Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2014, 12:11 PM   #11
apeeling
Registered Users
seller

Re: Best work from home option for moms?

dp

Advertisement

Last edited by apeeling; 02-21-2014 at 12:22 PM.
apeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:45 PM   #12
littlegmama
Registered Users
seller

I'm going to follow this thread. I'm finishing a degree now with a little one and in no mood to get a real job once my assistantship is up. My plan is to use my time to do crafty things that I like (sewing, crocheting, jewelry making) and get a little online business going. I don't plan to make much money but it would be nice to cover my costs and have enough extra that we can get buy without me having a "real" job.
littlegmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:52 PM   #13
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeeling
I second tutor.com, my husband does that. They have a variety of subjects, but generally the math & science areas are in higher demand for tutors. You need to take a test to qualify for each subject. Each week you sign up for hours that you can work (my husband does maybe 1 hour a day, though in the past he's done much more). During that time you get paid a smaller amount per hour just for being online, then when you're actually connected to a student you get paid your full tutoring amount. My husband plays video games or does homework until he's connected to a student, so it works out to be really nice. Even if you don't schedule hours, you can "float" -- you don't get paid just to be online, but you get paid when a student connects to you (there are more students during high volume times). They also give bonuses for high ratings and for keeping sessions short.

If you want details on wages, let me know.
I'm curious about this for my brother. Could you please give me a light rundown?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #14
BootsNBuckles
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar View Post

I'm curious about this for my brother. Could you please give me a light rundown?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Me, too please!
Brittany , Student and Wife to Omar , Proud parents of 3 girls, M, 9, J, 7 & E, 5 and hoping for bean #4 very soon! Team BLUE
BootsNBuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:26 PM   #15
apeeling
Registered Users
seller

So tutor.com is an online tutoring platform. They have multiple subjects available for people to tutor, though some have higher preference. There's also a higher preference for people that can tutor more than one subject. Anyway, you can choose a subject to tutor in, take a test, and if you pass (you get 3 chances) then you can tutor. I think you're put on a probationary period after that. I don't remember the details on that part.

My husband tutors Algebra, Trig & Physics. He makes 14.50 per hour when actively connected to a student. For scheduled hours (hours that he has to be online) he get's 5.50/hr when not connected to a student. He can also sign on at any other time, though he's not paid when he's waiting & not in a session with a student. There are only so many scheduled hours available each week, I think tutors with more subjects get priority for scheduling.

This has more info on applying & which subjects are high demand:
http://www.tutor.com/apply/application-process
(there are more subjects than listed on that page)

This has more info about payment (and lots of other things)
http://www.tutor.com/apply/tutoring-faq

Keep in mind that this is 1099 contract work for taxes -- they don't withhold anything and you'll have to pay almost double in taxes, I believe.

Hope this helps!
apeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #16
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would normally run far away from direct sales opportunities, but I've recently become a Younique presenter, and it is A.Maz.Ing! It's a YOUNG direct sales company (started in November 2012) and has fewer than 20K presenters nationwide (compare that with the few million Mary Kay consultants that exist today). They pay DAILY on your sales and have an awesome support network. You don't even have to wait for your kit to start selling - it can all be done online! All you need is Facebook. I'm so new that I actually don't even have my kit yet (nor have I even laid hands on any of the products at all!) but I've already made several sales. The support is just THAT awesome. PM me if you'd like more info or have any more questions.
I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote