Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
Kayc1086
Registered Users
seller

Pregnancy book for first timer??

any suggestions for pregnancy book for a first time mom??? Thanks in advance!!!

Advertisement

Kayc1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:11 PM   #2
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

Re: Pregnancy book for first timer??

The first time I was pregnant, I really liked the What to Expect When You're Expecting book. If you plan to breastfeed, the best book is Womanly Art of Breastfeeding.

A friend gave me a huge book distributed by the Mayo Clinic on pregnancy. It was an excellent reference book and one of my favorites, but I loaned it to a friend and never got it back.

For baby care I liked The Baby Book by Dr. Sears

Mama to 5: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and expecting someone new 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:35 AM   #3
kateroc
Registered Users
seller

Not a book, but my absolute fave weekly pregnancy guide is http://alphamom.com/pregnancy-calendar-overview/
Old 02-26-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
Ola_
Registered Users

I really liked "The complete book of pregnancy and childbirth" by Sheila Kitzinger. It goes through the pregnancy sequentially and explains different things that may happen, what it means, and how to deal with it. Plus it has pictures of a woman getting progressively more pregnant which, with my first, helped me visualize what was coming. LOL

I also liked that it was mom and baby friendly with a more natural approach, but at the same time not so super crunchy that I felt I had to go outside and nibble on some tree bark. And it wasn't so mainstream that it had all those "do this" and "don't do this or you will break your baby" rules that make you dizzy. You can look inside the book on Amazon which is often good for getting a feel for it.

Amazon linky
Ola_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:16 PM   #5
thelilprincess
Registered Users

I usually like to read - but I really didn't want to read so much information when it came to baby and pregnancy. So overwhelming. But I'm also in healthcare so I have some knowledge. Or at least know what to ask my drs most of the time.

I liked the What to Expect App - short easy daily reads. A friend had handed down her book but I didn't want to read it when I had 15 weeks of nausea and vomiting 24/7.

My other friend got the baby bargains book and I was 2 months behind her so I just had her tell me things or I'd ask. Even with the recommendations, I still went with some things I really wanted. But I avoided things with awful reviews.

Post partum, I read 12 hours of sleep by 12 weeks - but I read at the 10 month mark. It was good, but like most books, could have been summarized in 2 pages or less.

Some people like Wonder Weeks - I never got it though. I've recommended that my sister get the book or perhaps the app that's now available since she's asking me questions about baby's progression and I honestly can't remember.
thelilprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #6
ClemsonMama87
Registered Users
Formerly: macsmommy10
seller
seller

My Mood:
I would NOT recommend What to Expect. It made me so paranoid and symptom-check everything when I was pregnant with my first. I do like The Complete Book... If you're more natural-minded, I love Bountiful, Beautiful, Blissful by Gurmukh and Ina May's Guide to Childbirth.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:29 PM   #7
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

I give Expecting 411 to my friends expecting a first baby. It's written conversationally in places but has a lot of info. It's also really well laid-out so it's easy to just look something up if you don't want to read the entire thing, plus there are separate little partner tips in some chapters so you can tab just those places for her DH to read.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:57 PM   #8
gabby354
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateroc View Post
Not a book, but my absolute fave weekly pregnancy guide is alphamom
I stumbled upon her blog. Pinterest I think, and it's just hilarious. I love it! She has some week by week books she references too that might be nice.

Everyone keeps recommending What to Expect to me, and it's a nice guideline. I'm well aware that I can't let the paranoia I feel with it get to me though. I have to keep in mind it won't all be an issue.

I really haven't been reading enough
gabby354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #9
browneyedcountrygirl
Registered Users

My Mood:

one book I wish I would have read before my first baby is natural childbirth the Bradley way, by susan mccutcheon, love it!! best wishes
browneyedcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote