Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2007, 01:44 PM   #11
pernillep
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me Please - my freezer stash is gone

I just had a funny visual of me pumping on the CTA (Public transit in Chicago) No driving for me.

I think I am going to put another slot on the room so I can get a pumping session in right when I arrive in the mornings. That is usually 2 hours since DS ate. Also, I have a friend who just returned so we have been able to switch times a little.

I like the idea of having the electric pump at home. Maybe I will break down and buy the attachments for the pump in the lactation room. I just can't carry mine home on a regular basis. I am already lugging milk and my laptop everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
many (most?) women need to pump an additional session or 2 to keep up w/their little one's needs bc baby is almost always more efficient than the pump.

I suggest adding a pump session or 2 at home. or you could pump on your commute.

Advertisement

Last edited by pernillep; 09-05-2007 at 01:54 PM.
pernillep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:07 PM   #12
nilennovy
Registered Users
seller

Can you get an electric pump? You mentioned you only had a manual one. Maybe a good electric double pump would save time and build up more stash?
nilennovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:14 PM   #13
kclarkadpi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When you pump during the day.....

You said you pump until you're empty. At that point, instead of stopping pumping, initiate another letdown (you can have several letdowns in a nursing session). To do this, switch to short, quick, shallow pumps (maybe 1-2 per second) for a few minutes. Even when milk starts to come back out, still keep up the short, quick, shallow pumps until it is flowing well, then switch back to the longer (2-3 second) pumps. I find this easier to do with a manual setting....

Once you start doing that, you'll be able to pump more each session, b/c your body will "realize" that the "baby" (aka, your pump) is drinking more. It may take an extra 5-7 minutes to do this at first, but after many days, it'll regulate. Also, make sure that you're nursing or pumping at these times on the days your off. If your baby doesn't drink that much during this time on your off days, pull out the pump and finish it off.

Hope this helps!

Kelly
Love 'em, but my fav. quote "You've never been in love unless you've contemplated where to hide the body". Haha!
kclarkadpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:20 PM   #14
pernillep
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have an electric that i use at the office since that has been my primary place for pumping. At home I use a manual if I need to pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilennovy View Post
Can you get an electric pump? You mentioned you only had a manual one. Maybe a good electric double pump would save time and build up more stash?
Old 09-05-2007, 02:22 PM   #15
hackermd
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilennovy View Post
I'd do this along with what others have said... if you're planning on having more children, it would be a good investment.

The only thing that immediately comes to mind is to DRINK LOTS OF WATER!

Fenugreek is great, mothers milk is great... keeping yourself hydrated for a good pump session is key. As someone has already said above, an extra pump session in your long day would greatly help.

GL MAMA... sending you a
hackermd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:27 PM   #16
AlexandZoesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A friend recommended to me that I pump on one side while my little guy nurses on the other. Took some practice to hold onto everything but it seems to work well for us now to supplement our stash. I seem to get more when he is also nursing.

Hope that helps!