Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
aries416
Registered Users
seller

Diarrhea Question (Stress?)

My new 3 yr old just started special ed preschool. He's gone for 7 days now and 5/7 he's had diarrhea within the first hour. He's also crying and upset during this time. He calms down after.

Prior to starting school, he poop was firm. He is still nursing some, but I'm pregnant and my milk dried up...hence the solid poop. Nothing in his diet has changed, except for him getting Goldfish crackers (he has a dairy sensitivity) Sunday and Monday. That might explain Monday and Tuesday's issues, but usually he has diarrhea immediately after dairy.

He has a speech delay so he can't tell me what is going on.

He has been going to speech therapy for almost 9 months and has pooped there once. He never pooped at his previous daycare that he attended 2 days a week for 6 months. He is the kid who locks himself in the bathroom at home to go. He does not like to go in public at all.

Is it possible that this new school is too stressful for him? I can't think of any other reasons as to why this is happening.

He is pooping right before we go to school in the AM also, which is unlike his previous habits.

Advertisement

Old 10-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Re: Diarrhea Question (Stress?)

My daughter would soil herself when we tried to put her down to bed, alone in her room. I gave up on the 'crying it out' menothed because everytime she would get so worked up and soil herself That could be what is happening to your son. I heard of a boy in our nursery who would cry so hard everytime his parents left he would throw up, they thought it was funny though... Do you really want him in the school? I think 3 is very young, he probably just needs some more time at home with you. Maybe try in another year?
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
aries416
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaof2cuties4ever View Post
My daughter would soil herself when we tried to put her down to bed, alone in her room. I gave up on the 'crying it out' menothed because everytime she would get so worked up and soil herself That could be what is happening to your son. I heard of a boy in our nursery who would cry so hard everytime his parents left he would throw up, they thought it was funny though... Do you really want him in the school? I think 3 is very young, he probably just needs some more time at home with you. Maybe try in another year?
That could be it. The problem is that he barely qualified for an IEP for classroom time this year. I feel he really needs the speech and socialization. It's 10 kids with 3 adults. No where else would give him that! The school told me at his initial meeting that he has basically zero chance of qualifying next year. Pulling him out would mean he can't go back until the year before K. This preschool is fabulous. I'm just worried it's too much stress for him.

I might consider asking if I can stay with him for a bit. It's at our public school and they have a new policy that we have to drop off in the lobby. He is not good with separating from me and this is especially hard for him. Although, after the first couple days of the week, he does okay with this part.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries416 View Post
That could be it. The problem is that he barely qualified for an IEP for classroom time this year. I feel he really needs the speech and socialization. It's 10 kids with 3 adults. No where else would give him that! The school told me at his initial meeting that he has basically zero chance of qualifying next year. Pulling him out would mean he can't go back until the year before K. This preschool is fabulous. I'm just worried it's too much stress for him.

I might consider asking if I can stay with him for a bit. It's at our public school and they have a new policy that we have to drop off in the lobby. He is not good with separating from me and this is especially hard for him. Although, after the first couple days of the week, he does okay with this part.
Maybe you could stay with him, just until he starts to get used to it.

I dont know if you go to church or not but a few ladies at my church get together (like a play date) to do a small study while the kids play. I have a 2.5 year old who does not like to leave me so the other bible study with a nursery doesnt work well. She is the same one who would soil herself when she cried too hard. Maybe if you can find a play group around you or ask some moms at your church he could still get the socialization you want but you are also still there incase he gets lonely. Good luck!
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
MIpiccolo44
Registered Users
seller
seller

Are you sure they're not giving him anything to eat that has dairy? It can be hard for people to recognize everything that has dairy.
MIpiccolo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
Queen_Celeste
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would check what they are giving him for motivators at school. My son can't have Great Value fruit snacks. Scary things happen to his bowels. Once we figured that out, we were fine.

Also, they might be avoiding obvious cheese/milk, but most breads and crackers have whey. If he is really sensitive, they will need to avoid all forms of milk and milk protein. It might not be something you notice at home because you don't eat much foods with those things in them. But, they use crackers, cookies, etc a LOT to motivate kids to work learning things.
Queen_Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote