Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Anyone have a baby who had trouble napping actually improve after 3-4m

My dd doesn't nap during the day well. she cant be put down and sometimes has to continue to be moving even when held. Her naps are generally 45m then she is up for maybe 45m and it starts again.

we've tried swings, swaddles, tummy, even the car is no guarantee and she'll wake up once home...

She actually sleeps well at night though she cant go down for bed until 8pm or she wakes up as if a nap attempt. she generally sleeps 8hr then 3hr.

She is a few days shy of 12 weeks.

i've read it could be a chemical imbalance that could start to correct itself the next 4-6 weeks.. Not sure if I'm a fool for hoping that is true...

anyone see big daytime sleeping changes soon after 12 week?

Advertisement

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 02-20-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone have a baby who had trouble napping actually improve after 3-4m

Mine DD is 17 months. I don't think she took longer than a 30 min nap, unless I was holding her or in the moby, for the first 6 months. She was not a good night sleeper either. Up every three hours maybe 4. She still wakes at least once a night. The swing worked okay for her for the first few months.

However at about 6 months she started taking a good 1.5 to 2 hour nap at daycare and home on the weekend I can usually get a decent nap in the afternoon.

If she falls asleep in the car she would sometimes stay asleep in the bucket when I brought it in. But now in the convertable she wakes up and has trouble going back to sleep.

She is baby #3 and her sleep habbits are so different than my first two who were awesome sleepers.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:36 AM   #3
lilg82882
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
This is baby #3.
He has mostly cat napped so far.
When he was younger he'd cat nap 2-3days in a row then sleep on day 3 or4 for a three hour nap!
He was sleeping great at night (8-10 hour stretches!) then we hit 4 month sleep regression.
He is almost 6 months and will now only cat nap no more catch up naps. But *knock on wood* I think we've finally made it past regression and he is back to sleeping good at night.

For reference my oldest was always a good sleeper and great napper.
Middle child horrible sleeper all around.
This one is basically in between lol
Old 02-20-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
Ola_
Registered Users

My DD's naps were a continuous improvement (mostly). At first I had to be holding her and moving and she'd sleep for no more than 20 minutes. Then I would hold her and start bouncing/rocking after 20 minutes when she was waking and get her to sleep another 20. Eventually I was able to put her down about 10 minutes into her nap when she was really asleep and I'd come back and pick her up when she woke after the first 20 was up, rock her and hold her to finish the nap for another 20. Slowly she started staying asleep for a whole 40-45 minute nap, and then eventually for a second one to make 1.5 hrs (sometimes longer if she's really tired). I don't recall if any of it was around 12 weeks though, it's a bit of a blur to be honest.
Ola_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:09 PM   #5
newmom98118
Registered Users
seller

Both my boys seemed to figure out napping at about 10 mos. Only cat naps until then. Hang in there!
Old 02-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #6
Violetmama12
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mine cat napped until about a year, and even now I feel lucky if she takes an hour nap in the afternoon. It stinks, but at a certain point you get used to it...and come to loooove the random epic 2 hour nap!
Violetmama12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:53 PM   #7
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

I think your baby sounds totally normal. At least like all of my babies. I don't try to put my babies on schedules and for the first while they just sleep when they want. Somewhere between 6-8 months old they fall into a more predictable pattern where they have a morning nap and an afternoon nap. DD is 9 months and she's doing that now, but not at any specific time. Sometimes she falls asleep again at 9am, sometimes 11am. Sometimes her afternoon nap starts as late as 5pm. Sometimes she sleeps 30 minutes, sometimes she sleeps 2-3 hours.

For me, I feel like if they are happy and social they are usually getting plenty of sleep. You can't make a baby sleep if he/she isn't sleepy. If she's whiny and cranky then she's probably tired. Thankfully my days aren't very scheduled either. So a planned trip to the store gets put off when baby takes an unexpected nap. Sometimes she takes a cat nap it the car if we have to be out and about. It isn't until my babies are about a year old that naptime becomes sacred to me.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #8
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmom98118
Both my boys seemed to figure out napping at about 10 mos. Only cat naps until then. Hang in there!
This was my experience with my first. It was closer to 6/7 months though. My younger one will sleep for 45 mins max. He takes 4 of those in a day. Sometimes he'll sleep for a long time but it is rare. He sleeps well at night too.

There really isn't much you can do. If she wakes up cranky try and get her to sleep for longer but if she wakes up happy there really isn't any point in trying to get her to nap longer. It's just going to frustrate both of you.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:50 PM   #9
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmom98118 View Post
Mine were in the 8-10 month range before they started napping decently. With my first I was pretty clueless about nap schedules/sleep signs, but with my second I read a bunch of books and really tried my best to do it right but got the same result. With my 3rd, I still did things "right" and had mixed/similar results, she did sleep really well at night when she was younger (like 8 hours, feed & change, then another 4 hours; it was so awesome). Things went down hill when she got chicken pox at 5 months.
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:18 PM   #10
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Both of mine were odd nappers until about 5-6 months. My oldest figured out sleeping at night and was sleeping 12 hours at 3.5-4 months, but it messed with her daytime sleeping and we had several weeks where she really wouldn't do more than catnap during the day which made her very cranky. Finally around 5 months she settled into a 1 long afternoon nap pattern, and that worked for us. Happiest baby ever after that.

My youngest was a little longer figuring out night sleeping, but would only fall asleep on me, and then it took some finangling to get her into a bed. Then if it was dark she'd sleep for a good stretch - wasn't 12 hours like her sister, but a decent night sleep for me 6-8 hours I think. But at the same time, she'd only catnap during the day and only on me. I finally got her to nap longer if I laid down on my bed with her, and nursed her sidelying, and then snuck out when she was well and truly asleep to get a one long afternoon nap out of her. She was more like 6 months once that started working consistantly. Once she started napping consistantly, she started sleeping better at night too, she's 22 months now and she sleeps 12 hours at night and 2-3 hours in the afternoon still.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote