Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-05-2014, 09:26 AM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Originally Posted by Mommy2JJ View Post
This is interesting to read.....this is our first year and we have about 5 weeks left. Firstly, I have a 4 year old who will be 5 in July and she is in the nursery and I was not pushed at all to enroll her- just knew that I could. Even if I didn't want to next year I could leave her with someone else. There isn't any age they "have" to start. Sure after 4 they can't be in the nursery. I know the year before they did really push 4 year olds, but our director said they let down on that a little bit. Really it is and should be the parents choice. I don't feel the intensity, with the younger class especially. They play fun review games and it isn't pushy at all. Even with my 8 year old, I never feel the class is intense. We aren't super hardcore at home either. We keep it fun, and my kids especially my 8 year old enjoy the challenge! They LOVE all the songs that go with it. We love it A LOT and I am very happy we found it. Now the price is one thing I don't LOVE . You can tutor and take care of that or cut it down with a big family. I planned to tutor next year, but a surprise baby to an end to that. Just had to reply, I know nothing is for everyone and of course everyone won't love it!!
See, I have no where else to put my son, so if he is not allowed in the nursery after he is 4, I have to put him in the class. I can't afford to pay a daycare to watch him one morning a week- that would end up being wayyyy more than paying the fee to enroll him, and even that would be a stretch for us to afford right now.

I still really like most of the parts of CC, I just really don't want to start DS yet. I know you can start at any age, it's purely logistics that would make it necessary for us to start DS at 4 if I wanted dd to participate next year. I do think it would be really good for her, so it makes me sad that it isn't going to work out right now.

Question though- could we order the cd of songs and just learn them on our own? So many people say their kids like the songs, and I could totally pick and choose which ones we did if I thought the content was pointless for their age.

WPT, holistic living, Homeschooling mama to DD (7) and DS (4)
CCRMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:12 PM   #12
Registered Users
Re: Anyone NOT like Classical Conversations?

I'm kind of late in responding to this but we did CC for about a year and I ended up pulling my kids out. Several reasons led to the decision. I actually didn't think it was that expensive so that wasn't a big deal for us. We originally chose it so that I could have less to teach at home (I work part-time) and the kids could get some time with their peers. My almost 6 year old is very smart and he'd memorize the weekly work in no time but he wanted to go deeper and learn more. We weren't spending enough time with the information. Eventually he gave up and started zoning out. He could still recite the work but it meant nothing to him. For us the program was very boring, no FUN at all. We ended up putting our kids in a university model school to better meet their social needs. They spend a month or two with the material and go deep...exactly what we were missing with CC. It may not be as broad of an education but it's meaningful to them. After our CC experience I see now that I disagree with the classical model of education. I lean more towards the Charlotte Mason model but my kids NEED time with peers. Moving them to the 2 day a week school has improved their behavior and social skills very quickly. My 6 year old was very socially awkward and didn't follow directions well. Putting him in school has greatly helped in both areas. For some reason CC didn't give him the "school" environment that we had hoped it would.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote