Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #11
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Organizing Your School Year

We're a mess, so I'm not even going to attempt to decipher our schedule (or lack thereof), but just wanted to add that if you are thinking of planning the whole year at once, you might want to schedule a whole week off every 6 weeks or so. You may not end up taking that off, but it is more than likely things will come up and that "cushion" week would help you catch up so you don't feel like you are behind all year.

Advertisement

2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #12
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Re: Organizing Your School Year

I have the "plan" for the year printed out and in a binder. It is week by week organized by those who put together the curriculum online. We follow it pretty loosely. We do about one week of reading per week, sometimes more and sometimes less. There are books on the reading list that we just don't read, and there are books we've added to it. We have to file an intent to hs with the state, and that requires us to set dates. Our year begins and ends in the middle of july, and we hs year round with breaks here and there. Our breaks are; 2 weeks in June for our yearly vacation, when visitors come, and when we feel like it.
I am not that concerned with finishing our year's work in any specific time frame. Right now we are on schedule to end first grade (according to how we file with the state) with about 4 weeks of our curriculum to finish. That could change because we could move faster or slower depending on what other projects we are working on, whether we decide to take an extra vacation, whether we just decide to plow through some of the reading (which has happened before), etc.

My main goal right now isn't getting through the material in a specific time frame. It's to do things that spark my kids interest and imaginations. I want to see them excited about the world, what it has to offer, inspired about their capabilities, curiosity sparked, etc.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:20 PM   #13
CCRMSS
Registered Users

My Mood:
Well, I had no official plan this year and that worked great so I don't think I will have one for next year either. I am sure that is easier with the younger grades and only one kid though too.

But for the moment, we loosely follow the public school calendar as far as start date. But we have had no official breaks since starting- it just varied based on what we have going on each day/week. We only school 4 days a week though. We didn't do much the entire month of December because we were soooo busy with other things. Any time we need a day off, we just take it. I plan to continue school through the summer, but more relaxed. I told dd she could officially say she was in first grade come June, though we will be starting first grade math in April, and probably not start the 1st grade reading/writing book until July, even though we will finish the k one in May.