Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

Introducing the Bottle Late

My son turned 2 months on the 1st and I really want to get him used to a bottle (of pumped milk anyway). I know I'm introducing it a little late but I am determined to get him to take one. I tried giving him on on Wednesday last week but he just kind of sat there with it in his mouth and didn't suck or react and sometimes he gagged a little. So what are some tips to getting him to accept one at this point? How often should I pump and give him a bottle if I am to be successful?
Ds1 would never take one, he wouldn't even take milk out of a sippy cup when he was older (not sure if that has anything to do with it). I just really want this one to be able to take one.

Advertisement

Old 12-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

My daughter completely refused from 2 months until 6 months when we hired a nanny. She miraculously was able to get her to take a Tommee Tippee as long as the milk was VERY warm (probably even warmer than it is from the tap) and she was in the Ergo. That's what worked for our family. I hope you find something that works for yours!
MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
mtnlazuli
Registered Users
seller

Re: Introducing the Bottle Late

Mine has pretty much rejected the bottle from daddy, as well. She had the bottle in the NICU, but once home after 2.5 weeks, had no bottle for a three months until I started working in the evenings. That was September. Now she still fights the bottle. I hear she took it well during the daytime once, but usually she pitches a fit and spits up what little she drinks.

If you need him to get used to it, try keeping it as part of your daily routine and hopefully that will help. This was what our doctor suggested, but BFing was so much easier that we didn't do that!
mtnlazuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
mariposablue
Registered Users
seller

I don't have the answer for you. A routine is best. DS got a few bottles of EBM in the hospital. A week later DH tried to give him one at home and it was a struggle. We tried every few days after that for it to be normal. If you can try more regularly and when he's hungry it may work. Also, look up "paced bottle feeding" video. DH uses that with our son and I used it with my nephew when he was about 4 months and my sister was going back to work and he hadn't had a bottle yet. It took some coaxing but he did take it (that was after my mother tried the old-fashioned way for about 30 min.)
Old 12-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
gracefuljack
Registered Users

Every baby is different with the bottle, my first wouldn't take a bottle or Sippy cup. He went from breastfeeding to a cup & straw at 8 months. He's also a strong willed child in every stage. The only way we got him on solids was my husband was the only one home for 6 hours and he finally got hungry enough (at 9 months).

My daughter was introduced to the bottle at 4 months and took it from grandma with no issues.
gracefuljack is offline   Reply With Quote