Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #51
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ~~~November Chicken Moma Chat Thread~~Come join in!

So I tried soaking Aflac's feet this morning - she is very cooperative. There are 3 bumbles on one foot and 2 on the other - the smallest the size of a sunflower seed the largest about the size of a dime. I scrubbed the one foot and the scabs came off pretty easily, but the larger sized one bled a little bit. I rinsed it with hydrogen peroxide and put some antibiotic ointment on it, but I couldn't get a bandage to stay on. I'm going to go out there with baby socks tonight and see if I can vet wrap them on some how or other...

Advertisement

And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #52
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaLove88 View Post
Oh Liz you crack me up!! Im telling you, Gloria Estefan has to be the top of best chicken names...ever! That is too funny. Now she just needs to dance and shes all set. I have a few still unnamed. I'll have to get pics up so you can name mine now lol
heh heh well she paces, does that count? LOL She just laid her second egg this morning, it's nice to hear the egg song coming from the coop again. It's been pretty quiet around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrsenadenos View Post
Awww fluffy chickens!

Looking at the online pics I do think that Aflac might have bumblefoot. I have some of that blue antibiotic stuff on order from Meyer (it was on sale this week, I figured good to have either way) and I will soak her feet and bandage them up in the morning.
Aw, I'm sorry. If it's not super bad yet you can probably treat it with antibiotic cleaners and bandages. As I'm sure you discovered in your research there are cases where it's bad enough that you have to cut out the infected tissue. I hope you can get hers under control without that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyroberts View Post
Thank you! my dh thinks they are so ugly. But he thinks just plain ole RIR is just gorgeous.,whatever . Lol
LOL.. wierdo. My dh was very skeptical about her, even makes fun of her but she's the only chicken he will pick up and pet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrsenadenos View Post
So I tried soaking Aflac's feet this morning - she is very cooperative. There are 3 bumbles on one foot and 2 on the other - the smallest the size of a sunflower seed the largest about the size of a dime. I scrubbed the one foot and the scabs came off pretty easily, but the larger sized one bled a little bit. I rinsed it with hydrogen peroxide and put some antibiotic ointment on it, but I couldn't get a bandage to stay on. I'm going to go out there with baby socks tonight and see if I can vet wrap them on some how or other...
Poor, poor thing. I felt awful when my girls had it and I didn't notice until one was limping too. It is hard to wrap a chicken's foot I can't imagine wrapping a duck's. Remember you'll need guaze to pad the wound and keep it clean. The vetwrap is just the outer cover. The antibiotic ointment is good but if you can swing a bottle of vetericyn it will help tons. It's expensive but you don't use a lot and it's worth every penny. Maybe this link will help:http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/30...andaging-birds
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #53
roseyroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Poor Aflac! That doesn't sound like fun. So, the newbie spent the night inside last night. The only place I have to put her by herself is a huge rabbit type cage. It's not warm and even though I covered it with a tarp and put a light on her ( i couldn't find my heat bulb) all I had was a 120 wat bulb and in that kind of temp you couldn't feel any warmth off the thing . So in she came. I don't know if she isn't used to people food or what but she isn't real interested in food . I think she ate some crumble but won't touch and veggie or bread treats. Hopefully, just the change in homes.

Can we talk chicken feed? What are you feeding? How do you feed it? What's it costing you?

I'm was buying 2 bags feed a month . Free choice. Plus a bag of scratch every 2 months. $34 a month. However, everybody has grown so much I think I'm going to be buying 3 a month now. My youngest are 4 months old this wk. when can they switch to layer? Also what I am feeding the littles is 22% start, grow, lay is what it's called. It's supposed to work for all age groups . I have read that some disagree with the use of such high protein for layers as it can burn them out and cause decreased egg production long term after the initial season. Thoughts? I pulled my girls off of it at about 5 months after I heard this and put them on the 13% layer pellets. They far prefer the other and sneak into littles coop to feed themselves whenever possible. The littles are going through a big hanging feeder full everyday. Seems a bit excessive. What can I add to their diet to stretch my feed budget? They get all appropriate household scraps. I'm interested in sprouting the grains too. Going to try to get set up with that if I can find where to buy it??
Any thought or ideas are welcome. Anyone have better success with feeding a certain amount daily? What about mixing your own dry grains , anyone do that?

Last edited by roseyroberts; 11-14-2013 at 08:56 AM.
roseyroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #54
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Poor Aflac! That doesn't sound like fun. So, the newbie spent the night inside last night. The only place I have to put her by herself is a huge rabbit type cage. It's not warm and even though I covered it with a tarp and put a light on her ( i couldn't find my heat bulb) all I had was a 120 wat bulb and in that kind of temp you couldn't feel any warmth off the thing . So in she came. I don't know if she isn't used to people food or what but she isn't real interested in food . I think she ate some crumble but won't touch and veggie or bread treats. Hopefully, just the change in homes.

Can we talk chicken feed? What are you feeding? How do you feed it? What's it costing you?

I'm was buying 2 bags feed a month . Free choice. Plus a bag of scratch every 2 months. $34 a month. However, everybody has grown so much I think I'm going to be buying 3 a month now. My youngest are 4 months old this wk. when can they switch to layer? Also what I am feeding the littles is 22% start, grow, lay is what it's called. It's supposed to work for all age groups . I have read that some disagree with the use of such high protein for layers as it can burn them out and cause decreased egg production long term after the initial season. Thoughts? I pulled my girls off of it at about 5 months after I heard this and put them on the 13% layer pellets. They far prefer the other and sneak into littles coop to feed themselves whenever possible. The littles are going through a big hanging feeder full everyday. Seems a bit excessive. What can I add to their diet to stretch my feed budget? They get all appropriate household scraps. I'm interested in sprouting the grains too. Going to try to get set up with that if I can find where to buy it??
Any thought or ideas are welcome. Anyone have better success with feeding a certain amount daily? What about mixing your own dry grains , anyone do that?
whoaa.. slow down girl.. that's a lot of questions! Can you list how many you have of each age group? that's really vital info to being able to determine what and how much to feed.

For general dry crumble, you want to feed medicated starter until 8 weeks, then unmedicated starter or grower until they begin to lay or 18weeks if you want a general age to switch. They will always choose starter if given a choice, it's much higher in corn so it's sweeter. They don't need this. They will only get fat on it and it doesn't contain the calcium they need to protect their bones when they begin laying. Sounds like your littles aren't eating all the feed, your older ones are. I would switch everyone to the same feed now since they are 16weeks and that's close enough I'd say. That will help reduce your feed bill significantly since layer is cheaper.

I hope 13% protein is a typo, because they need 16% bare minimum. 16-18% is standard for layer feed. I'd also cut the scratch out, it's a waste of money and time. It's often referred to as chicken candy since it's not really of any nutritional value to them. I have also noticed a direct link to a increase in feather picking when mine eat larger quantities of corn. If you want to offer treat, I'd go for more bang for your buck and pick up a big bag of black oil sunflower seeds (BOSS) at walmart. They have the best price on a 20lb bag in the wild bird feeds.

OK so now for what I have been doing. I have been sprouting barley fodder for mine and doing fermented feeds. This has literally almost cut my feed bill in half. The easiest thing for you to do and probably the most cost effective would be to start a bucket of fermented feed for your birds. This makes the feed go farther and they get a lot more nutrition from it. I have 2 separate buckets for my chickens and my turkeys as the turks are on finisher. Last month I bought 2 bags (80lb) of chicken layer feed $26 and 1 (50lb) bag of turkey finisher $22 and 1 bag of recleaned whole barley (50lb) $15 for a total feed bill of $63 to feed 22 adult chickens and 5 adult turkeys. I'm only about 2 weeks into feeding the fodder regularly so the grain may go a little farther than that, we'll have to see what next month brings.

What I do is bring each pen a 5lb biscuit of fodder in the morning and then when that is completely consumed I give them a pan of fermented mash. They eat on that until around 3pm, when I give them a second smaller helping to fill them up before bed. They love it. They are slowly eating less and less but I do notice that the days it's cold they eat more of it. I haven't had much kitchen scraps to give them so the feed cost is a more accurate reflection of what they would eat without "free" fillers. The fodder isn't easy. I'm still having to tweak what I'm doing a little from day to day trying to figure out what works best. It took me 3 weeks of failing to get fodder to get anything worth feeding them at all. There's a lot of work involved and I would recommend that anyone who can have pasture or grass go that route first since that's really what you are artificially replicating anyhow.

I would love to mix my own grain but we just don't have the resources for the single grains here in my podunk town. Barley, oat, corn and red wheat is all you can get and most of it's rolled for horses. We are getting a TSC in january - I'm just every time I think about it! I would love to mix my own and ferment it and that's supposed to be WAY cheaper than buying pellets too.

Resources I used:
fermented feeding - she used whole grain but you can also use crumble or pellets, it's just not as pretty. I use crumbles. It looks like cream of wheat when it's served.
http://www.gardenbetty.com/2013/05/w...-chicken-feed/

Fodder feeding- I would also look into Azure standard if you don't have a good resource for whole grains near you, I am a member but missed the last order and got it at the feed store. The caveat to buying at the feed store is that you're going to get some random things mixed in like alfalfa pellet, corn and calf pellets to pick out.
http://simplecountryhome.com/2013/07...-for-chickens/

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 11-14-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #55
SamanthaLove88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I need chicken lady help helllllllp!

So I y'all know I got those sizzles a while back. One was also questionable with it's sex but the other has always looked and acted like a girl....until this morning! The buff "Penny"- I need to change his name (what I think is a boy) has a bright red comb and waddles, he dances around the girls, two long shiny tail feathers and he has now is trying to mate. The other black and white (Panda) this morning did the shimmie/scurry and is being fresh/trying to attack both boys and girls of my flock Could this just be a sign of *it* trying to be dominant or is it a boy indeed? Panda has a light pink comb and tiny waddles if I'd even call them that, also no shiny or long tail feathers. Y'all make the call...here they are...

Penny (boy?)

(comb and waddles are now BRIGHT RED)
Kind of an older photo of Panda but he/she does NOT cooperate at picture taking...Girl? Boy?

This is her...NOT cooperating...her comb and tiny waddles are light pink
Old 11-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #56
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Yep "penny" is def. a boy. I would say the jury's still out on Panda based on that photo. I would think girl unless you saw def. mating behavior. Those fancies are so hard to sex!

ETA: Where's Sarah? LOL she's good at figuring these out, she sexed my bantams at a week or so old correctly when I was doubting. LOL.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 11-14-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #57
roseyroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Sorry! My mind is alive with questions this morning! have 15 four month olds ( 4 are Banty sized,) then the 4 silkies (6 months) , 2 banties that are 7 months. Total of 25 . ( 10 of which are bantie sized tho) these share the large coop. They free range when I'm at home . So 80% of the time. My big girls share the smaller coop (to sleep in) free range 80% of the time at least. There are 10 girls and Banty roo in there. All 7 to 8 months old. Their pellets last forever in there. I have to shut the big coop door when they are out to keep the big girls from eating the grower. But the littles can wipe it out without help. It's a 12 lb hanging feeder. If I fill it it's gone within a day and a half. I don't know why but 13% is stuck in my head but it's probably the 18% I will check when I buy ,I don't have the bag anymore. As far as pasture or growing outdoors ... I have a small garden plot that doesn't do great here in the woods. it does get better sun in winter . Is be willing to plant something though. Suggestions? We have a pasture. The chickens don't roam that far , which I'm glad as the hawks patrol it all day. I understand there is a learning curve to the sprouted grains and typically I don't have a knack for indoor plants but can usually grow anything if given a lil dirt outside. But, I have to at least give it a shot . is there a grain you recommend starting with for whatever reason? I was thinking of those big throwaway oven pans that you can get in a bunch at SAMs. The lid could be used to catch the water .... Unless foil is a bad idea? We have atwoods and TSC can I find a grain that u can use for sprouting there?

Last edited by roseyroberts; 11-14-2013 at 02:19 PM.
roseyroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #58
Squeaky McMurdo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Barley is very easy to sprout, if my goats knock any out of reach it will grow without my help given a few warm sunny days.

Here's a good reference

Mother Earth News

My ISO/IHA I'm looking for a Cosco Pronto cover in "Cars" preferably.
Squeaky McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #59
roseyroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky McMurdo
Barley is very easy to sprout, if my goats knock any out of reach it will grow without my help given a few warm sunny days. Here's a good reference Mother Earth News
Great reference ! Thanks!
Old 11-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #60
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Sorry! My mind is alive with questions this morning! have 15 four month olds ( 4 are Banty sized,) then the 4 silkies (6 months) , 2 banties that are 7 months. Total of 25 . ( 10 of which are bantie sized tho) these share the large coop. They free range when I'm at home . So 80% of the time. My big girls share the smaller coop (to sleep in) free range 80% of the time at least. There are 10 girls and Banty roo in there. All 7 to 8 months old. Their pellets last forever in there. I have to shut the big coop door when they are out to keep the big girls from eating the grower. But the littles can wipe it out without help. It's a 12 lb hanging feeder. If I fill it it's gone within a day and a half. I don't know why but 13% is stuck in my head but it's probably the 18% I will check when I buy ,I don't have the bag anymore.

As far as pasture or growing outdoors ... I have a small garden plot that doesn't do great here in the woods. Tho it gets better sun in winter . Is be willing to plant something though. Suggestions? We have a pasture. The chickens don't roam that far though , which I'm glad as the hawks patrol it all day.

I understand there is a learning curve to the sprouted grains and typically I don't have a knack for indoor plants but can usually grow anything if given a lil dirt outside. But, I have to at least give it a shot . is there a grain you recommend starting with for whatever reason? I was thinking of those big throwaway oven pans that you can get in a bunch at SAMs. The lid could be used to catch the water .... Unless foil is a bad idea?
We have atwoods and TSC can I find a grain that u can use for sprouting there?
So you have 10 bantams and 11 standards for a total of 21 birds, not 25 right? What I read was a standard eats approximately 1/4 lb of food a day. So my chickens alone should be plowing through 165lbs of dry feed a month but I guarantee you they aren't and that's not even including the turk's feed.

My two bantams eat about 1 full 8 oz cup of wet feed every day, so I would guess that works out to something about 3 oz dry feed a day so let's assume your bantams eat half of what a standard does (at adult weight). You should be going thru about 4lbs and a couple oz of food a day. Your feeder when filled to the top should last 3 days. So firstly I would make sure they are getting a 18% feed. Then make sure you don't have mice, squirrels or wild birds eating up your feed. Mice are the most common problem. Then you can start up a fodder system to try to slow down the feed bill a bit, but once you've got a mat for them to eat I would strongly suggest removing the feeder at night so that they don't fill up on that before you come out in the morning with the fodder or they will be less willing to try it or eat much of it. My girls took a few days before they were really gung-ho about it. At first they ate a few sprouts and then looked at me like ok that was a good appetizer where's the grub?

Something you could consider for your garden plot that would benefit both your garden AND the chickens is a cover crop. I'm doing red clover on mine, but winter rye is also a good one for fall. If you have tall grasses in your pasture, you could go out in the morning when the grass is still fresh and cut a bunch for them to eat, and any time you mow the field it's good to offer cuttings to the chickens.

Generally speaking, the 3 most common and inexpensive grains to sprout are wheat, barley and oats in that order for ease of growing. There are blends out there but they are very pricey. Barley is the most nutritious. You want something that is labeled reclaimed, whole. Never the field growing seed because that is treated and could poison your birds. I don't have a TSC here yet but I'm told they do have it. Look carefully and avoid any bags that have weevils in them as that ruins the seed for sprouting, obviously.

I don't recommend those foil pans, that's what I started with. The problem is that with several lbs of wet seed in them they are flimsy and will crumple up while you're trying to rinse. You also can't see the roots to see if there's extra water in there. I bought 2 packs of Rubbermaid takealong containers, but those are $4 a set so not the very cheapest option. I have heard of people having good luck finding clear plastic shoebox type containers at dollar stores for this purpose, or cheap kitty litter trays. If you have them, black garden sprouting trays- the thick ones. You will have to poke holes in the bottoms of whatever you pick so the water drains out. Don't use a drill. Find a awl or a ice pick and use that. The drill will just crack the tray.

now that I've rambled on for another chapter... LOL lmk if there's anything else I can help with!