Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2014, 08:14 PM   #121
happyhats
Registered Users
seller

Re: Does your (4,5,6) year old have an ipad?

My kids have a desktop for games like starfall.com and pbskids. My hubby has apps for the kids on his phone. I think its crazy from a financial standpoint that people in general spend so much on electronics on a reg basis. Smartphones are pricey and constantly upgraded, same with tablets and video game equipment. Then factoring in kids getting seperate ones as well. Yipes. But Im cheap like that lol. I dont put much of a limit on screen time. We picked getting a new laptop rather than getting any kind of tablets bc of affordability, durability, and our needs. Ive been eyeing a kindle fire and I would put games on it. When my daughter learns to read I wouldnt be opposed to her having an ereader of some kind but I dont see the point of her having one now. My dc are five and three.

Advertisement

happyhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:34 PM   #122
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianna'sMommy View Post
They don't. But they also don't need multiple stuffed animals/dolls. Legos, blocks, trains, dollhouses, barbies, etc. I don't think there are very many kids who only have 1-2 toys to play with which is probably all that 1 child NEEDS. Most have way more than they need. It is something a kid enjoys so some parents buy one for them. But you're right no kid NEEDS an ipad and I doubt anyone who bought their kid bought them one because they needed it.

I would wager very few kids spend their whole day on an ipad or have no limitations with it. Every kid I know who has an ipad spends plenty of time using their imagination and plays 'real' toys. I know my kids spend way more time (most days) playing toys than they do electronics. When the weather isn't so darn cold we spend lots of time outdoors. Once spring comes they'll be begging to go outside once they get out of school and I'll drag them in for supper and they'll probably go back out again until bedtime. Just because they own an ipad doesn't mean they sit inside all day doing nothing else.
This sums up my view pretty well.
My 6 and soon-to-be 5 year olds have their own iPad minis. They were both their big Christmas items this past Christmas. They were $100 under the list price. It was a good deal, they really appreciate them, they have books and educational games and such on them, and it's not the only thing they do. My son has played in the mud in the yard several times this week, and it's just February. Also, it's nice to have them not killing the battery on mine anymore. It's a little older so the battery isn't in top shape. Plus, the baby watches pbs shows on it anyway. :gasp:
Old 02-21-2014, 10:13 PM   #123
sierrarv
Registered Users

Our 4 year old has his "own" iPod. It is an old one of DH's but it sits in a drawer in the kitchen and only gets charged if I know I'm going on a longer drive and want him to stay awake. We definitely wouldn't be buying him his own iPad.
sierrarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:37 PM   #124
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

The kids have a Nabi and a really old desk top that is for Abcmouse. They do watch TV and sometimes too much of it. I don't time it out. This is from someone who freaked out when Ds was little and Dh tried to let him see TV. (before two) Now I have a simple plan that I use in all my parenting. I go with my gut. If it seems like too much TV than it is. End of story. I don't give them a great explanation. I just say it's time to find something else to do. I think this is something I have felt tons of anxiety about, sometimes I still let it sneak in, but I just remind myself a little too much here and there I notice and correct for. It's not the end of the world.

Here is one thing though, I think you need to consider how your child learns. Ds learns tons from technology of all kinds. Spider-Man learns best from doing. He takes in very little from technology. Ds does get more screen time for that reason