Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
Registered Users
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 968
My Mood:
My first natural birth!

I know I'm not the only one who stalks this page, so here is the birth story of my little guy, born on December 10th.
My first birth was 40 hours and extremely traumatic and included an ECV to turn my breech baby, foley bulb, pitocin, an epidural the last 6 hours, 3 hours of pushing with vacuum assist and a midline episiotomy and then being separated from my baby for 4 hours.
This time I was a little nervous going in. I had been having tons of Braxton hicks for weeks and the 7th I noticed I had some that were more intense. Nothing serious, just noticeably more intense. I had spent my entire week in major nesting mode and spent Friday and Saturday wiped out, napping whenever possible and vegging on the couch in between. And I wasn't very hungry all weekend either. Sunday continued more of the same and I remember feeling pretty much over pregnancy. I had my 38 week appointment on Monday morning and was surprised to find that I was 3-4 cm dilated, 80% effaced and my waters were bulging. My midwife thought I would probably have the baby that week so she went ahead and stripped my membranes to stir things up a little. I went to the grocery and headed home to clean up the house and do a up all the laundry. I felt pressure and more frequent and intense contractions the rest of the day. By the time I went to bed at 11 they had organized themselves into every 7-8 minutes. I woke up at 1:30am to contractions 4 minutes apart and I couldn't sleep through them, so I got up and ate something. I spent the rest of the night bouncing on my ball, pacing the floor and trying to rest. I also put DS back to bed at 4 and then snuggled him for a while when he woke up at 6. Around that time I told DH that we would be making a trip to the hospital in a few hours if things continued. My contractions continued to become more intense and painful all this time. At 7am I called my midwife and my mom to let them know what was going on. My mil took off work and headed our way to take care of DS and we started getting ready to go. It happened to be snowing a lot and the roads were bad for mil, so it took her 2 1/2 hours to get there (usually an hour and 15 minutes). In the mean time contractions were still 4 minutes apart and I was leaning on things and swaying through them. I did get to eat some cereal for breakfast. We got to the midwife's office at 10:30am and she checked me. I had only made slight progress in dilating, I was definitely 4cm instead of 3-4. But my midwife was confident I was in early labor. She suggested I go walk somewhere, either a store or the hospital. I didn't really want to work through contractions in Walmart, so we headed for the hospital instead, planning to get checked in and then walk the halls. Once at the hospital, I called my mom to let her know so she could get on the road, since she was supposed to be my birth support, but everyone thought we had plenty of time. My contractions did pick up some at this time. My nurses came in and started my baseline monitoring, bloodwork, IV, antibiotics and paperwork. By the time all that was done it was 12:45, they checked me and I was 5cm and 100% effaced. Making progress but we thought we had several hours to go, I prepared myself for a long labor. Contractions started to really pick up once I got back on my feet. I never left the room though, just pacing and leaning on stuff through contractions. I had DH squeezing my hips during contractions because they really hurt at this time. At 1:30 I begged to get in the tub, so they filled it up. I got in as soon as I could and could instantly feel myself relax. That lasted through 2-3 contractions and then they picked intensified. I had to start vocalizing through contractions, DH actually made fun of my noises and I laughed in between contractions at his jokes, I knew I sounded funny. They came in between 2:15 and 2:30 to tell me that my midwife would come over around 3:30 or 4 to break my water, they just had to wait until I had the antibiotics long enough. I remember explaining to DH what the pros and cons of breaking my water was. Shortly after that I hit transition, I think around 2:40. Contractions were non stop, no breaks in between and I was yelling through them, not screaming, but yelling. My DH got me a cool rag for my face and was being really sweet and helpful, and I just kept telling him to shut up. I was also yelling "I'm done! I'm done! I'm done!......" Non stop, lol, and saying I couldn't do it anymore and I didn't want to do it and demanded an epidural. DH called the nurse and they came in at 3pm. They got me out of the tub to check me and told me they would get my IV fluids started for the epi, but that I might be close to pushing and it might be too late. I made it to the bed and started throwing up. Once I was able to lay down, she checked me and I was 9cm. Minutes later I felt the need to push and said so, my midwife was walking in the door at that moment and told me to go with it if that's what I was feeling. She came over and checked me and I was 10cm, she broke my water and I immediately was pushing full force. It was crazy and intense and everyone was rushing around getting things ready. I pushed through about 3 contractions and he was here at 3:21pm. My mom missed the whole thing by 10 minutes, lol. The ring of fire was awful, and I can't say pushing felt any better than labor, but it went really fast. He came out screaming! I only had to have 2 stitches from tearing and my hemorrhoids didn't even flair up! He latched on to nurse within 20 minutes and was a pro! I had skin to skin for about 1 1/2 hours before they started getting us ready to move to a room. It was amazing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1913073961.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	159514


momEmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
melyndie's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,018
Awww that is such a great story! I'm so glad you had a good birth experience this second time around. I had a 40-hour first labor too similar to yours and a much, much better second birth, so I sure can relate!

Great job on doing it all natural! You're strong and amazing!
Wife to my supportive DH and WAHM to DD Nora (06/10), DS Emerson (07/12), and baby #5 (due 5/16) and my precious babies in heaven: Bennet (died 8/15 at 12 months) and Lucy (miscarried 7/15).
melyndie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #3
Registered Users
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 904
My Mood:
What a great birth story!

I hope my labor goes at fast!
evamyster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
JasmineMama's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,080
My Mood:
Re: My first natural birth!

Great birth! It really sounds like you and your LO rocked it. I, too, have never found the pushing part to bring any relief. In fact, I rate that as my least favorite part.
Mr. Man (8/09) , Little guy (6/11) and my little girl (1/14) missing my little beans (10/12) (03/13)
JasmineMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
HLStrath's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 111
Re: My first natural birth!

Congrats mama! Inspiring story!
HLStrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
Registered Users
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: usa
Posts: 15,301
Re: My first natural birth!

Awesome and congratulations
Join me making money doing the following: shopkick, Swagbucks, fronto unlock screen , Perk and Perk unlock screen, receipthog,1Q, Free Eats, panel app, qmee, bzzagent, slidejoy unlock screen, smiley360, adme unlock screen, Rewardrack, Snap by Groupon, reviewsio, swaggable, checkpoints referral name: jmnhuisman, pinchme referral code: 54K7J, lootpalace, shopalong , drizzle sms - clock, yerdle, send Earnings, yaarlo referral code JESSA398, ibotta, BrowseU, survey cow unlock referral code is8513604729
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
evasimone's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,010
Re: My first natural birth!

E, wife to my rock, S 2009
Mama to DD 1/13
evasimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #8
Sarah-B's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,709
Great job! And what an inspiration you are! I had a epi at a 9 my 1st birth & am now preg with #2 & really want to go med free this next time. Reading this is very encouraging!!
Congrats your baby is beautiful!
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #9
No Longer Here
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 21,960
My Mood:
Re: My first natural birth!

aww congrats!
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:05 AM   #10
gypsipixi's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 38
congrats momma!
gypsipixi is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC. All Rights Reserved.