Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #1
vitoclarke
Registered Users
seller

Thoughts on Gerber Prefolds for NB CD option?

I have been planning to use BG 4.0, elementals, and have a few other randoms for my CD stash but was given a ton of Gerber Prefolds as a gift (I think they just heard "she's using cloth diapers" and bought me those). I did also receive 2 packs of Kushies which I think I can use as doublers, right? I am expecting a larger NB based on family history but if my NB ends up being under 8lb, is it worth it to keep these Gerber Prefolds and try to use them for CD or are they really only good as burp cloths and doublers? I don't have any covers for NB prefolds, so I am also unsure if it would really be worth trying to make this work and also investing in NB Covers or if it would be better to just return these prefolds. I know a lot depends on how fast baby grows...

Anywya, any advice would be great! I LOVE this site. Have learned so much already in just a few days!

Advertisement

vitoclarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
jerri
Registered Users

Re: Thoughts on Gerber Prefolds for NB CD option?

If it is possible for you to return them, I would. If you have other diaper options, don't bother with them. If you don't have other diapering options, they will work if you are in need of them. If you can't return them, I'd set aside half of them and sew a strip of some cute fabric down the center of them and call them changing mats or burp rags. Maybe even sew them and save some for shower gifts for friends.

A 2/02, K 1/05, T 4/07, F 4/09, L 12/11 and...expecting in May 2014
jerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:57 PM   #3
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Gerber prefolds (the premium ones with the poly fill) actually do have a reasonable absorbency to them but they are large. The Gerber Organic ones are great burp cloths but are way less absorbent. The Kushies are similar good absorbency but again they are large in size way larger than a "newborn" or infant prefold.

BTW even if your baby is 8lbs they probably won't fit in OS BG diapers the first week. I was betting on that with my first. He was 8.5lbs at birth. The next day he was still 8.5lbs so he was never really less than that. He didn't fit into OS until his third week. I was scrambling that first week. My daughter was 8lbs and was back up to it by the end of the week. I didn't even try them on her until she was maybe 4weeks and the bulk was horrible. Now at 10 weeks and 11lbs I fill they are doable at least at night. (bg 4.0).

We have some OS covers and they are okay but I still prefer the thirsties duo sz1 that still fit. She is sorta long with a small waist and chubby legs. When I have to pull the excess loop part of the diaper over her leg to pull tabs way to the center it just doesn't work well. (we are all aplix diaps)
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 02-10-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:38 PM   #4
vitoclarke
Registered Users
seller

Thanks!!
Old 02-10-2014, 08:40 PM   #5
Chichidc
Registered Users
seller

We use them as burp cloths and they are xcellent for our mega spitter but I can't imagine them being useful as diapers
Chichidc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:14 PM   #6
cathplyr
Registered Users
seller

gerbers are so useless as diapers. in fact even if you keep them for someething else they fall apart quickly just being washed. they are so awful. I used both the regular and organic.
cathplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:03 PM   #7
vitoclarke
Registered Users
seller

Thanks so much!
Old 02-11-2014, 06:05 PM   #8
carverjill
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Don't return them, they are great burp cloths. I have a lot of the colored ones and think that they have foam in the middle portion to make it look like more layers than it is.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:31 PM   #9
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

I used gerbers for the first few weeks they got the job done i just hated the pilling and I mean crazy balls hanging off the edges lol. But yea got the job done. I ended up takin them apart with my seam ripper and taking out the poly batting and then serging them together two ply to make cleaning rags. I love them without the batting. If yours are from target they will be better less pilly and all cotton. They can always be used for something!! I rarely trash things
greysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:47 PM   #10
uscgwifey11
Registered Users

I actually bought a pack and personally I like them pretty well. I use them at night with a microfiber insert for my son who is a heavy wetter. Working on getting bamboo or hemp inserts.. They are large but I just fold it down in the front where he needs it and it works for us. I don't have pilling like someone mentioned. They wouldn't be my first choice but I do like them. Oh and if it helps he's 2mo and about 10lbs.
uscgwifey11 is offline   Reply With Quote