Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:
Bringing own bottles and formula to the hospital?

So I called L&D and they suggested that I just use the regular Similac nursettes at the hospital and switch to our organic formula and glass bottles at home. Still, I would like our baby to get the good stuff from the start if possible. I am a bit OCD about what I feed my babies TBH. Not sure how I would work that out though. We typically don't ever send our babies to the nursery but I am having a tubal the day after birth so I might need to for a while, though DH is planning to be there if possible and hang out in our room, but realistically we have two littles and I think things might be crazy!!! We live like 5 minutes from the hospital so DH could easily take bottles home and run them through our dishwasher once a day if washing them there was an issue. Anyway, just interested if what others have done and if I need a reality check on this one.

Advertisement

And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
TikiLuCherry
Registered Users
seller

Re: Bringing own bottles and formula to the hospital?

Well, after DS and the hospital not giving any formula to me for my DS until way after I'd been moved to a recovery room, I'm going prepared this time around. Whether the hospital likes it or not, I'll have my own bottles prepped and ready to go so as soon as the new DS acts hungry, I can feed him, because I was *pissed* at the hospital for making us wait so long when my son was clearly hungry several hours before they finally were willing to bring any in.
TikiLuCherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
miriamleigh
Registered Users

We are bringing formula. DD had severe hypoglycemia and this baby is getting a bottle immediately after birth.
miriamleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas! Glad I am not alone in wanting to be kind of in control of this part, kwim? I am fiercely protective of my nb and usually won't let them out of my sight while we are in the hospital. I just got the feeling from L&D that while they were pretty chill about what I wanted to do, pretty much no one brought their own stuff and I am being a weirdo. Oh well, won't be the first time.

So sorry that both of you have had bad experiences tho! I can see where that could happen in certain hospitals. My last one was "baby friendly" and there was not a paci to be seen. My nurse said they keep them under lock and key, LOL. I was glad I brought my own!

So our glass bottles come in 3 packs. I am thinking if I have 9 and DH takes them home in the evening to wash and brings them back to me we should be good? Or should I go for 12? I am planning to feed him around 2 oz every 2-3 hours so the most we'd go through would be 12 bottles in a 24 hr period. We are going to be there 48 hours assuming all goes well. I can't imagine he'd need more than that...
Old 11-14-2013, 05:37 AM   #5
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

I also plan to bring my own for the next baby (if there is a next baby.) with DS, I pumped, so feeding wasn't an issue, but next baby (if there is one,) will be FF from day 1. I'll be bringing my own stuff for sure.
JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:39 AM   #6
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver)O(Moon View Post
Thanks mamas! Glad I am not alone in wanting to be kind of in control of this part, kwim? I am fiercely protective of my nb and usually won't let them out of my sight while we are in the hospital. I just got the feeling from L&D that while they were pretty chill about what I wanted to do, pretty much no one brought their own stuff and I am being a weirdo. Oh well, won't be the first time.

So sorry that both of you have had bad experiences tho! I can see where that could happen in certain hospitals. My last one was "baby friendly" and there was not a paci to be seen. My nurse said they keep them under lock and key, LOL. I was glad I brought my own!

So our glass bottles come in 3 packs. I am thinking if I have 9 and DH takes them home in the evening to wash and brings them back to me we should be good? Or should I go for 12? I am planning to feed him around 2 oz every 2-3 hours so the most we'd go through would be 12 bottles in a 24 hr period. We are going to be there 48 hours assuming all goes well. I can't imagine he'd need more than that...
I'd do 12 just in case. and I'd probably bring a little scrubbing thing and a mini bottle of soap just in case you end up needing to wash in a sink lol. can't hurt to be prepared.
JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeChickVee View Post
I'd do 12 just in case. and I'd probably bring a little scrubbing thing and a mini bottle of soap just in case you end up needing to wash in a sink lol. can't hurt to be prepared.
ditto this.

I bring my own stuff--
Old 11-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeChickVee View Post
Good idea. I think I will do just that so I am not completely stuck if we need to wash a bottle, but I would prefer the sterilizing effect of the dishwasher if possible. I am a little germ phobic. I just called and found out that each room has a mini fridge in it too so that will help since we are starting out with RTF. Sounds like this is going to work out ok!
Old 11-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #9
miriamleigh
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver)O(Moon View Post

They wouldn't give your baby a paci? Insert giant eye roll.
miriamleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #10
Happy Mommax4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Could you have your pediatrician write a script? Just in case they give you a hard time.