Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
princessgirl409
Registered Users
seller

Phonics/Reading Help

My ds is 7 and we use Rod and Staff. He's finishing up 1st grade and will go right into 2nd.
But, we are behind in Phonics.
He taught himself how to read with very little help from me or a curriculum. And because I have two older than him that needed more attention with school work, we didn't spend as much time on Phonics as we should have.

He knows all of his letters and sounds,short vowels,long vowels,blends,etc. and can read well, but has trouble with some phonics based things such as words with "special sounds" (-tion at the end of a word,etc). He also needs a bit of help with fluency.

I am wondering if something like Hooked on Phonics would be good to give him the extra help he needs and still be fun for him,because truthfully Rod and Staff isn't the most exciting!

What do those of you that have used HOP before think?

Advertisement

dd 4/09 dd 1/11
dd 12/13 (24 wks) expecting twins 1/15
princessgirl409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Phonics/Reading Help

Having not found anything as thorough as Rod and Staff I would just keep doing their phonics and reading with him. In fact, we use Rod and Staff phonics in 1st and 2nd grade, even though all my kids have read at a second grade level by the end of kindergarten. I agree it isn't the most exciting, but it is so incredibly thorough.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:34 AM   #3
canadianmomof5
Registered Users

Re: Phonics/Reading Help

Second grade hooked on phonics might work, but it sounds like he may be past that level. After second grade HOP, I started the hooked on Phonics master reader program. It may be exactly what you need for your son at this time. Here is a good overview of the program:
http://www.almightydad.com/education...-master-reader
I hope that helps!
canadianmomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote