Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2014, 08:01 PM   #21
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you had a LO with reflux

Nope. Our pedi said he felt the testing to really prove reflux was too invasive for most babies. He's rather prescibe a low dose of meds and see if that helps. If it helps - it is probably reflux. If the meds didn't help he would have ordered tests then to really diagnose the problem and find the proper solution.

Advertisement

Rhianna'sMommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:28 PM   #22
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
This is ridiculous. I don't understand why she's making such a big deal out of it.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:34 PM   #23
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My ped just put ds1 on medication to rule out anything else.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:35 PM   #24
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD1 had reflux. I had to beg our family doc for meds. Within 24 hours of starting Zantac we had a different baby. It was dramatic. I should have put my foot down sooner. She outgrew her issues (both the reflux and the dairy sensitivity) around 5 months.
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:31 PM   #25
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
My dr thought it wasn't reflux but gave me zantac to try anyways and said it wouldn't hurt and would tell us if it fixed his issues.

He didn't have reflux though and I stopped the meds pretty quickly.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:47 AM   #26
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The strap you to a board is usually gastric emptying. They are making sure your child's stomach empties correctly. Sometimes, kids who have slow motility reflux.

There is also the pH probe test where they put a pH probe in like an NG tube (through the nose) and leave it for 24 hours, and record how much acid comes up the throat. When DS had it done, it showed nothing, but he has cobblestoning in his throat that they saw on all of his endoscopies.

There is also the upper GI, and swallow studies to make sure that things are going where they should be (and not into the lungs). We've had all of those too.

Kids are born with an open esophagus to keep them from overeating. This is the main culprit in many kids reflux. 90% of kids will close by 10 months, and 95% will close by a year. My son is one of the 5% that didn't close, so he got a J tube (feeding tube into his intestines) when he was 18 months old since he puked 10+ times a day even at that point.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 02-23-2014 at 12:49 AM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote