Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
Sarai*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Anyone else battling Call of Duty?

My not quite 11 year old son's friends all play this. As does, it seems, the neighborhood. It is a topic of conversation everyday of his life, the most recent being call of duty Ghosts. I feel like the only mom in the world who doesn't want my kids playing it.

The whole point to the game seems to be shooting people. The player is the first person shooter. I don't care if there is "not that much blood" or "you can turn the bad language off", I don't want shooting people to be my son's entertainment. It bothers me in a way that laser tag and nerf guns do not. This seems somewhat hypocritical, I know, and I can't quite verbalize what makes me squeemish. He is much more put out by feeling left out than a desire to play the game, which he admits is not a fun concept for him.

I guess I'm not really looking for advice, cause I'm not going to let him play it anywhere in the near future, regardless, and he just has to deal with the fact he has the uncoolest mom on the planet, but is anyone else facing this?

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2014, 09:40 PM   #2
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My boys are 14 and 15 this summer, and we are having the same battle in our house. They pooled their christmas money and bought an xbox against my PROMISE there wouldn't be a whole lot I will let them play. Haha

I have caved in and allowed a few "not-so-realistic" games. Dh is military and we really don't want to normalize it for them. Luckily, they are more into the sports games and minecraft. ;-)

My biggest concern is the realism of these games. The graphics are so good now, that it really does look like they are killing people.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 02-21-2014, 09:43 PM   #3
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
And you can tell him that you are NOT the uncoolest mom - there are 2 teenage boys in Alberta who are STILL not allowed to play and like to remind me eleventy!!!!1!1!1!!11 times a day that *I* am the loseriest mom EVAH... cue dramatic sigh, stomp down the stairs and a door slam!

Old 02-21-2014, 09:52 PM   #4
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Anyone else battling Call of Duty?

This uncool mom won't let my kids pay it either. Except my kids don't have any desire to play it anyway.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:20 PM   #5
Sarai*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontariomama View Post
And you can tell him that you are NOT the uncoolest mom - there are 2 teenage boys in Alberta who are STILL not allowed to play and like to remind me eleventy!!!!1!1!1!!11 times a day that *I* am the loseriest mom EVAH... cue dramatic sigh, stomp down the stairs and a door slam!

Thanks, I let him know.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:24 PM   #6
Sarai*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
This uncool mom won't let my kids pay it either. Except my kids don't have any desire to play it anyway.
the funny thing is, my son really doesn't want to play it either (I think he has played tried it at someone's house) he just hates feeling left out all the time, but it is literally consuming the pals he hangs out with the most, and is also very popular among his more peripheral friends and acquaintances.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:30 PM   #7
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Not allowed here either. Ever. Or halo or anything with guns. They can hate me. Whatever. Lol
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:47 PM   #8
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Dh plays from time to time. Our kids are not allowed, nor does Dh play when they're up. It's an after bed game only. I also won't allow it as long as I have a say because again, it is too realistic. I am not interested in first person shooter games being my children's entertainment. They don't spend time at others' homes so I'm not currently concerned with it though we just moved back to a mil base and not of the kids my ods' age do play. He will be busy with sports and family stuff.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:36 AM   #9
BootsNBuckles
Registered Users

I guess I'm different. My kids accompany me to the range to shoot "people looking" targets and also shoot real rifles...they can play but seem to always choose racing games over it. FWIW, I have youth competitive shooters so it isnt outside the norm.
Brittany , Student and Wife to Omar , Proud parents of 3 girls, M, 9, J, 7 & E, 5 and hoping for bean #4 very soon! Team BLUE
BootsNBuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:41 AM   #10
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our principal plays with the students from school (7th/8th grade). It is all the rage here. He gets online a lot of nights to play and has made some strong relationships with "problem" children while playing the game. I've not played that particular one, but it wouldn't bother me. My 4 year old loves Skylanders, so I'm sure we'll get there eventually.

We also shoot at realistic targets sometimes, and my kids are around guns daily (DH carries daily, I carry sometimes), so they are comfortable around firearms.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 02-23-2014 at 12:42 AM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote