Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #11
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Response To Intervention?

I'd ask for some input on RTI from some of the teachers on here. I kind of understand the framework from when DP was teaching & now as an admin in charge of RTI, but it's not a thorough understanding, and I don't want to misinform anyone.

It does, however, sound like there's a discrepancy between her verbal and performance (i.e. she does well in class but struggles on the test) & that's a cause for intervention so she can get caught up. Likewise, if she truly is distractible, it's understandable that they would want to determine if it's because she struggles to understand the reading content or whether she's precocious & is bored. And IMO, a May b-day isn't so "young". Cutoff around me has always been December, so a full 6 mos younger than your DD. My own b-day is in November & while I was socially immature, I never struggled with content. How is she doing with her sight words? Comprehension? The teacher should be communicating with you what precisely they are hoping responds to intervention--I'd *personally* want to know why they're looking at pulling students out of normative experiences, rather than pushing intervention into reading time, KWIM?

I just don't think there's enough information to be able to say yes, do it, or no, don't.

Advertisement

Old 10-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #12
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopetc
I would ask for a meeting with her teacher. If this placement is based on testing and it does not match what the teacher sees in class, is she being put there for test taking skills rather than reading? Can the test be redone? How close is she to not needing it? Is it reasonable that you could work on the skills at home?
This. I'd want to know more about why before I made my decision, and consider an all day school program if the accelerated one is not enough to help meet her reading needs.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #13
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:

First of all, did you know that she was at risk? There are numerous assessments and other data that teacher used for this. Have you seen it? I'd ask for a conference as soon as possible.

Secondly, she should be receiving intervention by her teacher AND if needed the RTI. I agree with YES she needs the music and YES she needs the intervention. I would stress to the school the reason why you select the charter school and then check to see if she could do intervention 3-4 days a week at a local public school. Again, you'd want to meet with the teacher to see what/ where her "at risk" status came from.

Kinder is such an important year. It is VITAL that she have early interventions. What has the teacher sent home for you to work on at home?

Sight words are HUGE in kinder! If they can read the sight words--it will get them out of the at risk level; also being able to read nonsense words.
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:25 PM   #14
Malenkaya
Registered Users
seller

Thanks to all who replied. I will be emailing the teacher for more detailed information. If they think she needs it I will enroll her. Hopefully it won't be all year, and she can test out of it. I will also ask the teacher if she feels she *needs* it 5 days a week. I don't want to cheat her out of the enrichment subjects, but obviously reading is way too important to just not do it.

DH calls me a helicopter parent and can't seem to take any concerns I have about DD seriously. She had the low test scores on the beginning of year assessments and then when her report card came home with all E's he said "feel better?" I showed him this letter and he says "yeah, she's lazy. Put some reading apps on the iPad, she loves that thing."

What kind of things do you think we could do at home to help? I debated ABCmouse.com for quite a while before school started but once she started I figured that was probably pointless now. I'd like to work with her at home as well because I want to have an idea what she can and can't do, and not just hear it from school.

I also wanted to address the idea that she may be doing too much. She is in school 20 hours a week (versus what, 35-40 in a full day school?) and 3 hours a week in extra curriculars. That's one hour of dance, two hours of gymnastics, one hour a day. So that's still less overall hours than a kid in "regular" full time school. The modeling she's done is once every few months, usually a couple hours on a Saturday afternoon. It's not something she's doing frequently.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:39 PM   #15
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Maybe spend a little time working on Starfall together with her? It is a great website and my daughter loved doing it with me. I don't see the extras as a problem--I have kids involved in a lot and they thrive on that. My only concern would be if they think she needs RTI, maybe a full day kindy program might be better with more time spent on reading and then she wouldn't be missing specials so much.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 10-31-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:42 PM   #16
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

