Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2014, 11:46 AM   #1
kimmyj
Registered Users

Lora Jensen's 3 day method

Hi Everyone!

I love reading through this forum and hearing success stories from your little potty learners and getting insight from everyone.

We decided to use the 3 day potty guide with our 22 month old son. We have used EC for poop since he was really little and he has been very good about pooping on the potty for many months. We are fortunate not to have to fight that battle.

So Thursday night, I set up the bathroom with his sticker chart, treats and step stools. I also stacked random stacks of prefolds around the house to make clean ups easier. On Friday morning we boxed up all of the diapers and cloth trainers for the storage unit and began.

The first day we had 20 accidents and only 3 successes (1 poop, 2 pee). We caught almost every accident in the act and ran him to the potty. He just wasn't getting it.

The second day we had 8 accidents and 8 successes (1 poop, 7 pee). While those numbers say he was doing better, I still don't feel like he was really getting it.

The third day we had 5 accidents and 6 successes (1 poop, 5 pee). When he went to bed the third day, I still didn't feel like it had clicked for him. The book states it will click by the end of the 3rd day, and it didn't for us.

I feel like it clicked this morning. He ran to the potty, sat on it all on his own, and peed. Then he did it twice more with only one accident in between. He's still learning to point it down when peeing so he doesn't pee all over the bathroom, but we'll get there.

We also did underwear overnight. The first two nights he woke up and we took him to the potty. The third night we had two accidents. I think he might have wet when he was asleep and it didn't even wake him, but I'm not sure. I keep a very close watch on him at night and feel bad that he may have slept in urine.

Just looking for insight. This method states if the child is older than 22 months than he's ready - no matter what. Which I've convinced myself of. Sometimes I feel like we're doing really well, and sometimes I don't feel like this is going to work and we're going to continue to have accidents.

He goes back to daycare tomorrow and I'm so nervous!

Advertisement

kimmyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
FlyingMama
Registered Users
seller

I also used Lora's 3 day method for Dd1 and Dd2. Dd1 was 22 months. It took her 5 days for it to really click. But by the end of the week she was mostly good to go. Never had an accident out. It took a little longer for night but she got it by the end of the month. I think it just takes the little longer. Even though it took her longer than 3 days I think it is a good method.

Now dd2 was 26 months when I trained her. She got it on the first day and by the end of the 3 days she was done. I don't know if it was being a little older or that she was so excited to copy her sister.

Give it a good weeks try. Sounds to me like he's doing great!
Old 02-24-2014, 09:08 AM   #3
kimmyj
Registered Users

Re: Lora Jensen's 3 day method

Thank you for your reply!

It has been one week now since we finished day 3. He has been in daycare and has had two accidents at daycare so far. He still hasn't used a public toilet though (not for lack of trying). So we had an accident at the park 5 minutes after leaving the restroom.

He has gone one full day with no accidents and one full night with no accidents. Every other night we have had at least one (sometimes 3) accidents over night. I'm no longer tracking every single success and accident. He's doing much better but I still would have a REALLY hard time calling him "potty trained" - even though he hasn't worn a diaper in 10 days.

I try not to get frustrated with him, but I still am feeling frustration. I want to be much closer to 100% by the end of March. I just need to keep on swimming and hope he learns that when he has to pee he needs to run to the bathroom instead of standing there and looking down and saying "poop" (he still calls pee "poop" half the time).
Old 02-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #4
kimmyj
Registered Users

I need help. My son always tells me when he has to go potty, just not in time! He's usually just began going or is just about to begin - and 7/10 times we end up with an accident. The 3/10 times that he makes it he usually will run through the hall yelling "poop poop poop!!" and into the bathroom....when he uses his words to calmly tell me, that's when we have accidents. I always use positive encouragement when he makes it.

At daycare they take him at regular intervals to avoid accidents, and he hasn't had any accidents this week at daycare. I don't do that at home, I want him to learn if he has to go, to go to the bathroom to do his business. If I ask him if he has to potty and he tells me no - I don't make him sit on the potty.

He freaks out if he's wet, doesn't have poop accidents, climbs on the big potty (with the help of a stool) and takes his pants down (but needs help putting them back on). He goes 2-3 hours dry throughout the day and is dry for naps. I feel like he's ready, but once he decides he needs to go, he can't hold it long. He still has issues sitting on the big potty without a little seat, he NEEDS his little seat or he will not go.

Anyone have any advice?

Edited to add: He is 23 months old, we began potty training him two weeks ago.

Last edited by kimmyj; 02-28-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #5
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmyj View Post
I need help. My son always tells me when he has to go potty, just not in time! He's usually just began going or is just about to begin - and 7/10 times we end up with an accident. The 3/10 times that he makes it he usually will run through the hall yelling "poop poop poop!!" and into the bathroom....when he uses his words to calmly tell me, that's when we have accidents. I always use positive encouragement when he makes it.

At daycare they take him at regular intervals to avoid accidents, and he hasn't had any accidents this week at daycare. I don't do that at home, I want him to learn if he has to go, to go to the bathroom to do his business. If I ask him if he has to potty and he tells me no - I don't make him sit on the potty.

He freaks out if he's wet, doesn't have poop accidents, climbs on the big potty (with the help of a stool) and takes his pants down (but needs help putting them back on). He goes 2-3 hours dry throughout the day and is dry for naps. I feel like he's ready, but once he decides he needs to go, he can't hold it long. He still has issues sitting on the big potty without a little seat, he NEEDS his little seat or he will not go.

Anyone have any advice?

Edited to add: He is 23 months old, we began potty training him two weeks ago.
I'm not an expert like some ladies here, as we're in the home stretch with my 28mo DS. At this age, I feel fine TAKING my son to the potty or telling him it's time to go. He also tells us sometimes. But if asked, the answer is always "no" -- in fact, the answer is "no" to any question that doesn't involve chocolate or ice cream. I think that's part of this charming age. However, I personally think that part of the learning process is ingraining the idea that sometimes we take breaks from our activities to answer nature's call. It's a more intellectual than physical part of the training, but I think it's just as important.

We have never used a timer, but if it's been a few hours and we're going to move on to the next activity (meal, going out, getting dressed etc) or he just downed a huge cup of liquid we tell him that it's time to go. If, for example, we're about to sit down for dinner and he tells us that he doesn't want to pee I say "Would you like to go now or after dinner? Remember that you're wearing big boy undies and we don't want to have an accident!" He says "later" and is accident-free, though every now and then if he really needs to go he tells us and we help him down from his chair. At this point he really doesn't need the reminder, but we continue to reinforce the idea that transitions are an ideal potty time. No harm in that. DS is also very verbal and expresses the precise physical need and whether he'd like to do it now or later, perhaps the virtue of a few extra months.

Given your son's age, I personally think that building in potty time as a regular part of the routine is more important than his independently verbalizing needs. If he has accidents 70% of the time then it seems like he needs more guidance and instruction and there's nothing wrong with that! It may help him realize the feeling of a full bladder before he gets to emergency status. We want to make sure that this process is low-stress for all of us. Sure, there were pee accidents at the beginning. But we were all calm and DS would just come with me to grab some rags and help clean it up.

Regarding the big seat/little seat do you mean a potty ring versus a stand-alone baby potty? Or a potty ring versus a grown up toilet seat? My son only ever liked the ring, not the baby potty and generally prefers to pee standing up... but he is small at 28mo and probably YEARS away from sitting on a real toilet seat. No harm in that, it's the blessing and the curse of a young potty trained child. When we are out he pees standing up (generally stands on the toilet seat and we help him aim so that he can focus on balance. At home if he is resistant to sitting, I give him the option to stand and he usually take it. If we're going out and expect a poop or we're travelling we take the potette in a medium wetbag.

Great customer service from:

meljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:52 AM   #6
kimmyj
Registered Users

Oh yeah it is not to say that we never have him sit on the potty at transition times. He is very willing generally to do so (although if he is not willing, I do not force).

My son has never used the word "later", but maybe that would be an ideal thing to teach him. He uses a potty ring at home and at daycare. We keep a stand-alone baby potty in the car for him to use when we are out and about because he will not sit on big potty with a grown up seat yet (and not for lack of trying).

He has never peed standing up, I'm a little nervous to try to teach him that! Perhaps I haven't been diligent enough in taking him regularly -- haha I don't want to stop what I'm doing to take him to the potty either!

My friend showed me that she has this little fold-able toilet seat that folds into a purse for public toilets. I am going to pick one up tonight so we can pee and poo on the go!
Old 02-28-2014, 12:26 PM   #7
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Oh yeah it is not to say that we never have him sit on the potty at transition times. He is very willing generally to do so (although if he is not willing, I do not force).

My son has never used the word "later", but maybe that would be an ideal thing to teach him. He uses a potty ring at home and at daycare. We keep a stand-alone baby potty in the car for him to use when we are out and about because he will not sit on big potty with a grown up seat yet (and not for lack of trying).

He has never peed standing up, I'm a little nervous to try to teach him that! Perhaps I haven't been diligent enough in taking him regularly -- haha I don't want to stop what I'm doing to take him to the potty either!
If he has the bladder control and you're taking him at transition times, it seems like you shouldn't need to take him too much more often (at this age, we're rarely doing anything for more than an hour or two at a time). But 20min after a full cup of fluid he'll probably need to relieve himself. You can help to make that connection verbally as well. "Since you're having a really big drink now, in a little while it will be time to visit the potty!" He doesn't have to use the word "later", but if he says no to an offered potty trip you can say "ok, then we'll go after we read one more book. is that a good idea?" That approach seems to work with my son because then he gets to agree that it's a good idea. Toddler logic If he continues to complain, then I offer for him to do a "stand up pee pee" and that usually gets an enthusiastic response. He just holds my hands for balance while standing on his stool.

Quote:
My friend showed me that she has this little fold-able toilet seat that folds into a purse for public toilets. I am going to pick one up tonight so we can pee and poo on the go!
Sounds like the potette :-) It's great! I would not force the issue of a grown-up seat. It's just too much of a size mismatch at this age. Maybe for a big kid starting at 3yo I could see it. But it could be a scary and unproductive experience for a 2yo or even a small 3yo. Before we knew better we tried the big seat once or twice with DS and he was really terrified.

I know it's contrary to all of the 1-day, 3-day, 1-week methods etc but I think when they're so young it's important to keep it low pressure for the whole family. At that age if he's willing to sit on the potty and try, I'd count that as a victory. Even better that he's having some success! There are ways in which it's more work having a child trainING than in diapers in my opinion -- unless it's a 3.5-4yo will full gross motor, cognitive and verbal skills it's part kid-training and part parent-training. Everyone has to be on their game.

When we started out, we'd put DS in lightly padded undies at home and diapers when out or asleep. That stage lasted for months with our share of puddles! Once he started having pee successes (one day it just "clicked" once we found the right motivation) we started using Grovia trainers out of the house. None of us needed to be frantically searching for a restroom in a new environment and DS still wasn't pooping on the potty, but we were able to easily pull them down to pee in a public toilet. We deliberately waited on the trainers until he was having enough pee success not to treat them as a diaper. He's had a few pee accidents (maybe four in the last month?), but they certainly haven't set him back. He still wears the trainers at preschool (since they request it, but dry 99% of the time) and for naps (though he always wakes up dry). When he's with us on the weekend he's in undies unless we're going somewhere that we think will be really problematic (airplane, swimming pool, etc). We're all cool with the combination solution and no one gets stressed out about DS having accidents (super super rare). At night DS is still in a diaper. He wakes up dry a few times per week, but many kids aren't physically capable of consistent night dryness until much older. I'd rather we all get a good night's sleep than push him into undies at night. There's no compelling reason IMO to push that issue since it's often out of their control. We just use a flat+doubler in a pocket and I rinse in the sink the next day, hang to dry, then throw in with our linen/towel laundry. That stuff all goes through a hot wash once per week so it's no big deal.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #8
kimmyj
Registered Users

Thanks so much. I think our problem is he is not going at transition times. He sits most of the time, but produces nothing, and then later it becomes an emergency.

I talked to his daycare and they are taking him MUCH more frequently than I do (and more than I would ever like to). He goes every 30-45 minutes at daycare and pees about 1/3 times, she says.

That sounds very accurate to what I have experienced but I do not have the patience to make my kid sit on the pot every half hour.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #9
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Thanks so much. I think our problem is he is not going at transition times. He sits most of the time, but produces nothing, and then later it becomes an emergency.

I talked to his daycare and they are taking him MUCH more frequently than I do (and more than I would ever like to). He goes every 30-45 minutes at daycare and pees about 1/3 times, she says.

That sounds very accurate to what I have experienced but I do not have the patience to make my kid sit on the pot every half hour.
Oooooooh. When you said you take him at transition times, I assumed you meant that he actually goes. Yeah, we were stuck in that stage for a while (maybe from 22-25mo). Then we had a big box of chocolate coins left from hosting a party. DS wanted them... bad. I told him he could have one if he peed in the potty and two if he pooped in the potty. The next day, that child started peeing in the potty! If you're open to incentives/bribery, see if you can find what makes him tick.

It's was frustrating, because he demonstrated some signs of readiness but couldn't or wouldn't pee on command. The problem with the 30min timer is then you've trained a kid to void his bladder almost constantly! Quite the opposite of what you probably hope to achieve.

With all due respect to Ms. Jensen, it sounds like her method has not worked for you or your son. If you really want a "boot camp style" people seem to have good results with Oh Crap! My understanding is that it's three "stages" rather than three days and the length of each stage depends on the child's progress. That seems much more reasonable to me than assuming that a child can un-learn diapers and learn potty in just a few days.

ETA: we did not use any specific method, just what made sense to us and a little reading from the internet and pediatrician handouts.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:37 PM   #10
kimmyj
Registered Users

I definitely feel like the method we chose left a lot to be desired. At the end of the three days it left me with a "potty trained" child that no longer wears diapers but still has frequent accidents. Understanding that "this is normal and it takes practice".

Ok, I could have told you that without buying any books or the stresses of the three day method that left my husband and I feeling stressed, frustrated and unsure. In the end, I think teaching a child takes patience and love and setting a time limit is ridiculous. I just don't know if I've done enough and he's getting it (by recognizing that he needs to go and telling me every time....even if it's pretty much too late).

It covers what to do if there is regression, but not how to handle instances like we have experienced.

We watch Daniel Tiger's potty episode that focuses on "If you have to go potty STOP and go right away" every single day, but I don't know how much he understands about not waiting until the last minute, after all, he is still very young.

We have tried the silent reward thing, but maybe the bribing thing will do the trick. He is a sucker for candies. Thanks so much for responding to me and for your help!! I will try and keep you updated!! Just trying to remind myself that we've only been at this TWO WEEKS, two weeks is nothing and will be so worth it in the end!

Last edited by kimmyj; 02-28-2014 at 01:39 PM.