Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2014, 07:34 AM   #1
beckyaw1982
Registered Users

Detergents

Hello All! I am just about to prep all of my diapers and finding it hard to settle on a detergent that will work. I have a combination of TotsBots, BG, Twinkie Tush, Goodmama, BSRB, GMD, Thirsties, SBish, Blueberry, GroVia, and Kissas. I was going to go with Tide Original Powder but hearing mixed reviews. My nearest "baby" store is 3 hours ago and have no "all-natural" stores for miles to come, so it has to be something that I can get locally at Target. So what will clean all of these diapers and not make then stinky? TIA (I am a new mom to be with our first child)!

Advertisement

beckyaw1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:57 AM   #2
Jcurrie
Registered Users
seller

We use regular tide powder up to line 2 for days worth of diapers. This is what has worked for us for over a year with hard water and a FLer. I do need to do a cold quick wash last to rinse out all the detergent, but if I use less detergent I get stink.

If you bought new then be aware that tide will void the warranty on some diapers (while some companies recommend it). Check specific company websites for that info though. To me clean diapers and a rash free baby was more important than a warranty.
Jcurrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:13 AM   #3
mrsmccullen07
Registered Users
seller

Re: Detergents

Been CDing 6 years and I tried all the "recommended" detergent and it was a horrible experience. I now use and love Tide (and I am ALLERGIC to Tide but it works the best so I just deal with that)

mrsmccullen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcurrie
We use regular tide powder up to line 2 for days worth of diapers. This is what has worked for us for over a year with hard water and a FLer. I do need to do a cold quick wash last to rinse out all the detergent, but if I use less detergent I get stink. If you bought new then be aware that tide will void the warranty on some diapers (while some companies recommend it). Check specific company websites for that info though. To me clean diapers and a rash free baby was more important than a warranty.
I always think about this... How is the company going to know what type of detergent you use unless you tell them?
yogamama28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmccullen07 View Post
Been CDing 6 years and I tried all the "recommended" detergent and it was a horrible experience. I now use and love Tide (and I am ALLERGIC to Tide but it works the best so I just deal with that)
This except I use Arm and Hammer or All. i use the recommended amount to clean diapers that are saturated in human waste. No stink, no ammonia, no build up EVER in over 4 years of cloth diapering once I stopped with the "CD safe detergents that said use 2Tbsp for a full load"
Old 02-12-2014, 09:52 AM   #6
ijgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Like others have said, I too tried "safe" detergents, but the only one that has worked consistently in the various places we have lived (including overseas in an extremely hard water area) was Tide powder. We've moved again and now I have a fl, so I am using the liquid. But I'm pretty sure I will be switching back to the powder when I go back to the store.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #7
bobbs7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mainstream detergent is the way to go! We use Tide powder and have never had problems. Use whatever you would like.
'ing,'ing, part-time working out of the house, full-time in the house, mom-mom to Jackson Philip 11/28/09 , Levi Garrett 5/18/12 , and Aria Joye 4/16/14, and wife to my best friend and male clone Matthew since 10/6/06.

~forever thankful to have been saved by Grace~
bobbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
BirthdayMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd start with whatever you know works on your regular laundry. Water quality varies so much that there's no real way to tell without trying it yourself. What works for me with our ridiculously soft water may not work for you.

But FWIW, Tide is the only thing that has consistently worked for us. And only powder. The liquid just refuses to rinse out.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #9
Jcurrie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogamama28
I always think about this... How is the company going to know what type of detergent you use unless you tell them?
Haha ya I wonder the same thing
Jcurrie is online now   Reply With Quote