Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2014, 04:35 PM   #21
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Common Core article

Mama*Kim and cbreeding thanks for those thoughts. Yeah I am big on the there isn't a one size fits all solution for how students ought to learn certain things and about there being different methods to get to the same solution. So, I'm curious what the other methods to solve the math problem are now! I sent the problem to my dad and he came to it with one of those other ways to solve it.

Now I have another issue with that particular test question though. It looks like a multiple choice question (but maybe I'm missing something?) If it's relying on tens then the only choice someone can pick is D in the first place. Anyone can get to that through guesswork if they know all you need to do is narrow it down by figuring out tens. And how would the teachers know the answer was figured out incorrectly? Are they supposed to write down all the steps to how they figured it out? That photo only shows room to circle the D. Just musing.

Advertisement

mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #22
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicymustard View Post
I went to all the common core trainings at my school (middle level) before quitting to be a SAHM. In theory the new set of standards are updated and are a better reflection of what skill sets kids need when they leave school. I liked the look of some of the standards we were looking at. I think the method of testing might be rough for a lot of kids. As stated above, you don't get full credit unless you pick the correct reason why you got the answer. Kids especially who are currently in the system will have a hard time because they were not taught like that from the get go.

My feelings on it are meh. New set of hoops to jump through.

My mom teaches first grade and is on the common core transition team at her school and she LOVES common core. She likes that they are letting them (the transition team) come up with their own curriculum. More freedom. She has told me that some of the concepts seem too abstract for the age. She has also told me that her school is pretty divided on hating CC and loving it.
Ok, so, does Common Core actually lay out the specific methods of assessing mastery of the standards in addition to the actual standards themselves? Is it actually providing specific lesson plans and methods of teaching the standards?

I have seen all sorts of posts and articles and comments about how kids arent robots and one style of teaching doesnt fit all and standardized testing is awful, etc etc. But I can't find all those things on the common core website. Am I missing something?
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:53 PM   #23
Spicymustard
Registered Users
seller

The trainings I went to were only on the standards with sample test questions.

The tests will be rolled out by??? I'm not sure if it's a federal thing or a state thing.

As for the question on how will they know their thought process, one of the sample questions that I saw at the higher grade level had a follow up question that asked how you arrived at answer on prior question, with multiple choice. In addition, it was my understanding that part of the test would be multiple choice and some would be short answer.

Join me on Swagbucks.
Spicymustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:26 AM   #24
cbreeding
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel j View Post
So, I'm curious what the other methods to solve the math problem are now!
In our program that particular problem would have theses three strategies:

1. 8 to 10 strategy - Make 8 be 10 by taking 2 from the other number and adding it to the 8. 8+6= 8+2+4 = 10+4= 14 or 8+2+6 = 10+16 = 16-2 =14

2. 2 5's strategy - break the numbers up into their 5 component and other number. 8+6= 5+3+5+1 = 5+5+3+1 = 10+3+1 = 10+4 = 14

3. Memorize your addition facts - as we do games and practice addition, you just come to memorize x+y=z
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #25
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
For common core my understanding is that the states were originally in control so to speak of education in each state. Under common core the federal government will be in control of education. Each state will operate their education system exactly the same way. Do, if you move from one state to another your kid will be getting the same education...that's the idea. There is a lot of new paperwork and curriculum involved for teachers and students. A lot of new testing involved for students to check that this is taking place and students are learning what they should be learning. A lot more is being expected of students earlier than it was grade-wise than in years prior under common core. Increased # of homework hours for students...that sort of thing. Maybe that helps some of you. Maybe not.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #26
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

I get what the question is asking, and how they want them to figure out the answer... but by giving 3 different strategies it confuses some students. My DD is one of them. When she sees the problem she has no idea what to do b/c you didn't tell her WHAT to do. The different strategies are not practiced much IME either. We will be HSing next year, to focus on math-facts, because she can't do any mental math at this point (3rd grade). Has anyone that that even though different kids learn different ways, teaching 3 different ways (or more!) to do one problem is just confusing! If Kid A learns best with way 1, kid B learns best with way 2 ,and kid C learns best with method 3... why do they all have to show mastery of all 3 ways? And how is this beneficial to them? There is not enough time for mastery of all 3 ways, but if they chose ONE way, then they could get mastery of that before the next grade.

I've got several kids, and they all learn differently. ODD loves the way they show so many ways to get the same answer. DD2 gets frustrated and confused. My twins, I'm not sure about yet, but I will stick w/ just 2 ways. I actually LIKE the way they are showing them to make 10s in their heads, but ti's still a lot of steps, even doing them in your head. Kids in 1st and 2nd may not be ready to do them yet.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:35 AM   #27
bruenderbaby
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was an elementary teacher for eleven years before having my first DS (who is 5), so I still have a lot of friends who are still teaching in the public schools out here in California. This state is really trying to embrace the Common Core. What I have gotten from my friends is that the standards are 'general' and if you read them, you can see they not only list what should be learned, but there is an ambiguous language about the process students need to use to learn them. The testing will be all on the computer, but most schools don't have even close to the correct number of computers for the students and right now the testing site is a mess. It's still in the 'trial' stage.

Along with the standards comes new curriculum. As far as I understand there is no requirement about which curriculum needs to be chosen, but many of the new Common Core curriculums have very specific ways the standards need to be taught and implemented in the classroom. It seems to me to limit teachers' abilities to adjust to their students' needs. Of course, if the teacher is well-trained and good at their job, this probably won't affect them, except for the testing time part. Unfortunately, I think many newer teachers were never trained in how to figure out how to teach, they were just shown how to follow a teacher's manual. So if they aren't given a variety of strategies to teach, they won't.

I personally like the idea of national standards, but not the idea that there are certain ways to understand them and not so specific. I mean let's remember we are trying to prepare them for the real world. If you go to the grocery store with a certain amount of money to spend, it shouldn't matter if you write it down and add it up or round or use the ten strategy, as long as you know that you have enough money to cover what you buy. This will probably be like every other pedagogical trend, the pendulum is swinging and it will eventually swing back the other way . . .