Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2014, 11:23 AM   #1
Krissycola89
Registered Users

Question Tell me about CDing a BF newborn! Need advice for stash building!

Hello everyone. I only started cloth diapering after my current youngest was already an older baby so I have never cloth diapered a newborn. Now I'm having a surprise baby number 3. (DH apparently becomes careless on NYE after drinking Jose Cuervo ) I plan on exclusively breastfeeding for the first 6 months except for the occasional formula bottle. Definitely not planning on using any solid food though until LO who is in utero is 6 months in age. What diaper type would you recommend for the first 6 months and why? I would love to hear all the pros and cons to the different types. For reference, I used a combination of AIOs, AI2s, pockets, and fitteds with DD so I am familiar with most types of diapers. I just know NBs need changed a lot more often than an older baby and newborn baby poop is a lot different than after they start eating solids so I kind of feel like a cloth diaper newbie now. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Krissycola89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:21 PM   #2
saturn
Registered Users

Re: Tell me about CDing a BF newborn! Need advice for stash building!

For EBF poop containment, I think fitteds & covers work best for the simple reason that you have two separate layers of leg and waist elastic holding things in. Don't need to be fancy fitteds, pre-fitteds like GMD workhorse work great.
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #3
krissyc
Registered Users
seller

I found myself using my nb AIOs quite a bit for the first while. I tried flats with covers but you have to have tons if covers for the first little while with EBF babies because it gets on the cover a lot. As much as in hate to say it, I'd avoid wool.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:21 PM   #4
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love NB prefolds fastened with a snappi and a cover. I used prowrap covers. Easy to use, easy to wash.

EBF poop washes right out.

I did have a few Mini OS pockets--happy heiny, blueberry, Alva
Old 02-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #5
thedivinefemme
Registered Users

My DD is 7 weeks old tomorrow, and so far we're liking fitteds more than anything. They really contain all of the explosive poo, lol. We're using Sandy's Motherease and GMD workhorses.
thedivinefemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #6
Krissycola89
Registered Users

Thanks so much for all the advise. I'm still debating but I think I "may" end up making a combination stash of different things to try. I think I may even be brave enough to finally try a prefold, which I have never done before. lol. I showed DH a video of someone folding a prefold and it didn't look as hard as I had thought it would. I do have 2 more questions though. Does the NB poop come out easy from AIOs as well? I know AIOs were always harder for me to clean than fitteds when DD was still in diapers is why I'm curious. Also, do one size ever work for newborns? I tried an itti bitti tutto on a one month old baby last year and it fit well but he wasn't exactly newborn sized anymore at that time. Thanks again!
Krissycola89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #7
AliciaTheClothMama
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had 2 dozen OsoCozy Better Fit newborn prefolds (purple edge-stitching), 4 Thirsties Duo Wrap size 1 covers and 2 Tiny Tush x-small covers for my nb. I just trifolded the prefold, placed it in the cover, and snapped the cover on her. Easy peasy. Even my husband could do it. Prefolds wash really easily, don't stink, and didn't give her diaper rash. And they're inexpensive too, because she grew out of the newborn stage so very fast and now we've moved on to red edge-stitched Better Fits and size 2 Thirsties and Blueberry Coverall covers.
AliciaTheClothMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:33 PM   #8
mrsmccullen07
Registered Users
seller

I have cloth diapered 2 newborns and found I did not care for most AIOs and I never even tried pockets (bought some and sold them before baby was born)

My faves were :
Newborn Swaddlebees Simplex
GMD Workhorses (we used smalls from week 2 just folded down)
GMD Prefolds (newborn were essential to us)
Osocozy Flats
Thirsties Duo Size 1

I didn't have issues with the cover getting covered in poop but I jelly-rolled the prefolds/flats and pinned and if we got poop on the cover it was a rare occurence however I am a hoarder and had 24+ PUL covers so it wouldn't have mattered much lol.

mrsmccullen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:03 AM   #9
uscgwifey11
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissycola89
Thanks so much for all the advise. I'm still debating but I think I "may" end up making a combination stash of different things to try. I think I may even be brave enough to finally try a prefold, which I have never done before. lol. I showed DH a video of someone folding a prefold and it didn't look as hard as I had thought it would. I do have 2 more questions though. Does the NB poop come out easy from AIOs as well? I know AIOs were always harder for me to clean than fitteds when DD was still in diapers is why I'm curious. Also, do one size ever work for newborns? I tried an itti bitti tutto on a one month old baby last year and it fit well but he wasn't exactly newborn sized anymore at that time. Thanks again!
Prefolds is all I use. I tried a pocket and ended up with poo all down the front of my shirt. Prefolds and covers all the way. Gussets are a must!! I use bumkins and thirsties covers and gmd prefolds.
uscgwifey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:47 AM   #10
decemberhill
Registered Users

I'm another newbie with the same question. It's great to get so much great advice before baby gets here. (Our son is due in May).

How do you decide on which prefolds and flats to buy? I have a good stash started for NB AIO's but with all the great things I have been reading about prefolds and covers, I know I need some.
decemberhill is offline   Reply With Quote