Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
paulnkyliesmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
need some advice

Paul is 9 with autism.He was doing really good with me home homeschooling him and therapies and his meds but lately since my husband broke his foot and has been home from work Paul is acting out.He's hitting,screaming,raging.I'm overwhelmed right now trying to fiqure out how we're gonna make it on workman's comp and pull off any christmas.I'm applying for assistance and selling my plasma.I know he struggles when i'm tense and this just makes it worse.I'm gonna talk to his therapists at his appointment wednesday for ideas but hoping you all may have some ideas to try.We're gonna get through this and be okay i know,this is only a season in life but getting there is rough.

Advertisement

paulnkyliesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
ralenth
Registered Users

Re: need some advice

My oldest has aspergers, high functioning autism. Any change in his routine throws him off... I'm betting that he will calm down after a few weeks, when Dad being home becomes more routine. Have you ever done a social story with him? Maybe something like that might help. I would maybe email his therapists in the meantime, so they can have some solutions when you go in. Is that an option? If something major is going on, I usually email the adults in DS's life to give them a heads up (because he can't always say "I'm upset because..."). In the meantime ((((((hugs)))))) I hope things get easier.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do you guys do any sensory input?
Old 11-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:

One of my sons with ASD is always worse when DH is home. We have twice as many tantrums. I have no idea why because he loves his step dad. But our schedule is different, there is one more adult talking to him and giving him directions and he just gets overwhelmed I think. A social story is a great idea to explain his dad's injury and why he is home, and for how long, etc. Also just give it time. And talk to your DH and make sure you are on the same page discipline/schedule-wise. I know a lot of my son's tantrums are provoked by dad saying no to something I just said yes to or that we normally do and DH isn't aware of, etc.

As far as the financial stress, I hear ya. And try as I might, it does make me less patient and more reactive to my kids, which in turn makes their behavior worse and it becomes a vicious cycle that is hard to break. We go through it all the time, all I can suggest is take care of yourself. Get enough sleep, eat decently, do somethings you really enjoy that relax you, and take things one step at a time. It can help to apply the concept of "radical acceptance". Our life is crazy hard, and there isn't a lot we can do about it so we might as well try to enjoy the journey and find the joy where we can, even if its just 5 minutes a day sometimes.
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
yellowitchgrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think give it a few weeks to see if he calms down OP. Once he gets a new normal he might calm down some
Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan. Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (10), Luke(7) and James (2). My babies born into heaven : Zach, Toby and Simon WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy, 10% off with the code: DSE10 Facebook Wetbags, Snack Sacks, Fleece Soakers, Dresses, Naked Time Mats, Dresses, Wipes, Affordable Weighted Blankets and more! Check out my novels!! Ask for other places to buy.
yellowitchgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I think its easy to get in a bad cycle too. Kid acts out, we get frustrated then we punish, then kid acts our more then we just madder, etc. Maybe try to see if that is happening too. I know it does with our ODD son and I have to make a conscious effort to stop the downward cycle sometimes. Good luck!
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 11-10-2013 at 02:37 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote