Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
oXChrissyXo
Registered Users

When did your preemie sit up on his/her own or crawl?

So glad there's a section for preemies in here!!

Anyway, My son Dallas was born at 30 weeks after IC, PPROM and Preterm labor. He spent over 7 weeks in the NICU and came home May 1st 2012..He is now 8 months old and still hasn't been able to sit up or crawl. I know a lot of the reason he Wont sit up is because he is stiff (getting PT for it) and has really bad reflux (I'll make a new thread about that because I have some Qs) I know I shouldn't compare him but its so hard to see him wanting to move but cant We do lots of tummy time and PT and i've even put toys Infront of him when he's leaning against me and when he's on the floor.

When did your LO sit up alone or crawl? What are some things I can do to help Dallas more developmentally?

Advertisement

oXChrissyXo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

Re: When did your preemie sit up on his/her own or crawl?

My preemies were born at 31 weeks and had lengthy NICU stays. They both started army crawling at 8 months. FWIW, my DD1 who was full-term and is a totally healthy, normal child, didn't crawl until 10 months.

My DS also gets PT/OT for high muscle tone and that can make a big difference in motor skills. Has Dallas been seen by a neurologist? If so, have you discussed these things with him/her?
Old 11-30-2012, 10:46 PM   #3
sucrets4
Registered Users

My 33 weeker crawled at 9m actual. I'd ask your PT what things you can do to help him - as far as I know, there is a lot you can do at home. My friend used to work with babies as an OT and it was interesting seeing her with my DD before she learned to crawl. Once I watched her 'play' with DD, I incorporated those positions into our play time. I really think your PT is going to be your best contact and give you the most personalized information. Good luck!
sucrets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
mairedelune
Registered Users

My Mood:

my daughter isn't crawling yet...she just rolls. She can sit up by herself though...she is 7 months.
mairedelune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:19 AM   #5
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS was born at 34 weeks.

He sat independently at 12 months, crawled at 15 months, and walked at 18 months. We had PT 2X weekly, OT 1X week, ST 1X week, and feeding therapy starting at 3 months old just to get him to that point.

At 4 months, one of his developmental peds (Dr. Klemsz, head of Riley Children's Hospital Dev. Peds who I hugely love and respect) told me she thought he would never walk, and I needed to be prepared for a wheelchair bound child. Joke's on her---he plays soccer and rides his bike now! But, it took A LOT of therapy and homework 3 times a day to get there.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 07-14-2013 at 12:22 AM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:50 PM   #6
Miye10
Registered Users
seller

Our son was born at 36 weeks (barely a preemie but still a preemie) but he didn't crawl until he was about 14 months! He was creeping before that, but he never really got up on his hands and knees until 14 months. And he didn't really sit independently until 11 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Miye10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:20 PM   #7
nellie16
Registered Users
seller

My baby was born at 38.5 wks but was an IUGR baby and weighed 4.1lbs. He is now one and is almost sitting but not crawling. Just remember to not let doctors scare you. They will reach those goals in their own time and it's important to understand that every baby is different.
nellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote