Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #1
blackberry75
Registered Users

Mashed potatoe recipe that freezes well

T-day is going to be a little crazy this year, so I'm looking for anything that will save me time the day of and the day before. I will not have time to wash, peel, cut, boil, mash the potatoes either day-----and I won't have T-day w/o them. Suggestions?

Advertisement

blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Mashed potatoe recipe that freezes well

We do make ahead mashed here, DH's family calls them funeral potatoes. It's basically a regular mashed potato recipe, with more butter, some sour cream and a package of cream cheese whipped in there. You put it into a pan, and you can fridge it or freeze it, pull out and warm in the oven. It does take some time to reheat because it is pretty dense, but still easier than mashing at the last second.

Other ideas for saving time, Jamie Oliver has a mot hod using chicken wings to do make ahead gravy and we have done this for a few years. It's awesome, because it makes fabulous gravy and you don't have that last minute stress, too. You can add your turkey drippings to it, still, but the base is done.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
sublime.mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would cook them normally and freeze them in the cooked chunks. Then it's quick to remove from freezer and steam until hot, then mash with all the goodies-I'd say less than 10 minutes freezer to table.
Although any complete mashed potatoes would quickly reheat in a pan with enough milk added to be able to stir them up. If going for all the way finished mashed potatoes, I'd freeze them in cookie dough sized balls so the thaw while heating is quick. Freezing in a ziplock, baking dish or tupperware is likely to take longer than expected, imo
Old 01-12-2014, 11:13 PM   #4
Sadies_Mommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I know I'm late, but I just wanted to share - I freeze mashed potatoes often (we eat potatoes 5 nights a week probably)... I mash them and wait to add milk, butter, etc until after I thaw them. The first time I did it for some reason they had a watery, spongey texture, but every time after that so far it has been fine. I flatten them in a freezer bag, freeze, cut the bag and drop into a big pot when it's time to eat.
Sadies_Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote