Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2013, 05:53 PM   #41
genevievej84
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymark
The car seat test requirements are weight based. Typically babies that are leaving the hospital under 6lbs are required to do the test. Many NICU babies do require the test, but not all. Many babies who don't spend any time in the NICU (such as one of my twins) also require the test.
They actually aren't weight based, it's based on gestational age and/or respiratory maturity (I work in a NICU). Per the AAP, any baby born before 37 weeks should be given a car seat challenge (called an Angle Tolerance Test) before discharge. That being said, it's not nationwide policy, and practices and protocols will vary widely between different hospitals. We test all babies before 37 weeks, and any baby born after who requires some sort of respiratory aid or support after birth.

Advertisement

genevievej84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:19 AM   #42
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hospitals having attitude about convertible seats?

I've never been checked. I hold the baby while I'm wheeled to the front of the hospital to the loading zone. Then I stick the baby in the seat there. I've always used bucket seats, but I'm not sure I'm going to this time around!
They never ask questions. Usually it's just a volunteer for the hospital.
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:28 AM   #43
sylverstarz17
Registered Users

My Mood:
The hospital I had DD at in 2010 made us bring the carseat in. We had to strap her in in the room, the nurse checked the straps real quick and I was wheeled out to the curb while carrying the carseat in my lap-- it was super ackward for me.

DS was born at a different hospital this year and we brought the bucket in, assuming they would do the same but they actually would not let us carry him out that way and made DH take it back to the car. A volunteer wheeled us out with me carrying him and watched me buckle him in there.
sylverstarz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #44
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

all babies at our hospital regardless of size must pass the car seat test. And all babies car seats are checked by a tech before baby is released to go home. My son was 11lbs 7 oz and we had to bring in the car seat for the car seat test and after the tech went out with dh to check the install. Then we could leave.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #45
sweetpeapumpkinbaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

My son was in the NICU but they did not require a "carseat challenge"- it probably depends on the baby. Our convertible stayed installed in the car, and a nurse walked with us out to the parking garage (I carried the baby) to watch us strap him in.

ETA: I was wheeled to the curb when I was released from the hospital the day after he was born. When he was released from the NICU (which was at a different hospital from the one he was born in), I walked as I carried him to the car- maybe because it was 9 days later, they figured I was up to it?

Last edited by sweetpeapumpkinbaby; 11-02-2013 at 07:50 AM.
sweetpeapumpkinbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #46
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by genevievej84

They actually aren't weight based, it's based on gestational age and/or respiratory maturity (I work in a NICU). Per the AAP, any baby born before 37 weeks should be given a car seat challenge (called an Angle Tolerance Test) before discharge. That being said, it's not nationwide policy, and practices and protocols will vary widely between different hospitals. We test all babies before 37 weeks, and any baby born after who requires some sort of respiratory aid or support after birth.
It must really vary. My twins were born at 37 weeks, neither received any respiratory support or aid after birth. Neither went to the NICU. The twins could have been released the morning after their birth, but I could not be released yet (caesarean). I'm in KS & one twin was tested in her car seat for 1 hr (we lived 45 min from our hospital) due to her weight only. She was born 5lbs 8 oz & left the hospital at 5lbs 4 oz. we had a Chico keyfit & it barely worked - she needed several rolled receiving blankets to sit securely per the hospital.

I also called my sister (delivery nurse in IA). There is no NICU at her hospital, they transfer any infants who *could* require NICU care, & they test based on weight only.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #47
Bellaroo
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72 View Post
all babies at our hospital regardless of size must pass the car seat test. And all babies car seats are checked by a tech before baby is released to go home. My son was 11lbs 7 oz and we had to bring in the car seat for the car seat test and after the tech went out with dh to check the install. Then we could leave.
Wow! We didn't even get asked if we had a car seat nor did anyone go with us to our car. We put our son in his carrycot and walked out of the ward. No questions asked.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #48
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellaroo View Post
Wow! We didn't even get asked if we had a car seat nor did anyone go with us to our car. We put our son in his carrycot and walked out of the ward. No questions asked.
And to me that seems so odd! The day before we were to be released they told dh he had to have the car seat there by 3 pm. (it was out in the car) so he went and got it. While they had ds for his hearing test and one other test they took the car seat too and did the car seat test, it was just a half hour. Then they returned ds to me and a little while later a tech came and took dh out to the car to check the install and go over proper use with him. My son was a BIG boy who was born full term and had absolutely no respiratory support required, healthy as can be and they did this. My SIL delivered this week at the same hospital 5 1/2 years later and she mentioned the same thing when I was with her today. That the tech kind of made her hubby feel a little uncomfortable because she treated him like he didn't know anything until she saw he had indeed already installed the seat correctly. But she said her little girl had the same test and the tech checked their install. And although her little girl was a bit early she was 7+ lbs and also no respiratory issues, released right on time and still had the test done. It really must vary by area!

ETA: I've had a couple of nephews who couldn't pass the car seat test and were sent home in car beds but they were all early, in the nicu, and needed respiratory support but had passed everything else to go home just couldn't handle the car seat.

Last edited by slimy72; 11-02-2013 at 05:41 PM.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #49
D's Mutti
Registered Users

We also got a convertible car seat from the beginning. My hospital didn't have any issues with us having a convertible car seat. The only check, if you want to call it that, that was in place was that the nurse that rolled me down to the entrance of the hospital in my wheelchair checked to see that LO was strapped into the car seat before she left.

ETA: I held LO in my arms as the nurse pushed us both to the entrance in the wheelchair. No car seat test was ever mentioned.

Last edited by D's Mutti; 11-02-2013 at 05:47 PM.
D's Mutti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #50
heyhol
Registered Users

with my dd they had us bring the car seat into the hospital. with this LO we are using the same car seat but have lost the base during a move. i hope they dont give us crap about it even though bases are just for convenience, not for safety.
heyhol is offline   Reply With Quote