ready. The machine delivering the pitocin died, and when the nurse went to bring in another she started the drip at the same level it was left off at--my uterus went into overdrive and pitocin was decreased to the lowest level. I stopped progressing (I was at 4CM), and they let me go for 20 hours. I argued that the epidural wasn't working (holy moly was I in PAIN!). The anethesiologist refused to believe me although I couldn't open my eyes and was in tears begging for help. My daughter had two decels and they rushed me for a repeat cesarean. They knocked me out within minutes of her birth. I missed it all. I was told I didn't progress, but the reports show that I did hit 5CM. So it was slowly happening.

I have beat myself up over this more times than I can count. I've seen counselors, been placed on medication to stabilize my moods, etc. It just haunts me, and causes emotional pain. I read all I could read, I joined ICAN. I tried to find a supportive doctor, and at the very end.. I failed. I was angry at my husband because he never wanted to read what I was reading. I'm angry I didn't write a birth plan to at least have somewhat of a voice. I'm angry that the only DOULA listed on the DONA site never responded to me. I'm angry that my mother never traveled out to assist. I just feel like I was left alone to fight a battle that I ultimately lost. A battle that I questioned each intervention. It's just depressing.

But then.. lately I find myself thinking of when to plan our last. I had my cesarean nearly 14 months ago. I know I can plan at anytime, but I don't want to rush it. We will be moving to a new state/city soon. I am not having much luck looking for a support VBA2C doctor.

I just don't know what do. I have this looming fear that I will never experience a vaginal birth. I feel empty, and that my body is broken. I even get jealous reading that others have accomplished it!

My blood pressure took months to come back down after my daughters birth. The other day (without medication for over a week) it was 129/83. Still not ideal, but so much better.

I guess I just want to hear from others that went on and had a VBAC after 2 or more cesareans? What did you do to prepare? How did your husband prepare? What questions did you ask doctors?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Dayna1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: VBA2C?

I had a vba2c. I actually had 2 vba2c. I also moved during Dd1 pregnancy. I did my research and found a doctor who was supportive and did them. He has also done many lectures on the topic along with medical essays and his wife had one 16 yrs ago.

I searched ican website and local mom forums. That is how I found him.

My dh was very supportive bc he was not a fan of the c/s but he also was nervous. His feeling though it was my decision.

As for preparing for it. I put myself in the right mindset. I also new I trusted my dr so if something happen were I had to have a repeat c well then I knew I did everything.

For me it was all about my health mentally and physically. And as silly as it sounds yoga really helped me from early pregnancy until delivery. It helped with breathing, poses that help things move along, mental health, and pushing.

I also looked I to foods that help and silly enough I found out dates could help with pregnancy and speedy birth.

Gl
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
Dayna1984
Registered Users

I know this sounds silly, but I hate even admitting I've had two cesareans. My first was legitimately straight to cesarean for the complications. I had never labored. So truthfully I hate counting it, because it's not like my body couldn't do it. It was just what was best for my daughter. I just hate claiming it because I feel like other medical professionals consider when hearing I've had two, that my body twice didn't progress to allow a vaginal delivery.

My husband has seen how badly this has worn on me. THankfully he is all about support now. Whenever we discuss having another, he's quick to say that he will do whatever is needed. He too trusted the doctor, and when talking to friends and such, he has even told me that he knows now how wrong it was to have a AROM at 1 cm. So he's coming around.

I just need to battle the nerves and get myself in a mentally healthy position to do it. It's just so hard to let go because I've been through so much.

Thank you for your reply!
Dayna1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I dealt with that after my first c/s. with my 2nd baby had low amniotic fluid so I just didn't try for a vbac. But I actually went into labor on the day of schedule c/s.

I just think that mentally for me things happened for a reason and that helped me relax. My job after the 2 c/s was to just prepare my body. So I would get in the best health before becoming pregnant mentally and physically. And do as much research you can on the topic!

Gl!
Old 10-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Tp

Last edited by dagmomma; 10-24-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Last edited by dagmomma; 10-24-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:41 PM   #7
Lyric
Registered Users
seller

I had a VBA2C in October I second the yoga man did it help me get through it although my water usually ruptures it did not this time and the midwife ruptured it at 8cm. Also I think it helps to have very supportive nurses all positive energy surrounding you. I actually had a doctor come in the room when my midwife wasn't there trying to scare me into another c section stating I tried it with the pregnancy before and was unsuccessful. I basically went off on her and she never returned to my room. So be prepared for the scare tactics they like to use. I wish you much success and if it were me I would wait until it has been 2 years before trying to get pregnant.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:34 PM   #8
punkyb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just had a very successful vbac after 2 c's. I felt it completely necessary for myself and my family. If you can find a supportive ob or midwife, go for it. I had been in agony with having a c- and thankfully God answered my prayers. My husband got a permanent job with insurance and I switched providers. I live in a vbac ban area (well over 100 mile radius). So I did a homebirth with great success. I was scared my husband would not be supportive. My last c- he was not supportive of me going in and pushing, and neither was his mother who was in town. Really was angry after that. But I kept on praying and hoping. So this time around I prayed and finally got to the breaking point at 37 weeks and switched (insurance kicked in at that time). I had incomplete ultrasound reports from the previous provider that are vital to successful vbac. Sooo another ultrasound confirmed placenta location and eased our minds. And everything went on from there. I sympathize with you and how agonizing it can be. I felt like a failure for not standing up. I felt like crap from all the meds and really was angry that I had no support. But after having some terrible recovery and dh having to do everything and drive every where after the last c- he was very supportive this time. Hoping the best for you. And everything with stride. Only one day at a time. Work on healthy you so you can be at your best and make the best decision for you and your family. And consider yourself a person who had to deal with a circumstance, not a failure. You did the best you could with what was handed to you. No one else walks in your shoes except you. You did your best by having healthy babies. I hope the very best for you.
punkyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #9
mamalusbear
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wow these are all such amazing and inspiring stories, thank you ladies for all this wonderful encouragement and hope. OP, I was discouraged and and I had to do some research and ask around, but I found a very wonderful OB who was willing to allow me the choice of a VBAC2c......OP just keep asking around, do some research, there are great OBs out there and hospitals who will do a VBAC2c.
mamalusbear is offline   Reply With Quote