Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #21
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palooka
It does. Also your avatar nearly made me cry today. A super hormonal mess I was sitting at my desk reading this thread, eating soup, and thinking "But sometimes sad NEEDS angry to protect her..."

Awwww

I put it as my Avi because I have been feeling very down lately and have been acting out in anger. It fits right now.

Advertisement

Hum Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:02 AM   #22
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: serious parenting fail

You are not a bad mom at all. I have been there too, many times. I always felt horrible afterwards too. Usually resulted in more mommy snuggles.

Many times when pregnant with #3 I would turn on a movie and #1 (5) and would sit on the chair and #2 (3) would sit behind me on the couch. They would watch the movie and I would sleep. It was the only way I could get through the day.

Or we would all go in my bed and snuggle--they watched TV, I slept.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #23
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

mama. Hope today was a better day.

for the napping thing - any chance he is extroverted and gets energy from being around people? He might need to be left alone is in room (safely/gated) - away from you - to let himself fall asleep. That way if he is going to nap, he will, and even if he doesn't you are free to go about your business or have a nap yourself.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:18 PM   #24
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGiggles View Post
mama. Hope today was a better day.

for the napping thing - any chance he is extroverted and gets energy from being around people? He might need to be left alone is in room (safely/gated) - away from you - to let himself fall asleep. That way if he is going to nap, he will, and even if he doesn't you are free to go about your business or have a nap yourself.
The rest of the week has been much better, thank you for asking. I think the kid just loves me and won't nap when I'm home, and that I need to stop stressing about it. If I leave him in his room with the door open he will just come out and smile at me, then run back to bed when he knows I've seen him. It's a game to him. I can put him in time out a dozen times and he will still get up out of bed. If I shut the door he sobs hysterically, and it doesn't stop. I tried sleep training a few months ago and he would cry until he vomited, and it made him fear his room and panic if he couldn't see that the door was open. So I have no intention of doing that again. I think next nap time I will just take him to the park and run him ragged, and maybe he'll just take a later nap if at all. Lying in bed with him only seems to put one of us to sleep, so I'm not going to do it anymore unless he's basically already asleep.

This is him this morning. He slept in and then was too lazy for breakfast, preferring instead to get his thumb and favorite blanket and read superman in the hammock. He is like a little clone of me.

Last edited by Palooka; 10-31-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #25
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

We use a gate for nap time with my oldest. She has the fear of being in a closed room as well. Youngest likes the door shut for her nap.

And omg look at your view. I love the hammock with those nice big windows!
Hum Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:28 PM   #26
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hum Bums View Post
And omg look at your view. I love the hammock with those nice big windows!
Thanks! That is the park across the street. Our apartment has no heat or AC (well it does, but we have had to cover every vent in plastic because downstairs neighbor smokes), no dishwasher, no washer or dryer, the breaker trips if you try to use the microwave and the toaster at the same time, and it's up 3 flights of steep stairs... but the park makes everything totally worth it!!
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:44 PM   #27
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Aww, I've never read any indication on here that you're a bad mom....even with this thread . If he doesn't nap, is he a mess that night? Or the next day? If it's truly bc he is cherishing the time he has you all to himself, then let it be. Maybe do the tire him out thing right after lunch, then lay in the hammock with him. Don't even call it nap time. Or, if you do TV, put a movie on and snuggle and if you all doze off, then bonus!
Old 10-31-2013, 08:51 PM   #28
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
:Hugs: I had no idea how hard parenting a toddler would be while pregnant. I feel guilty on a daily basis. Sometimes bad days just happen. You are still a good parent! So many parents slap their kid when they feel frustrated without a second thought, much less apologizing.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:29 AM   #29
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by miriamleigh View Post
Pregnancy+non sleeping kid=mommy temper tantrums. My 4 year old is a terrible sleeper, always has been. I have lost it with her on many occasions. You're a wonderful mom, so stop beating yourself up. These things just happen. Go easy on yourself:-)
Yes.

OP, I've had several parenting fails since getting pregnant, including a slap or two more than I care to admit. I never thought I would parent this way. I now know those episodes were due to exhaustion and just feeling awful overall, not that there's any excuse to slap my kid. You are not alone.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:12 AM   #30
Angel89411
Banned

DS1 was 2/3 while I was pregnant with DS2. Between morning sickness and exhaustion, I felt like a crappy mom. The kid held my hair while I threw up regularly. Got me and himself water and snacks. Played in my bed instead of waking me up. I still snapped at him at times. It is HARD.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote