Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2014, 07:52 AM   #1
squirrelgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Is this cradle cap?

Dd2 (15 months) has patchy, scaley dry looking skin on her head. It has just recently become a problem. I thought cradle cap was something only newish babies got? Does anybody know what I did "wrong" to let this develop? I bite my nails so I can't give their scalps a good scrub when I wash their hair. But dd1 has never had this problem. what do I do to get rid of it? I think I heard somewhere not to scrub/pick at it. But is that right? Help! I don't like this on her head and want it gone!

Advertisement

Because the sinless Savior died, my sinful soul is counted free!

Last edited by squirrelgirl; 02-21-2014 at 07:53 AM.
squirrelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #2
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is this cradle cap?

Cradle cap is yellow scales on the scalp. The best way to get rid of it is to comb it off but honestly it just comes back in my experience. My oldest always has it and he is 12. As long as he has hair he has cradle cap (if I shave his head it goes away). Dandruff shampoos are supposed to help but I wouldn't use them on a toddler (if you want to there are some natural versions). I have been given advice to bathe him less often, more often, with conditioner only ect. None of it works. He showers every day now and it still doesn't get rid of it for him. He has it less now that he wears a mohawk than when he had super long hair. My youngest doesn't really get it. Most kids will grow out of it.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I still have it. It's annoying and gross.

The only shampoo I have found to work is Nizorol (anti-fungal). Regular dandruff shampoos don't seem to cut it. I even tried tea tree shampoos and pine tar and nada - still scaley just with stinky hair. lol

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 02-21-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I just used olive oil left it in his hair for an hour and combed his hair getting it all off. It was gross but it worked and I am sure I will have to do every other month but it is natural so I am not worried about doing it. it didn't bother him at all.
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:38 AM   #5
juliefarnsworth87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Cradle Cap is overactive sebaceous glands in the scalp. It can be hormonal if persistent. I just leave dd alone. It doesn't bother me.
juliefarnsworth87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:41 AM   #6
TobinsTreasures
Registered Users
Formerly: Kelsey***3
seller
seller

My Mood:

You can also try rubbing coconut oil into scalp and combing scales away.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #7
squirrelgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OK! This makes me feel better! I was feeling like I wasn't washing her/taking care of her good enough! I will try the olive oil first and see if that helps!

Because the sinless Savior died, my sinful soul is counted free!
squirrelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:26 AM   #8
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelgirl
OK! This makes me feel better! I was feeling like I wasn't washing her/taking care of her good enough! I will try the olive oil first and see if that helps!
Nope, some kids/people are just prone to it. All 3 of mine had it a bit as babies but my girls haven't really had issues past the baby stage. DS on the other hand just turned 5 and he still gets it. He also has eczema and all around sensitive skin. For whatever reason he just has more trouble with it.

When I notice it getting bad (he has long hair so it isn't as noticeable) I put jojoba oil on his scalp right before bed and massage it in. I let him sleep like that and then we use a baby brush (the soft bristle brush) and use that to sort of scrape it off his scalp. It's gross especially because he has long hair so it all just hangs out in his hair until we are done brushing Then once we are done brushing I put him in the bath and we wash his hair. It usually takes about 2 washes to get all the oil out so I do this on a weeken when we don't need to leave the house for he day. I do a bath in the morning and then we check to see if we missed any spots. Then we do another wash in the evening to get any remaining oil out.

DS does not like th brushing process but he always feels better once it's done and hi scalp can breath again.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #9
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliefarnsworth87
Cradle Cap is overactive sebaceous glands in the scalp. It can be hormonal if persistent. I just leave dd alone. It doesn't bother me.
Y'know - I had never heard that. It makes sense. I have had a few sebaceous cysts removed from my scalp after they abscess and have a few more just hanging out.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:37 PM   #10
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

AFAIK, cradle cap is sebhorreic dermatitis (sp?). We ran into it a few weeks ago w/ both babies. I put some CJ's on it & left it on overnight to soften up the scales,then combed the scales out the next morning, then bathed, giving a good scalp massage (not using fingernails). It totally cleared L's scalp, but H had a little scaliness hanging out around the edges so I had to repeat. It may or may not recur.

It has some similar properties to, but is different than, psoriasis...I seem to have both on my own scalp.