Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2013, 04:16 AM   #1
Beaners_Mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My DS was born on the 11th. We had some issues in the hospital, he lost 13 ounces and my milk took 5 days to come in. He's pooping and peeing just fine now, plenty of diapers, so my supply isn't the issue I think. It's just that he takes forever to nurse. I'm wondering if we are doing something wrong. He's been nursing for over 3 hours tonight and still screaming like he's hungry. He's getting milk, I can see it in his mouth, so that's not an issue either.

The problem is every time he nurses I'm looking at at least 2 hours to make him happy. That would be fine, if I didn't have to sleep or take care of my 5 1/2 year old or do any chores around my house...or do anything else really. He sleeps anywhere from 1 1/2 hours at a time to 3 hours (if I'm lucky). I just don't know how much longer I can function on 3 hours at night and maybe a 2 hour nap during the day.

I was reading online and they said a latch issue *might* be a reason why they nurse so long? I nursed my DD until she was almost 2, so the whole nursing thing isn't new to me. Someone tell me there's something I can fix because spending 3 hours at the breast every single time is going to drive me crazy from lack of sleep soon.

Advertisement

Last edited by Beaners_Mom; 12-20-2013 at 04:19 AM.
Beaners_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:46 AM   #2
kanga1622
Registered Users

I don't have any ideas but wanted to sympathize. DS1 took a minimum of 45 min to nurse and cluster fed in the evenings for 3+ hours. He had a HUGE sucking need so I introduced a paci at about 3 weeks so I could heal and get a little break between sessions.

Has he been checked for lip/tongue ties? I think those make it more difficult to transfer milk which would mean longer sessions to feel full.

I wish you luck and hope this is just a newbie adjusting to the world stage.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 12-20-2013, 04:50 AM   #3
Beaners_Mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanga1622
I don't have any ideas but wanted to sympathize. DS1 took a minimum of 45 min to nurse and cluster fed in the evenings for 3+ hours. He had a HUGE sucking need so I introduced a paci at about 3 weeks so I could heal and get a little break between sessions.

Has he been checked for lip/tongue ties? I think those make it more difficult to transfer milk which would mean longer sessions to feel full.

I wish you luck and hope this is just a newbie adjusting to the world stage.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
I haven't had him checked for those. How would I know if it was an issue? He has an appointment with his Pediatrician on the 30th. He takes a pacie sometimes. There are just times where I have to have a break...my DD needs help, the dog needs walked, dinner needs started, etc.

I hope it's just a stage too...in the hospital they told me 20 minutes at each breast and I wanted to laugh.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:13 AM   #4
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Slow nurser? Help??

He could be catching up for lost time. The time you were without milk and he lost weight.

He might also be comfort nursing.

Or he might have reflux. My youngest was constantly nursing. I found out later he had reflux. I strongly think the 2 were linked. When he would nurse it would push the milk and acid back down making him feel better.

It could be many different things. Can you learn to baby wear and nurse so you can get things done and spend time with your older child?
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:16 AM   #5
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

One of my girls is a slow nurser (the other has a super-strong suck & is done in 10 min) & it drives me nuts. It takes 30+ min to feed her & she frequently cluster feeds in the evening, as well as just "playing"/comfort nursing & not really transfering milk. She doesn't have any ties or other issues that I know of, but thereis some good info online about spotting ties--my fast nurser has a lip tie--& ask the pedi, LC, NP, etc to confirm. ENTs & dentists frequently do the correction. TBH, I sometimes just get touched out at the double nursing & long sessions...I'll do some compressions to make sure she gets enough & then take her off my breast, or nurse her for a reasonable amount of time & supplement with some pumped milk. There's something to be said for it, though, b/c she's gaining weight like gangbusters, while the other twin is gaining but much more slowly.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:19 AM   #6
AmandaHW
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My first son did this, turns out he did have a tongue tie. After that got fixed, things did get better. I would suggest getting to a LC now...not waiting until the 30th and see if they can watch him nurse and take a look at his tongue. He never ended up being a "fast" nurser but at least they weren't marathon sessions. He also had reflux, so that could have contributed as well.