Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #11
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandni3
I'm doing montessori but my oldest is only 2 so we're just starting. Remember, in Montessori the child leads and they go through sensitive periods. He may just be in a sensitive period for writing right now and prefers to do his math that way. It doesn't mean he won't want to use the materials later. And the great thing is you can always sell them. Do you follow any Montessori homeschool blogs? I really like What Did We Do All Day. She has two boys. Also on facebook I'm part of Montessori on a Budget group. They can give you lots of advice. Try putting the materials you want him to use out in a visible open spot or see if there's a way you can change them up, there's lots of extensions for most materials. Check out Montessori Print Shop. Oh, and I find we dont' go in our playroom/school room unless I'm doing daycare. So we're making the livingroom the playroom since it's the main area of the house. Kids like to be where we are and where the action is happening. Since me and the kids are home all day living in the house then I figure the house should be set up for them. Maybe if you make a spot in the playroom for you to do work or a hobby, you'll spend more time in there and by default he will too.
I think our issue is we might have started "too late" once the child is 6+ the no longer need the trays and many manipulative because they are able to think more abstractly. DS doesn't need to "see" subtraction anymore because he already grasps the concept so to him setting out stamps subtracting and exchanging are a "waste of time" when he can quickly count on a number line and arrive at the correct answer. (Why do long division by hand when you know how to do it and can use a calculator, kwim?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_to_DJM
I've used Horizons math for all 3 of mine, from grade K-5 so far. I really, really like it, and the kids do too (as much as a kid can like math). Two of mine I started with the K level when they turned 5. One was my DS2 who was just barely 5 when kindergarten started, the other is my DD who isn't technically in kindergarten yet (because she just turned 5 last December), but the book is a good fit for her. My oldest son has always been really advanced, so he started with the grade 1 book in kindergarten. One thing to keep in mind is that I have found no use for the teacher's guides. I bought them my first year, but gave it away and haven't used them since.
Thanks! The workbooks aren't that expensive. Perhaps I should just grab them. Is it all just book work?

Advertisement

theonenonlymrssmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:05 AM   #12
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Re: I've wasted so much money this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonenonlymrssmith View Post

Thanks! The workbooks aren't that expensive. Perhaps I should just grab them. Is it all just book work?
It is just a workbook, but you could supplement activities if you want. I always buy just one book at a time, and they're like $16. I've found a better selection at cbd.com than I've found at Amazon. I just got our next two workbooks in the mail yesterday, and my oldest (who just got the 1st book of 5th grade) did 6 lessons in bed last night! They keep their interest and I like the cyclical method of teaching.

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:12 PM   #13
MagnoliaWhisper
Registered Users

My Mood:

The best advice a friend gave me, is a method I LOVE, my child may not and to be open to that.

I wouldn't drop a bunch of money on anything.

I would buy used like I bought Heart of Dakota used (less then 40 dollars for every thing! For a year!). Or do easy peasy or ambleside online (both free!).

I would wait to spend a lot of money till you pinpoint the direction he is good at going in.
MagnoliaWhisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #14
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by syfitz View Post
Sell it if you aren't getting any use out of it. Honestly, some wasted money/unused curriculum is par for the course in homeschooling. It happens. You have to expect it. Fortunately, you can often make a good bit of your investment back by selling things.
Yep. I think we all go through phases in HSing (especially when you are just starting) of needing to experience different materials and philosophies before being able to narrow it down to fit our kids and selves. about the wasted money. It hurts sometimes. I've spent way too much over the years too. BUT I started selling on ebay and making lots of it back. And now I have a clearer view of what works for my kids, and what I want to do with them.
And whoever posted about kids going through phases, that is so true too. It may be beneficial to hang onto everything and they might become interested in it.

One thing I would suggest to you, based on the threads you've started here that I've seen. You may want to just chill the rest of the year on school work, and take a good solid chunk of time to read about different philosophies/methods/curriculums. When I realized our K curriculum was a total bomb, we took the rest of the year pretty easy, just playing games and w manipulatives, reading bfiar books and such, and I went intensively into reading about homeschooling, approaches, curriculums, etc. It really helped to take that time and try to get a better handle myself. There's so much out there and it can be so overwhelming. But once YOU know the path you should take, you can relax and start on that path.
For me, I'm just starting on the path. Ds1 is in 1st. We are using a CM curriculum, I just picked up a Montessori book and want to incorporate some of that (already was somewhat Montessori without realizing it ), just picked up Liping Ma's book on teaching math. I'm building on where we already were. I know I'm not 100% where I want to be as a hsing parent, but that's ok. I really can't be 100% there yet because I need to journey, learn and grow into that position. I need to read and let things absorb and it's not going to happen overnight.

Another thought.... these methods are (as far as I know) along the same lines as I said above, but applying to the children. They take time. Both methods trust in the children's ability, their intellect, their tendency to grow best when given good soil and food for their minds. It's not always something that you SEE growth immediately. With my own ds, at the beginning of our school year, he would bound away from some of our lessons like "THANK GOD THATS OVER!". But I had read about the method so much, and it had my trust, so I kept with it. Now, some of the books he hated, he looks forward to. Some of the books he loved, he just tolerates now lol. But overall, I've seen so much growth. He's really developing an awareness to thinks outside of and greater than himself. He's almost 7, hitting the stage of crazy energy, yet displays some really amazing self control. Sometimes I'm truly shocked.
Anyway, all that to say, once you find a method you trust, that really speaks to who you are, who your child is, what you feel is best for him, then you can relax and take it as slow or as fast as need be. Don't let yourself get pressured into doing something that isn't the BEST thing for you and your child.
There's so much out there to tell us we aren't doing enough, or aren't on par with the rest. Just ignore it and do what you feel is best.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #15
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainandRedemption
Yep. I think we all go through phases in HSing (especially when you are just starting) of needing to experience different materials and philosophies before being able to narrow it down to fit our kids and selves. about the wasted money. It hurts sometimes. I've spent way too much over the years too. BUT I started selling on ebay and making lots of it back. And now I have a clearer view of what works for my kids, and what I want to do with them. And whoever posted about kids going through phases, that is so true too. It may be beneficial to hang onto everything and they might become interested in it. One thing I would suggest to you, based on the threads you've started here that I've seen. You may want to just chill the rest of the year on school work, and take a good solid chunk of time to read about different philosophies/methods/curriculums. When I realized our K curriculum was a total bomb, we took the rest of the year pretty easy, just playing games and w manipulatives, reading bfiar books and such, and I went intensively into reading about homeschooling, approaches, curriculums, etc. It really helped to take that time and try to get a better handle myself. There's so much out there and it can be so overwhelming. But once YOU know the path you should take, you can relax and start on that path. For me, I'm just starting on the path. Ds1 is in 1st. We are using a CM curriculum, I just picked up a Montessori book and want to incorporate some of that (already was somewhat Montessori without realizing it ), just picked up Liping Ma's book on teaching math. I'm building on where we already were. I know I'm not 100% where I want to be as a hsing parent, but that's ok. I really can't be 100% there yet because I need to journey, learn and grow into that position. I need to read and let things absorb and it's not going to happen overnight. Another thought.... these methods are (as far as I know) along the same lines as I said above, but applying to the children. They take time. Both methods trust in the children's ability, their intellect, their tendency to grow best when given good soil and food for their minds. It's not always something that you SEE growth immediately. With my own ds, at the beginning of our school year, he would bound away from some of our lessons like "THANK GOD THATS OVER!". But I had read about the method so much, and it had my trust, so I kept with it. Now, some of the books he hated, he looks forward to. Some of the books he loved, he just tolerates now lol. But overall, I've seen so much growth. He's really developing an awareness to thinks outside of and greater than himself. He's almost 7, hitting the stage of crazy energy, yet displays some really amazing self control. Sometimes I'm truly shocked. Anyway, all that to say, once you find a method you trust, that really speaks to who you are, who your child is, what you feel is best for him, then you can relax and take it as slow or as fast as need be. Don't let yourself get pressured into doing something that isn't the BEST thing for you and your child. There's so much out there to tell us we aren't doing enough, or aren't on par with the rest. Just ignore it and do what you feel is best.
Thanks for that! I'm not comfortable taking that much time off so, what we have decided to do is order one "quarter" of the moving beyond the page curiculum. This will allow me to not only test to see if its a good fit, but also realize where DS is in a "public standards" sort of way if that makes sense. Perhaps it will ease my mind on knowing I haven't failed completely this year. It will also allow me to take the next 9 weeks to figure out where to go next without trying to make lesson plans, and research new methods at the same time. If it goes okay, and I need another 9 weeks plus summer break, then I'll order the second quarters lesson plans. I'm really great flu they sell the units in quarters because it was easier on the pocket book since I've already spent so much this year, and we can try it on for size before committing!

Last edited by theonenonlymrssmith; 03-13-2014 at 12:03 PM.
theonenonlymrssmith is online now   Reply With Quote