Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Math Curriculum poll

Questions about the math curriculum you like.

If you have more than one favorites, please answer multiple times on separate posts.

1. Name of the curriculum?

2. Is it Spiral, or Mastery?

3. Does your student study on his/her own? Or do you teach?

4. What grade(s) do you like to use that curriculum for?

5. What do you like about it? (Specific details i.e. - Duration of each lesson is about 15 minutes, which is just right for us.)

6. What do you not like about it? (Specific details i.e. - For my use, this curriculum does not have enough practice exercises for student's reviewing purpose. The only review practice the students will get is 2-3 questions from each lessons. You have to come up with your own to supplement if you want to provide more review practice for your student.)

7. Do you use any supplements to go with it? If so, what?

8. Any additional comments?

Advertisement

Click Here
to join suporpoints and get your 50 poits.
Earn points for paypal cash.
Do you like shopping online? Get rebates from ebates, Mr. Rebates
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Math Curriculum poll

Great Source Math to Learn (Math To Know, Math At Hand, ECT)

I have not really thought about it but I think it is Mastery. It is actually intended to be used as a Math Encyclopedia however there are Teacher Resource Books and Problem Solving Books that go along with it. It isn't hard to turn it into a working curriculum

I teach right now. I read the book and then he does the work sheets from the Teachers Resource. He is only in 3rd grade.

We have only used it for 2nd so far.

5. What do you like about it? (Specific details i.e. - Duration of each lesson is about 15 minutes, which is just right for us.)
I like that the pages have bright colors that attract my son's attention and keep him interested. I like that everything is written in a way that makes him interested and that the concepts are presented in multiple ways so by the end he understands. It gives multiple ways to use manipulatives which is perfect for my hands on learner.

6. What do you not like about it? (Specific details i.e. - For my use, this curriculum does not have enough practice exercises for student's reviewing purpose. The only review practice the students will get is 2-3 questions from each lessons. You have to come up with your own to supplement if you want to provide more review practice for your student.)
There could be more worksheets in some topic areas and it can get wordy but over all I love this system. It works perfectly for my youngest and I love it.

I have manipulatives like counters, unifix cubes, cusinaire rods, base ten blocks ect. I did have a membership to starfall as a general supplement and in the future he may use Khan Academy like my oldest. I don't feel like the program itself needs supplementing.

iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel nee nee View Post
Questions about the math curriculum you like.

If you have more than one favorites, please answer multiple times on separate posts.

1. Name of the curriculum? math u see

2. Is it Spiral, or Mastery? mastery

3. Does your student study on his/her own? Or do you teach? i guide, because my oldest student is only second grade and can't read well. They can do most of it on their own though.

4. What grade(s) do you like to use that curriculum for? it's not st up in grades, but we've used the equivalent of k-2 so far and love it so far.

5. What do you like about it? (Specific details i.e. - Duration of each lesson is about 15 minutes, which is just right for us.) love the mastery style. Love that if works for many different kinds of learners and the blocks really drive the concepts home. I like that it comes with teaching dvds. Lessons are short and it is flexible so you can do as much or as little as you want. Pages are not busy or distracting which is very important with a couple of my kiddos.

6. What do you not like about it? (Specific details i.e. - For my use, this curriculum does not have enough practice exercises for student's reviewing purpose. The only review practice the students will get is 2-3 questions from each lessons. You have to come up with your own to supplement if you want to provide more review practice for your student.) The program teaches telling time later than I would like, but that doesn't really matter because my five and seven year old already tell time. It would not be a good program if you intended to send your kids to ps one day because they teach concepts in different orders but we are intending to hs throughout so that's not really an issue here either.

7. Do you use any supplements to go with it? If so, what? No. I do not feel like we need any supplements with this program at this time. We do do some real world math though, like cooking, if you count that as supplementing.

8. Any additional comments? MUS was actually a last minute switch for us, but I'm so glad we did it. It's a very good fit for our family.

Last edited by jen_batten; 11-23-2013 at 05:15 AM.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Life of Fred Pre Algebra (fractions, decimals, ect)

I think it is mastery, it is sort of a unique system

He does it alone

He is using it for 6th grade math but it is going well so we will keep using it until it stops working.

Everything is in context. Drill and kill doesn't work well for my oldest. He understands concepts quickly and is math/science minded but he has memory issues (ASD) so things need put into a working context. Fred has a story he can follow so he remembers things. I have taught fractions every way I could think of, through so many curriculums and though he "got it" he never could do it again when it came up. Now he gets fractions and remembers them.

I have heard that there is some religion in it but honestly since I haven't read them I don't know for sure. I am an atheist and don't like religion in any curriculum we use. I certainly don't think religion belongs in math. I over look a lot of things to find a good math program that doesn't make my oldest frustrated (again he finds math easy but having to do 200 problems for no reason leaves him staring a wall for 2 hours instead of doing work).

7. Do you use any supplements to go with it? If so, what? He usually does Khan Academy once a week for extra practice and because he likes it.

iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

1. Name of the curriculum? Math-U-See

2. Is it Spiral, or Mastery? Mastery

3. Does your student study on his/her own? Or do you teach? Mainly on their own, though I do check and help.

4. What grade(s) do you like to use that curriculum for? We have only ever used this and my oldest is finishing up pre-algrebra, so all levels.

5. What do you like about it? (Specific details i.e. - Duration of each lesson is about 15 minutes, which is just right for us.) I like that is makes sense, encourages full understanding instead of just memorization, focuses on one thing at a time, gives several ways of solving the problems, and I like that is it hands-on and very simple looking. There seems to be a good amount of work, and when we need more, there are review pages and things to do online. Also, their customer service (only needed this twice in 9 years) is excellent. I realize that doesn't really say anything about the curriculum, but it is nice to know.

6. What do you not like about it? (Specific details i.e. - For my use, this curriculum does not have enough practice exercises for student's reviewing purpose. The only review practice the students will get is 2-3 questions from each lessons. You have to come up with your own to supplement if you want to provide more review practice for your student.) I haven't really found anything I don't like about it.

7. Do you use any supplements to go with it? If so, what? We haven't really used any supplements, per se. We have off and on had various workbooks that cover different math concepts, but nothing steady. Sometimes the kids will do something on the iPad or the computer, but again, nothing steady. MindWare has a lot of books that make the math a bit more exciting and fun.

8. Any additional comments? Not really. Well, that about this specific curriculum.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Saxon Math

Spiral

I taught.

I used the 3rd grade curriculum.

I like the suggested repetitive exercises in the beginning, I liked the format where they put the things needed for each lesson in the beginning (What to prepare the night before.). I liked the spiral method. I like the drill book that comes with the curriculum. The drill covers all the materials that the student had previously learned, so it worked very good for making sure that the student retained what they had previously learned. Lessons are simple and easy to understand.

I do not like that they change their format drastically starting 4th grade, but I have not used the 4th grade curriculum, so I can not really say much about that.
There's no cute little pictures, or colors in the books, if that matters, but it does not matter to me.

I used random ebooks and printable as supplements, but I do not think supplements are necessary.

I really like Saxon! I would use it again.

Click Here
Old 11-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Singapore Math (Standard edition)

Mastery

I teach, but there was occasion my student learned on his own, but he comprehended pretty well on his own as well.

1st and 4th

I like the objective overview in the home instructor's guide.
I like the option to take it further for students who want more information on the subject.
I like that it has game suggestions.
I like that the home instructor's plan is not thick so it is more portable.

I would like the lessons to have more reviews and drills, especially for younger students. My 4th grade student is doing well with this curriculum, but my 1st grade student is going much slower with comprehension of the curriculum. The curriculum moves too fast for her. I think she can really use a different approach. The workbook does not give enough practice sometimes, but you can buy additional books offered by Singapore Math.

random e books and printable. internet resources

Click Here
Old 03-07-2014, 02:23 PM   #8
Mummyshome
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

SAXON

SPIRAL

It is independently learned, but I do assist when they need assistance.
I have the DIVE CD's for my use when needed.

Starting at level 5/4, not grade. Skills determine when to start. When they know the math facts, they start 5/4.

It is complete and covers everything. repetition is the key to learning anything. Duration of the lesson is 20-40 minutes depending on concepts being worked on. I have four that have completed through Physics and have gone to college. Scores were outstanding.

There is NOTHING I do not like about it.

Only supplement is using concepts in real life: cooking, sewing, crafts, construction (actual making a bed frame and re roofing a carport). Measuring the yard to know how much fertilizer we need. Measuring the garden area to know how much soil and supplies are needed.

We've tried about everything and SAXON wins hands down!

Last edited by Mummyshome; 03-07-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Mummyshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:37 PM   #9
cbreeding
Registered Users

RightStart

Spiral

I teach it

RightStart has levels from A-E for elementary level. My 6yo is on Level C, started at the beginning of January

Uses math games for mastering a concept in a fun way.
Lots of different manipulatives - including an abacus.
Personally I like the spiral approach they take. For example when we were learning about whole, half, and quarter concepts, each of these concepts were applied to numbers, money, time, shapes, and quantities in consecutive lesson.

I feel that DD is given a little bit of information to digest and play with without being overwhelmed trying to understand a complete concept from start to finish like telling time.

The cost mainly, it is one of the more expensive options for math curriculum. Otherwise at this point, I don't have any complaints. Other than the kids want to play with the manipulatives as toys, and I have had to search the house for some key items on more than one occasion.

Life of Fred, because DD finds it funny. She just started Book D and the majority of the math concepts are things she already knows.

I enjoy math quite a bit and don't find it intimidating at all, but I have learned things myself (like certain adding strategies)that have helped me quite a bit with my mental math skills using this curriculum.

My DD catches onto a concept fairly quickly and does not like busy work at all. RightStart does not have a lot worksheets which fits my DD's style.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:43 PM   #10
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

1. Name of the curriculum? Rod and Staff

2. Is it Spiral, or Mastery? Mastery

3. Does your student study on his/her own? Or do you teach? Both the program is more teacher directed. However DD been able to do a great deal of it independently.

4. What grade(s) do you like to use that curriculum for? Did it this year for 5th grade and will likely countinue for a few more years.

5. What do you like about it? It isn't flashy or overwhelming I can break it into smaller assignments easily or we can do it all. We spend about 2 hours doing "math" one day a week and about 10-15 in review a few other days a week.

6. What do you not like about it? This curricula doesn't really go into advanced math so at some point I'll have to find something else. Sometimes the lack of flashy get be a bit boring.

7. Do you use any supplements to go with it? If so, what? We also use Kahn academy on line and just other odds and ends mostly just to change things up than anything else.

8. Any additional comments?[/QUOTE]

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote