Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-10-2014, 11:50 AM   #11
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What's your favorite kitchen knife?

We use a knife bar to store our knives. It keeps them handy and easy to see, plus they don't cut us and clank together in a drawer. Ours is similar to the picture, but I can't remember where we purchased it.

Advertisement

Old 03-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #12
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle
We use a knife bar to store our knives. It keeps them handy and easy to see, plus they don't cut us and clank together in a drawer. Ours is similar to the picture, but I can't remember where we purchased it.
Knife bars are a great option too. I have a tendency to forget about them because I don't have a place to put one in my kitchen. Make sure your knives are 100% dry before going on though. The trapped moisture can cause rust.

ETA: Ikea has decent knife bars for super cheap.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:57 AM   #13
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama*Kim
Knife bars are a great option too. I have a tendency to forget about them because I don't have a place to put one in my kitchen. Make sure your knives are 100% dry before going on though. The trapped moisture can cause rust. ETA: Ikea has decent knife bars for super cheap.
I really like my ikea knife bar
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #14
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama*Kim View Post
Knife bars are a great option too. I have a tendency to forget about them because I don't have a place to put one in my kitchen. Make sure your knives are 100% dry before going on though. The trapped moisture can cause rust.

ETA: Ikea has decent knife bars for super cheap.
Ah, I never knew about the moisture, thanks! I often rinse my knives off and pop them back on the bar. I'm ashamed now.

I used to have this Ikea knife bar and I highly recommend it. It was the best. We left it in our old kitchen because it went with everything but I was sad to find that I couldn't really replace it with something as nice looking for a good price.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:39 PM   #15
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
It's generally the bars that rust, not the knives, but its best to avoid it anyway so you don't end up using a rusty knife in your food. The cheaper flat bars like the ones from Ikea have more surface contact with the knife, trapping more moisture. The more expensive bars usually have two thinner rails that actually contact the knife itself, so it's less of an issue, but still worth keeping in mind.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #16
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama*Kim
It's generally the bars that rust, not the knives, but its best to avoid it anyway so you don't end up using a rusty knife in your food. The cheaper flat bars like the ones from Ikea have more surface contact with the knife, trapping more moisture. The more expensive bars usually have two thinner rails that actually contact the knife itself, so it's less of an issue, but still worth keeping in mind.
I've had an expensive one with the rails of magnets before & it was a pain to keep clean. Food splatters would dry in the groves & prove a nussiance. The completely smooth Ikea bar wipes clean very easily.

I also do a major no no & toss my knives on the silverware rack in my dishwasher. They dry completely in my dishwasher (Miele), but I know I shouldn't subject them to the 2hrs of wetness during each cycle. Oh well
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:21 PM   #17
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by expaik

So these are both Wusthof?

I'm way too cheap to get them professional sharpened.. still trying to find some way to do it myself.
Joann's fabrics offers a third party scissors sharpening service every quarter or so and the one by me takes knives too! You drop them off for a few days and then pick them up. It's like $4 per knife. If you call Joann's they will tell you when the next one is

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #18
mamacita1222
Registered Users

I far prefer my wustof chef's knife to my henkles chef's knife. It is lighter and feels better in my hand. And my bread knife is awesome. Changed my life! What did I do without it?
mamacita1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:50 AM   #19
Abradyw
Registered Users
seller

I have all Global knives and the 7" Santoku is my fav.
Abradyw is offline   Reply With Quote