Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
mijamama
Registered Users

Ring Sling: is there a real difference? Or is a short wrap better

Hello learning curve!

Ring slings: Is there a difference?? Sakura bloom, didysling, Linen vs. woven. What does everyone recommend?

Or is a short wrap better? If so, why?

I have a moby but there's SO MUCH material I don't just grab it and go...

Advertisement

mijamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
saturn
Registered Users

Re: Ring Sling: is there a real difference? Or is a short wrap better

The main differences are in the fabric and in the way the shoulder is sewn.
There are lots of fabrics to choose from, and they vary in how warm/cool they are, how they feel, how supportive they are, how soft they are, and how easily they glide through the rings.
The fabric has to be gathered in some way in order to fit through the rings. The way the fabric is gathered and sewn is referred to as the "shoulder." Some of the more common shoulder styles are: pleated, folded, gathered, and 'hybrid' styles. Each sling manufacturer has a specific style that they use; Sleeping Baby Productions slings are pleated, Didysling and Sakura Bloom slings are gathered.

My favorite ring sling is a Sleeping Baby Productions wrap conversion ring sling with an eesti shoulder (which is a hybrid of the pleated and gathered shoulder styles). However, it's really just a matter of personal preference. There's no one sling that's THE BEST for everybody. I will say that IME, people tend to really like wrap conversion ring slings, so that's what I would recommend if you can afford it.
Sleeping Baby Productions has a really awesome website that has TONS of information about ring slings. It's worth checking out, even if you don't plan to buy a SBP sling.
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
littlegmama
Registered Users
seller

I had a homemade ring sling with my first baby. It came from a friend who LOVED hers so she requested one for me. She loved that you can flop the extra fabric over your chest while breastfeeding. Personally, I hated the sling. I could never get it adjusted comfortably so I never really used it. I usually just used a snuggi carrier. With my next baby, I plan to use the seven sling or another really basic sling or an old fashioned wrap like my mom used to use.
littlegmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I never got the hang of ring slings either and hated the Moby for the reasons you mentioned--too much fabric. For pop and go, I prefer the Gemini for newbie on up. Click, click, go. I wear it with the straps crossed like an X. The legs snap in for itty babies, and then unsnap when baby gets bigger to support the legs more.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 09-20-2013 at 07:57 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think you have gotten most of the information you were looking for. I never did like wrapping to be honest, no matter how much I tried and I even got my older son to let me practice with him (he was 5 at the time but super small). I liked Maya Wrap ring slings very well but I had a wrap conversion and even a home made ring sling that were also nice. My favorite carrier has always been a Mei Tai.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
mijamama
Registered Users

I got a sakura ring sling as a gift and LOVE IT! Still love my ERGO as the very most supportive carrier. BUT, sometimes a ring sling is just so much easier to slip baby into ..wear on hip... breastfeed... I highly recommend sakura! I wanted a girosol wrap b/c they are BEAUTIFUL but I think it just wasn't for me!
mijamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:41 AM   #7
Babystuffcrazy
Registered Users

My Mood:

highly recommend sleeping baby productions ring sling (wrap conversion is the best support). I have an easy care wrap ring sling, LOVE
Babystuffcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
EmBeach
Registered Users

I have a sbp conversion sling and it is great! I tried a shorty and found it harder to use than a ring sling
EmBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #9
haleznm
Registered Users
seller

I prefer a shorty. You can tie a 2 rebozo which is basically the same carry as a rs but you can also do so much more with it as well (ruck for one).
haleznm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #10
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I prefer the shortly because I think they'd more comfortable and I like to ruck, which you can't do in a ring sling.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote