Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2014, 10:27 PM   #1
eracheld
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Dehydration

I posted this in my Ddc on fb, but thought I'd check here as well.

I've been meaning to ask this for probably 20 weeks now (thanks pregnant brain!), but does pregnancy in general just dehydrate you? I feel like I never can drink enough water. My kidneys frequently have that dull achy feeling, and my urine is always dark and smells strong. I pee all the time though. Like every 10 minutes it feels like. Anyone else have something similar during pregnancy?

Advertisement

Scentsy team!
eracheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:15 PM   #2
avidreader
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dehydration

My urine is super strong too- even on days I'm drinking lots of water/herbal tea. I thought I just wasn't drinking enough as I am not the best at water intake, pregnant or not.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:53 AM   #3
solobluedancer
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would bring that up with your caretaker. Urine like that doesn't sound normal especially if your water intake is good.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:16 AM   #4
peep_erz
Registered Users
seller

I felt that way between 20 and 30weeks pregnant. How much water are you drinking? I thought 2 waterbottles a day would be enough but my doctor said I should be drinking 3 or 4.

Something to think about, while pregnant your blood volume increases about 40%.

Last edited by peep_erz; 01-15-2014 at 10:22 AM. Reason: part of it got deleted.
peep_erz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:02 AM   #5
eracheld
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
So after some labs, turns out I was just dehydrated and have a dilated ureter, which apparently is pretty common in pregnancy. Doctor says I should feel better after delivery, but for now I am drinking an insane amount of water and peeing all the time.

Scentsy team!
eracheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:14 AM   #6
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

A pregnant women or nursing mother needs to drink a minimum of 1 gallon of water a day, which is 16 glasses! I have to get at least half of that before 11am otherwise I pee all night but I have felt so much better in general. The warmer the water the faster your body absorbs it.
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:39 AM   #7
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Because of producing amniotic fluid as well as the increase blood flow you need considerably more intake. This is a good calculator http://nutrition.about.com/library/b...calculator.htm I have to be very careful when expecting because I have a tendency towards low blood pressure anyway and getting even slightly dehydrated makes be feel very faint.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:08 PM   #8
bazil323
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's more like your fluid needs increase, so it's more obvious that you're dehydrated. My midwife said a good guideline is to take your weight and divide by 2 and the result is how many ounces a day you should drink. For example a 140 pound woman should drink at least 70 ounces when pregnant.

The reason is that you are building about 50% more blood volume, providing the fluid for your baby to build its own blood supply, produce amniotic fluid, etc. It's really important to be well hydrated to keep your kidneys healthy and prevent kidney stones or infections as well as keep your baby's kidneys healthy.