Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2014, 08:23 PM   #11
Designsbybequi
Registered Users
seller

Re: 1st Grade for advanced 6yo? pick and choose?

Check out Heart of Dakota- its very flexible in adapting to individual child's levels and is an all in one curriculum to help you keep on track. The english is advanced enough to keep her engaged. They use Singapore math so you pick the level she's at or a different program alltogether. It's a Charlotte Mason approach.

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2014, 09:53 PM   #12
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandj View Post
very true, we struggle to find stuff for him that isn't scary or inappropriate. We have found that 'older' chapter books series from when we were kids are great for him and he also enjoys encyclopedias etc lol any suggestions for a language arts program (to help up his comprehension) that would be age appropriate reading/content wise?
We are getting ready to try Progeny Press for literature with my advanced 1st grader. We really like it for the older ages (5th and 8th), but haven't used it at this young of an age. We are trying a book that is listed for upper elementary. I know the book is okay, but I'm not sure how well she will do with the study guide, but as I already have it, we figured we would try it. We have also used Rod and Staff before and liked it, as well. We actually only switched to Progeny Press because the Rod and Staff reading changes format at the 5ht or 6th grade level and my older two didn't care for the different format.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:29 PM   #13
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

My 6 year old is advanced and in first grade. Reads at a 7th grade level and is in the second semester of second grade math. I just choose individual curriculum for each subject.

No matter what level she is working on, I still say she is in first grade. For us the grade is age based so she is in with kids her age in activities, at church, for future testing etc. But the actual school content is all over the board grade/level wise. That is the beauty of homeschooling!
Old 02-22-2014, 12:48 PM   #14
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We started with boxed curriculum and have found that we will be doing more of a piece together approach from now on. We used the boxed 1st grade curriculum this year and he was technically in Kindergarten, but next year we will call him a 2nd grader but will use 3rd grade math and then most everything else will be on grade level. DS reads between a 3rd and 4th grade level right now but that is steadily climbing and we too are struggling with finding books that are appropriate for his maturity level as well as books he wants to read.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:05 PM   #15
Featherhead
Registered Users

For language arts I would try something like CLE, so you can test to see which level he needs. You shouldn't run into any inappropriate content there. CLE is a very thorough curriculum. It has daily lessons all planned out, and much of the work can be done independently. You can choose the correct level for each subject.
Featherhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:06 PM   #16
KaliShanti
Registered Users
seller

I have a very advanced six year old. Each subject we chose a different curriculum. His grades range from 3rd to 5th grade with a reading level of 8-9th grade. For books, I just try to pick out ones that aren't too mature themed, but since he is a speed reader, this is difficult because he has already read so much!