Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Re: Large Family mommas who CD. What did you love for cding?

I used mostly fitteds and Bummis covers, both the nylon pull on and the super brite Velcro style, when he was smaller. Then I had medium FB that he used from about five months to two or two and a half. I also used fitteds and prefolds on him during that time too, especially at home. I used a lot of wool and also the Bummis covers and one Thirsties cover over the fitteds and prefolds. I made my own fitteds and wool covers, so can't recommend brands. After two and a half he used mostly fitteds with wool or the pull on nylon covers and we had a few large FB. That worked until a week before he was three when he declared he was done wearing diapers and wanted Batman underwear!! Easiest potty learner ever.

This time I still have a variety of diapers, everything from flats to AIOs. I plan on using the fitteds, flats, and prefolds left from the last one most of the time and some aio's that I've made recently for going out. Then when he gets bigger he can use the medium FB, prefolds, and fitteds. I don't think I'm much help, since I like, and use, such a variety!!

Advertisement

Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)

Last edited by mommyfrog; 12-27-2013 at 08:55 AM.
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #12
Icryinbaseball
Registered Users

My favorite prefolds was Little lions seconds. My favorite fitteds were Muttaquins. My favorite pockets were Assunta store. My favorite PUL covers for the prefolds and fitteds were Thirsties. My favorite inserts for pockets were Blueberries seconds.
Icryinbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #13
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmmm. I've CD'd 8 children, up to 4 at one time (well, 5 at night!) and I've been through all the types. My short answer is KEEP IT SIMPLE. But the reality for me has been to use whatever works for each child AND your washing conditions. So for a while we used whatever I wanted to try when I got started with a newborn and toddler; then we moved and the water here is...challenging. Even for flats the only thing that will get them clean is Tide, yet various children have had struggles with skin sensitivities, primarily eczema and we've had to switch things up to suit their needs. The biggest challenge has been trying to cater to the skin issues while still getting the dipes clean--one child can handle certain detergents while another cannot, etc.

For multiple children in cloth, I've used the same flats on all of them with one batch of kids, then with another I was leery of the possibility of sharing icky skin things and preferred to keep things separate, so I had 2 dirty pails going as well as different sized (or brands for color diff) prefolds so I could keep them separate. This was while fostering.

I love the trimmer options so that I can hold a baby rather than a big diaper butt. A flat pad folded in a flip cover is my favorite all around combo for washability, trimness, affordability, versatility. This does not work for my 15 month old super sensitive, super heavy wetter!

And I prefer organic if I'm buying new, so that limits options. My favorite newborn (most of mine have been preemie sized) dipe is a gerber flat. Double it when needed. As much as I want to get some more of those for this upcoming baby, they are not organic so I couldn't bring myself to buy some (my old ones are gone) so we'll be doing prefolds (GMD organic in newborn and preemie) which worked fine for the last couple babes but weren't my favorite for the bulk when they're sooo tiny.

I love the look of BG pockets, but I do think they're icky. I love most everything about prefolds except the bulk. I do love everything about flats except folding out of the wash, so if I could just bring myself to leave them heaped in a basket I'd be good with those! (Oh and I am a leave-it-heaped-in-a-basket type of girl...except the diapers. Why is that?)
Old 12-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #14
fishingfor5
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Awesome info ladies!! I have been looking into some trial packages and there is one from Nicki's I think we may try out. It looks like it will give me several varieties to choose from! Also, I am starting to stalk the FSOT threads. Thank you so very very much.

blessings
Blessings from -Tori (42)wife to the amazing Dan(41) for 21yrs. Mom to the Fab 5, DS22, DS18, DS12, DD10, and DD2 Homeschooling, BFing, new to CDing, Not so good at Vaxing, SAHM 5 ^0^ resting with the Father till we meet again Joyfully snuggling our newest son born February 9 2014.
fishingfor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:52 AM   #15
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Not a mom of many yet, but I dream of it.

Anyway I just wanted to say that I must have tried every system under the sun and to me the best are closureless pre-fitted diapers, GMD workhorse, Diaper Rites or Tinkle Traps.... I think there is another brand out there but I haven't tried it yet. The fit is perfect everytime when you use a snappi and for covers I LOVE Imse Vimse Organic cotton wrap or Bumpy White Wrap. They're both velcro and there is just something so satisfying about soft classic white diaper covers. We use Tinkle Traps with extra layers sewn in for night time and Imse Vimse Wool Wrap for nighttime. Anyway its such a simple system, and it makes me so happy so I had to share.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #16
fishingfor5
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerpeachee View Post
Not a mom of many yet, but I dream of it.

Anyway I just wanted to say that I must have tried every system under the sun and to me the best are closureless pre-fitted diapers, GMD workhorse, Diaper Rites or Tinkle Traps.... I think there is another brand out there but I haven't tried it yet. The fit is perfect everytime when you use a snappi and for covers I LOVE Imse Vimse Organic cotton wrap or Bumpy White Wrap. They're both velcro and there is just something so satisfying about soft classic white diaper covers. We use Tinkle Traps with extra layers sewn in for night time and Imse Vimse Wool Wrap for nighttime. Anyway its such a simple system, and it makes me so happy so I had to share.
Thank you Mae! That gives me a few new ones to look into. Never heard of the Bumpy white wrap or Tinkle traps.

Does anyone have any Fleece covers they love??
Blessings from -Tori (42)wife to the amazing Dan(41) for 21yrs. Mom to the Fab 5, DS22, DS18, DS12, DD10, and DD2 Homeschooling, BFing, new to CDing, Not so good at Vaxing, SAHM 5 ^0^ resting with the Father till we meet again Joyfully snuggling our newest son born February 9 2014.
fishingfor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:50 AM   #17
3peasinapod
Registered Users
seller

We have 5 girls (ages 8 - 18 months) and expecting a boy in late Feb/early March. I've CD since my second. I think I've used a bit everything. I like flats...the only problem is that with 5 kids there is a lot of laundry!! I don't have the time or patience to fold them anymore and the older girls don't quite have the knack for it either. My first favorite is the GroVia prefolds size 2 since they can be snappied on an newborn and than trifolded into a Grovia (hook and loop or snap) shell as they grow. They hold a ton of pee for my 18 month old when she drinks two large cups of water. They wash up well, dry fast in the drier, and fold easily. My second favorite - the BG Elementals (original style). I just wash them, hang them to dry, and my DH who hates changing diapers will even gladly use them. Even though they are one size snaps they are easy to put on and the rise snaps don't pop open for my like on Thirsties or Capris. I find sticking with natural fibers, avoiding synthetic pockets, and streamlining everything makes it easy. I always keep a few night diapers too. Usually a GroVia size 3 prefold in a sized aplix cover.

Last edited by 3peasinapod; 01-05-2014 at 06:55 AM.
3peasinapod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:33 PM   #18
melula
Registered Users
seller

diaper sprayer and a can next to the commode is a must. Wet bag hung on the changing table makes it easy. We use pre-folds at home and pockets at the sitter. We had a daughter and now twin boys. The boys wear pink well!
melula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #19
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've been cd for almost 8 years now- ACK! I just recently gave in and have been using sposies for about 6 weeks due to holiday busyness. I love prefolds and covers because of the ease of washing, excellent absorbancy, and ease of use. Dh has no problem trifolding a pf in a cover and I'm able to pin or snappi if I want to use a wool cover.

www.assuntastore.com has GREAT covers for only $5. You can get tiny size (newborn to maybe 12-15 lb) and regular 1 size for 10+ lbs. They are really nice covers. I like both diaper rite and cottonbabies prefolds. I have used GMD but found them to be slightly less soft than my others and they got hole-y quicker so I won't spend extra on them again.

Dh and I both like an XL wetbag instead of a diaper pail. I love Eli's wip-ez for wipes here on DS in WAHM wares. I just use a foamer bottle with Dr. Bronner's lavender soap and water with a bit of witch hazel. 3 travel wetbags. That's it, really. I've never had a diaper sprayer, but if I have another baby, I will get one.

So, if I have a 5th, it will be:

30 dr or cottonbaby infant or small pf's
8 tiny covers (assuntastore)

28 premium or large pf's
8 one size assuntastore covers

12 small doublers

2 xl wetbags
3 travel wetbags

20 eli's wip-ez in velour/ velour

diaper sprayer

That's it. Simple is best for us, with such a busy household already.
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #20
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've been cd for almost 8 years now- ACK! I just recently gave in and have been using sposies for about 6 weeks due to holiday busyness. I love prefolds and covers because of the ease of washing, excellent absorbancy, and ease of use. Dh has no problem trifolding a pf in a cover and I'm able to pin or snappi if I want to use a wool cover.

www.assuntastore.com has GREAT covers for only $5. You can get tiny size (newborn to maybe 12-15 lb) and regular 1 size for 10+ lbs. They are really nice covers. I like both diaper rite and cottonbabies prefolds. I have used GMD but found them to be slightly less soft than my others and they got hole-y quicker so I won't spend extra on them again.

Dh and I both like an XL wetbag instead of a diaper pail. I love Eli's wip-ez for wipes here on DS in WAHM wares. I just use a foamer bottle with Dr. Bronner's lavender soap and water with a bit of witch hazel. 3 travel wetbags. That's it, really. I've never had a diaper sprayer, but if I have another baby, I will get one.

So, if I have a 5th, it will be:

30 dr or cottonbaby infant or small pf's
8 tiny covers (assuntastore)

28 premium or large pf's
8 one size assuntastore covers

12 small doublers

2 xl wetbags
3 travel wetbags

20 eli's wip-ez in velour/ velour

diaper sprayer

That's it. Simple is best for us, with such a busy household already.
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote