Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2014, 04:35 PM   #1
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I need help.

My daughter is 6(turned in december) and she loves public school. But she is exhausted, she is coming home and wigging out, its full day school so she gets up at 7am and gets home at 3pm. Im really thinking about pulling her out and home schooling her K and first grade, but I don't even know where to begin. Should I just deal with it and hope first grade is better? Her diet is great, she comes home and takes a rest or an actual nap every day (hour - 2 hours). Ive tried giving her protein rich snacks when she gets home, but its just rough. But again, she loves it, she is so social. I'm so frustrated, I don't know why they stopped offering half day K, I don't know what to do.

Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 05:43 PM   #2
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I need help.

Well I am pro-homeschooling but I might look into any health concerns before making that decision if the only reason you are considering it is because she is tired. Is she getting enough sleep at night? She needs to get at least 10 hours at night. If so I would take her to the doctor and ask about blood work to look at thyroid, white blood cells and iron. It may just be that she isn't ready yet, some kids (and adults) do get tired from being out and active all day. Given time she may grow accustomed to the expectations of school, she will definitely mature even with just a few months left in school and over the summer.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
3rugrats
Registered Users
seller

I've heard what you've just described many times from parents of Kers. It sounds like a hugely transitional year for kids and parents. I do think they learn to adjust and they get used the school day, but at the same time, if there are other factors influencing your thoughts to homeschool, your concerns about the demands and long day are part of the reason we're homeschooling. Of course, on this part of the board, you will probably find lots of encouraging comments and support to homeschool!
3rugrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:26 PM   #4
AtLeast
Registered
Formerly: rli***t
seller
seller

I don't know if this could be an option or not, but what if you just pulled her out half day?

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD
Old 03-05-2014, 06:38 PM   #5
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks! Her health is good, she goes to sleep by 8 every night and is up at 7, so 11 hours. SHe's in a blended K-1st class and they don't do naps anymore, apparently. I'll call her ped tomorrow though and see what she thinks about checking her thyroid and stuff. I'm going to call her teacher as well and see if they can go back to doing naps, they started initially but you know, the K's aren't going to want to nap when the 1st's aren't so they cut it out. Its just so hard to see her so distraught, she knows she isn't acting reasonable but can't seem to straighten it out
Old 03-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #6
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I might be able to pull her out at noon, as she's there until 1130 they don't count it as an absense, and they have art/computer and something called cycles i the afternoon, fluffy stuff really. I'll look into that too.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:39 PM   #7
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Our K' is similar and the fluffy stuff is in the afternoon and they are quite open to the idea of bringing your child home at lunch if that's what they need.

I'd certainly consider that as an option if she's otherwise doing well at school.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:57 AM   #8
Spicymustard
Registered Users
seller

I'm always a fan of homeschooling. I like how we can teach them to best meet their needs. I hear a lot if parents of full day K saying their kids are tired. Would you plan on homeschooling long term?

Join me on Swagbucks.
Spicymustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #9
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Probably not, maybe until 2nd grade?

I talked to the principal today, it didn't go well. She was like, oh, they stop naps after the first couple months and it can be really hard on them. I was like, ok, so any suggestions?? and she was like, no. Hah, ok then... They don't do half days, but I've got a call into her teacher and I'm going to see what she thinks.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #10
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I homeschooled my oldest, now 6 and in first-grade, last year for Kindergarten because she wasn't physically ready. She needs, needs her sleep to be a decent person to be around. This year she transitioned into first grade just fine. She still has some problems with transitions when she is fatigued (temper tantrums, crying, etc.). It sounds simple, but if your daughter will chew it, try some chewy chewing gum when she gets home from school. The chewing motion can be organizing to a lot of kiddos.