Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2014, 10:55 AM   #1
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Is Christian Light Education (CLE) a solid phonics program?

I am looking for something for my son who is in 2nd but struggles with phonics and spelling. I want something solid, without a extra "fluff". I am thinking that going back now to get a more solid base for him might be worth it.

It's odd to me, because he is a good reader, but struggles with spelling/phonics/writing.

I ordered Phonics Pathways, but I am not sure if he would need more application to get it? Maybe use it in conjunction with something else.

Advertisement

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is Christian Light Education (CLE) a solid phonics program?

Phonics Pathways is good. I haven't used it and I don't own it, but I do know it is a good program. If you have that, I would use it.

I don't think he is going to need a lot more application because it should be a lot of review for him. And, I would think that you could have him just do some reading aloud after the lesson and point out where the rule is followed. ETA - You could write out words for him and have him mark the words and the rule that is used.

Another nice thing about phonics pathways is you can pick and choose the order of the lessons to some extent. If he is doing a spelling program, you can try to pair up the lessons to match. If that makes sense.

You can also add the explode the code work books. If you go to their website, you can see exactly which books teach which phonics rules. You could buy the ones that pertain to the phonics rules you want to teach and have him do a few pages after the phonics lesson.

If you don't want to go that route, then from my understanding CLE is good. I know Abeka has a very solid phonics program...similar to what I use from what I understand. It has a lot of worksheets and such to help reinforce the rule. Some people think too much and they don't do everything.

If I didn't use MFW, I would go with Abeka, personally. Although, I know Phonics Pathways is very good.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 02-04-2014 at 12:53 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:52 AM   #3
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If it is the spelling aspect of phonics that he is struggling with rather than the reading aspect, I would go with All About Spelling. It teaches the phonograms but from the spelling side...how to decode the sound into the proper phonogram/letters.

Phonics consists of both the decoding(reading) and encoding(spelling). He may have the decoding down but it is the encoding he is struggling with.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #4
helysa
Registered Users

I don't have experience w/ Phonics Pathways. We used CLE for LA last year but didn't finish. It just didn't work for us. In my opinion, yes, it's a very solid program. My daughter struggles w/ reading/spelling, and it just wasn't working for us. It was taking us a long time just to get through a day's content, esp as we got farther into it. I was having to do it over 2 days. It got wearisome even for me. We began using All About Reading & All About Spelling this year. It was a great move for us.
AAR & AAS don't have to be used together. If you have a reading program that's working for you & just wanted something for spelling, you could still use AAS. If you use both, it's recommended that you get thru the 1st level of AAR before starting spelling; after you finish AAR1 & begin AAR2, then you would start AAS Level 1. You don't have to do this, it is just what's recommended. We did it this way, & I'm glad we did. We got thru AAR1 in just a few months.
If you have a struggling speller, I highly recommend checking into AAS.
helysa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #5
Designsbybequi
Registered Users
seller

Maybe just get the phonics workbook from Abeka and the Reading Handbook and go over it daily. The Reading Handbook has all their phonic charts and a page review for each one. We did Abeka for 1st and 2nd and it's very solid. I think going over one page a day in their phonics workbook would be good with the corresponding page in Reading Handbook. The phonics workbook goes through the abeka phonics charts and have fun games to help them remember them. Their spelling workbook is good but a little easy imo. It's a short list with 2 worksheets for the entire week. You could do that as well, shouldn't add too much work and have a spelling test on Fridays for 5 minutes with a prize or reward?? If he's a reader already, I think a little phonics work will help in spelling.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:43 PM   #6
CCRMSS
Registered Users

My Mood:
Logic of English's essentials program was originally designed for struggling readers, if I remember correctly. We have loved the foundations program, but are not to the Essentials level yet, so I can't speak from experience, but I have heard wonderful things about it.