Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-31-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
Registered Users

My DD is a freshman in HS and is STRUGGLING emensly. She has dyslexia and was able to accommodate farily easily in middle school and before but now things are just going crazy.

Her biggest concern is written assignments. She can *speak* and answer 100 times faster than writing it...and it seems almost every single assignment in HS is a written assignment. I am doing her 504 meeting next week and was going to ask if she could use a device to help her with the writing assignments/notes etc.

in my mind I imagine an app or something that can hear her words and make them into typed answers?? Or something that can take written notes and make them a document she can add her words to (typing)..

She has HORRIBLE handwriting even though she takes for ever to write things, can't spell, misses words, letters, etc...and she wants to turn in "perfect" assignements so she can get the best grade but it is literally taking her forever to get anything done....

So...what are some suggestions for devices / programs I should be looking at?

I want to have an idea of what she might be able to use when I bring it up at the meeting. I also want to have an idea on how much I am willing/able to spend and whether I will ask the school to help with funding(if that is even possible??) or if they might already have access to programs/aps?

Lanicia Mama to 3 crazy kiddos - A - 14 P - 6 E - 5 and a little baby J - 2

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
formerly 4boysMomma
My Mood:
Re: iPad...laptop...tablet...?

She needs an IEP mama. Formally ask for one in writing. 504 plans are mainly for health issues. (For example, my son with severe anxiety has a 504, my son with Aspergers and a math and written expression LD has an IEP.) You will need an IEP for the big academic stuff. It will help you get a reduced work load on the written assignments. For example, she may be able to do a paragraph rather than a whole page, or she may be able to take a quiz on the computer to check comprehension rather than writing an essay. Perhaps she can give an oral report. There is no need for her to struggle so much, poor thing!

I have heard of a computer program called Dragon that you talk to and it composes it into words. Have no idea what it costs but I know some students at my son's school (a specialized charter for kids on the spectrum used it). My son says he believes there are some iPad apps that can do it as well (I am asking him as we speak, lol).
Mom of six boys
DS(18)DS(15) DS(13) DS(5) DS(2) and Baby DS
who are the love of my life and the bane of my existence all wrapped up in one wonderful wacky package.
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: iPad...laptop...tablet...?

We have programs at our school that the kid can speak and it writes it out. We also have programs that read the text to the child.

Get a laptop, not a tablet. We piloted both at school. Tablets don't have keyboards, so they are a PITA in the classroom. Kids did better with a traditional keyboard on a laptop. Every kid in our building is getting a chromebook next week. They are cheap and pretty awesome.

Def. get an IEP and some help from sped. It is only going to get worse in terms of writing. They are getting the kids ready for college, so there is a ton of writing. She is going to need some help to get her thoughts on paper. Email the head of sped TODAY and set up a meeting. While making the assignments shorter will help in the short term, that isn't the answer because college isn't going to let her have shorter assignments. You, your daughter, and her sped team/classroom teachers need to help her find a system to get ALL of her thoughts on paper. There are products out there, and the school may even already have them. She may also benefit from a period in the resource room isntead of an elective to have someone help her with the writing where she can dictate and the person writes it down.
Middle school teacher by day, super mom by night
Mommy to The Boss~2007, The Energizer Bunny~2009, and The Princess~2011
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 10-31-2013 at 09:47 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:
Dragon dictation is awesome on an iPad. If see if u can find someone with one to test it out. I think it was even free
Suzi, working mama to my ODS(2004) , YDS(2006), DSD(2004) and married to the love of my life
Suzi is offline   Reply With Quote