With my boys in kinder this year we do site words daily. We also read to them, and have them read to us now. Both are reading the first-readers, can sound out VCV words and know a bank of site words already. Their teachers have sent home a list of words to learn this quarter (32), and they learned about 10 first quarter. They knew letters/letter sounds going in, so they have built off that. I don't agree w/ just putting apps on the ipad. You need to spend time with her, see what she is learning and how quickly she is picking up on things. I put all the site words on flashcards, and do them daily, adding a few when needed. We also have Pop For Site Words game (learning resources brand). Being able to read the early site word books is very fun for my kids. Or have them pick out certain words in their books. They also like writing sentances on their own. Maybe have her demonstrate her new word by making a sentence and drawing a picture. Since she's only in 4 hours of school per day, I would want to work with her at least another hour per day, breaking it up into different activities that work on site words.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:56 PM   #17
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thought of something else I do...

I made a list of 10 words in big font and printed it out. I put the list on DD's bedroom door. Every time I walked by it, I asked her about the words. After a couple days she knew them. So then I mixed them up and printed it again. It helped her a bunch.

I used the Dolch sight words for the first bunch DD learned.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #18
Malenkaya
Registered Users
seller

Wanted to say I briefly spoke with the teacher yesterday at pickup. Didn't want to discuss anything specifically in front of all the other parents and kids, but told her I had received the letter and I was going to email her some questions. So when I got home that's what I did. Haven't heard anything back yet. Told her that DH and I wanted to discuss and make a decision this weekend, and the info I asked for was going to be important in making that decision. The letter has to be returned on Tuesday.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #19
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
She can get music at home, or will catch up.
Reading is an essential foundation skill for success in life and school. Yes, work at home but do get her the extra help at school; better she misses music than other important subjects.
pinktoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #20
Malenkaya
Registered Users
seller

After two emails with the teacher, trying to figure out exactly *where* she is lagging behind, I was told "she is struggling with paying attention during the guided reading groups."

But the teacher agrees the enrichment class is also important and it's her opinion that DD doesn't need to be in RTI 5 days a week. So we've basically decided on RTI on Mon-Wed-Fri and letting her go to music on Tues-Thurs. She will also send home materials in her folder that I can help her with at home to see what they are doing and how it is going.

DD has always had a lack of focus. I admit I think it's holding her back. During the meet the teacher thing before school started we had to fill out a form with information about our child, and under "what does your child struggle with" I wrote one word: focus. I first started seeing it when she started taking gymnastics. She seems to do better with dance. She can sit for hours and do something she's interested in, but she has a hard time doing something she's been told to do if it doesn't strike her fancy right then and there. (For the record, I'm basically the same way.)

I have suspected ADHD and even had her screened before school started. I was told they didn't see any of the signs. I had to pursue the screening on my own because her pediatrician blew me off when I inquired during her well check earlier in the year. To quote the doctor: "She's going to school in the fall, right? They will tell you if there is something wrong with her." Basically I was trying to be proactive and not end up where we seem to be now.

I also asked the teacher how many kids were going to be taking this special class with her because the teacher kept referring to "one on one tutoring time" and that made me wonder if it's really just her. She responded that it would be a breach of confidentiality to tell me this. Um, no. It would be a breach if she told me *who* was going to be in the class with her. But telling me that 2, 8 or 12 other kids will be sharing this "one on one" tutoring time (which is a 40 minute slot) is actually relevant to my child. I did tell the teacher this in my reply, and I did my best to not be snarky about it. Not sure how successful I was though.

It doesn't help that I have expressed concerns to DH, the pediatrician and then did the screening and everyone has told me there is nothing wrong. Until now. And quite truthfully I think the teacher is the least qualified of the people we've dealt with, so having her "in my corner" doesn't make me feel much better about the situation.

It doesn't help that she graduated high school (the school she's now teaching at) the same year DD was born, was a last minute replacement for the regular teacher (who decided to become a SAHM at the last minute) and prior to this was working at a bakery as a cake decorator. (Thank you FB.) She is really still a child herself. DH simply refers to her as "the twit."